Copeland - IXORA - NEW LP

Man. fuck these entitled bands that think their fans owe them way more than things are worth. I really like bands like Copeland and Lovedrug and supported them for a long time. Their current defensive/entitled attitudes are really ruining it for me.

BQmMBFK.png

it's a single LP in a high-quality gatefold jacket. 30 isn't a terrific price, but it's a cut above the quality the SRC single LP reissues, which went for $24.99 or so. it's also a business decision – this isn't a record label that can charge lower prices on each title while making profit off the 10-50 LPs in their discography all at once. a band in the post-label era is wise to build a little more profit margin into its merch sales if they wish to bankroll further records while still earning a living wage.

whether any of you choose to buy the record or not, conflating this with the Lovedrug debacle is absurd. though you all may see this pricing as "entitlement," quibbling with a band over 5 or 6 bucks looks just as entitled to them. you say overpriced, and the band likely interprets it as you thinking you should get it for free. and with the prevalence of music piracy, i'm not at all surprised a band would think its fans are unwilling to pay them a fair price. vinyl folks seem so ready nickel and dime their favorite bands, forgetting that the artist-fan relationship isn't strictly a financial one. 

and when this pressing sells out, you'll certainly be paying more on discogs and ebay. if the band hadn't pressed more, you'd be paying 75-100 for the OG pressing (which, by the way, was originally sold at $30). aaron's not a prick for saying that sort of thing any more than you all are for dissing a guy for trying to make his livelihood.

Listen, the first run made sense at $30. Brand new album, produced by the band, no label backing. Sure.

This is a repress, and a new press of a second version of the same album. 2 LPs for $60. Not a far cry from Lovedrug's $100 2LP.

It's just the way the band is handling it. Make up some bullshit excuse for price gouging if you're going to do it. Don't just say "hey, it's better than eBay"

Listen, the first run made sense at $30. Brand new album, produced by the band, no label backing. Sure.

This is a repress, and a new press of a second version of the same album. 2 LPs for $60. Not a far cry from Lovedrug's $100 2LP.

It's just the way the band is handling it. Make up some bullshit excuse for price gouging if you're going to do it. Don't just say "hey, it's better than eBay"

i think the disconnect between the band and some of you folks is that the band sees them as separate, independent full length albums and some of you think they should've just made a 2xLP. really, it's like grabbing Eat Sleep Repeat and In Motion – 2 LPs total, but not a 2xLP. you still can't make an honest comparison between a 2xLP ($100) and 2 separate LPs ($30 ea.), even if you (rightly) see the second as an extension/remixed version of the first. i wouldn't buy Twin on vinyl, too weak by itself and all, but the fact that the band intends them to be separate records is indisputable.

for Copeland, there's absolutely *no* financial incentive to lower the price of the Ixora repress – though the band may have had enough cash to pay manufacturing costs upfront this time around, they're still without a label and licensing the artwork. 

some folks would fuss about how much they paid for their OG copies if the repress cost less, anyway.

it's a single LP in a high-quality gatefold jacket. 30 isn't a terrific price, but it's a cut above the quality the SRC single LP reissues, which went for $24.99 or so. it's also a business decision – this isn't a record label that can charge lower prices on each title while making profit off the 10-50 LPs in their discography all at once. a band in the post-label era is wise to build a little more profit margin into its merch sales if they wish to bankroll further records while still earning a living wage.

whether any of you choose to buy the record or not, conflating this with the Lovedrug debacle is absurd. though you all may see this pricing as "entitlement," quibbling with a band over 5 or 6 bucks looks just as entitled to them. you say overpriced, and the band likely interprets it as you thinking you should get it for free. and with the prevalence of music piracy, i'm not at all surprised a band would think its fans are unwilling to pay them a fair price. vinyl folks seem so ready nickel and dime their favorite bands, forgetting that the artist-fan relationship isn't strictly a financial one. 

and when this pressing sells out, you'll certainly be paying more on discogs and ebay. if the band hadn't pressed more, you'd be paying 75-100 for the OG pressing (which, by the way, was originally sold at $30). aaron's not a prick for saying that sort of thing any more than you all are for dissing a guy for trying to make his livelihood.

Sorry for the name-calling. It had nothing to with this current situation. I was merely saying, based on his previous tweets and replies, his response here does not surprise me. SRC is over priced. This release is really overpriced. I'm done/

Logged on to Facebook to check on the comment I made earlier and to see the other angry posts about the pricing only to find they have all been deleted by the band.

Seriously? I logged on earlier to see if anyone had brought up the price and was surprised that no one was complaining. That explains a lot. It's also really pathetic. 

whether any of you choose to buy the record or not, conflating this with the Lovedrug debacle is absurd. though you all may see this pricing as "entitlement," quibbling with a band over 5 or 6 bucks looks just as entitled to them. you say overpriced, and the band likely interprets it as you thinking you should get it for free. and with the prevalence of music piracy, i'm not at all surprised a band would think its fans are unwilling to pay them a fair price. vinyl folks seem so ready nickel and dime their favorite bands, forgetting that the artist-fan relationship isn't strictly a financial one.

Seriously? Are you in the band. It would make a lot of sense, because like the band, you know little about how making/selling records works. You're saying because Aaron knows there is demand for the record he wants to make sure he reaps the benefit of high prices for limited goods. So he cuts out the middle man and doubles the value himself.

SRC's over priced $25 single LPs is not a good comparison. Do you know what the cost per unit of a single LP with jacket from GZ is when there are 3000 copies? (I'm pretty sure that was supposedly the original pressing). And please tell me how these records are better quality than $RC's reissues. At least they're not dumb enough to press them at GZ.

Seriously? Are you in the band. It would make a lot of sense, because like the band, you know little about how making/selling records works. You're saying because Aaron knows there is demand for the record he wants to make sure he reaps the benefit of high prices for limited goods. So he cuts out the middle man and doubles the value himself.

SRC's over priced $25 single LPs is not a good comparison. Do you know what the cost per unit of a single LP with jacket from GZ is when there are 3000 copies? (I'm pretty sure that was supposedly the original pressing). And please tell me how these records are better quality than $RC's reissues. At least they're not dumb enough to press them at GZ.

would be rad to be in Copeland. it's just a screen name, though...

my label does the vinyl, i'm familiar with the pricing and the process. for your part, you seem to have a tenuous grasp on economics, or, at least, an idealistic and unrealistic view of how Copeland should work economically. you can more or less pinpoint the bare minimum ppu (OG press: 3k copies, three colorways, jackets, inserts, taxed & shrinkwrapped & shipped to Florida. not sure about the repress size.) and wonder why the band isn't willing to sell closer to cost. you're overlooking the larger market dynamics, where consumers are buying single records at 25-35 dollars a pop. it's not just SRC, either. sure, some labels are selling things at 15-20, but these are the exceptions. there's no compelling market reason to sell a limited supply product in high demand at a below-market price.

since Copeland are unbacked investors in a niche market, the risk of financial loss on a repress (with many potential customers already content to own the OG press) is heightened. 1k copies (again, not sure how many were pressed) at ~6 bucks a copy and you've still gotta move 20% of your stock to break even. and the goal of any small business is not to break even, but to support its employees (4 official members + touring members + merch/design team) and accrue capital for future business moves. it's quite distinct from running a one-man label supplemental to a full-time job. but, if you want to entertain that comparison, it's standard for a label to make profit off of numerous releases in a year, while bands rarely release more than one album a year. if a label is making $5/sale off of 5 releases, an independent band would need to charge $25/sale above cost to accrue the same profit per unit.

i mean, a DIY utopia where bands had no holds to selling their products below market would be rad, and indeed, some labels do just that. more often than not, those folks are supplement their vinyl with merch sales, design work, odd jobs. or, in the case of me and many of my peers, we release music at our own cost, in our free time. so, i can see why y'all aren't thrilled with Copeland's prices, but to make the band out as bandits for being risk-averse, business-savvy, and wishing to be compensated for their reputation of 10+ quality years of work as a band is pretty, well, entitled. responding to demand is how business works, and the flip-side to having all your favorite albums (re-)pressed is that prices might very well start to climb.

onsumers are buying single records at 25-35 dollars a pop. it's not just SRC, either. sure, some labels are selling things at 15-20, but these are the exceptions.

You're just flat out wrong here. The fact is, they have no middle man. No label taking a cut, no retailers taking a cut, that should decrease the price, not increase it. You act like the vinyl release is the only thing funding their band.

since Copeland are unbacked investors in a niche market, the risk of financial loss on a repress (with many potential customers already content to own the OG press) is heightened.

You're right, I forgot Copeland doesn't have investors like all those other indie bands out there touring on their own, pressing their own records.

You're right, I forgot Copeland doesn't have investors like all those other indie bands out there touring on their own, pressing their own records.

A label is an investor, advancing cash for records and tours, stipulating a set percentage of sales, and ultimately gambling on enough ROI to expand. Plenty of indie bands get a foot in the door thanks to label funding. If bands didn't cause a demand for upfront cash, even small indie labels would be obsolete.

Copeland's not "all those other indie bands" that are trying to make it – they've worked hard since the early 2000s to build a brand, and it's not unthinkable that they wish to be paid in line with that. They could sell concert tickets for $12, like all those super rad DIY bands we all love, but they command and deliver upon a higher ticket price. I'm not sure why this is such an affront to anyone here, knowing how much y'all are willing to drop on a Harry Potter soundtrack LP or Deja Entendu or whatever it is.

I ultimately sympathize with you, mr. dreamover... would much rather have paid $20 for the record instead; but, when most people are willing and able to pay a bit extra (relative to, say, your boutique label), saying "they don't have to sell it for that much" is really just complaining.