One side of record won't spin/play/do anything

Three possible explanations:

A. You are doing something totally wrong.

B. You are describing something totally wrong.

C. Poltergeist.

Posting a video is the best possible thing you can do to get help here because what you are describing is incredibly far fetched but that doesn't mean its not happening.

I think it's safe to say we can all agree it's a poltergeist. House was probably built over a cemetery - took the headstones, but left the bodies. so typical.

i will share my dum-dum story. I recently bought a record off discogs for a guy i know in the netherlands (the seller wouldn't ship overseas). I thought i would be nice and check the record out and give it a spin before i shipped it off. I was unfamiliar with the band and their catalog. I pulled the clear vinyl record out, checked for warping  and dropped the needle to play a side. It sounded fine so i flipped the record over and as soon as i dropped the needle it went screaming straight the center of the record with a "sssssscccccrrrrrrrrr...." I though crap i just totally f'd this guy's record - torched my karma for the day. However, after some some serious investigation I realized that entire side was blank.

there ya go

and like i said, this happens on one other record i have, salem's i'm still in the night ep. side a won't play but side b will. fuck knows what's going on. everything else plays fine, being as an ocean, rooms of the house, burial, man overboard, they all play as they should.

time to call ghostbusters.

but, really, is this a laser-guided record player?  It could be a warp in the record that puts the edge underneath the laser that allows it to spin.

my dad accidentally lost his mat on his old record player and thought the thing was busted, but I came home and looked at it and all he needed was a mat to make the record register as the right height.