One side of record won't spin/play/do anything

Never seen anything like that.  The record looked fine, certainly not warped enough to cause any platter rotation problem.

Does it always play one side of that record and always not play the other side?

Agreed that it pretty much has to be the turntable and not the record.

yeah, always. and it's the one side i want to play as well, 'cause the side that plays only has 3 songs on it. i was really pissed at first 'cause it was £40 but i suppose i don't mind waiting for the repress. but yeah, it doesn't have any marks or anything and after googling what a warped record looks like i can confirm it is not warped.

OP is kinda owed an apology here people...

On topic, I have no clue what would cause that to happen.

i'm not too bothered by the sarcastic responses 'cause i did laugh at most of them and it did seem ridiculous, disliking my comments is a bit immature though (not that you did but someone did)

The record looks bowl shaped. Side two is concave, side one is convex.

My guess is the table doesn't turn when there is no record on it right? 

the platter must sense the records weight and allows the table to turn, the sensor must be located on the underside of the platter near the outside. So when the concave side is down and the weight of the record is nearer the outside of the platter the sensor is tripped allowing the table to turn, when the concave side is up the weight of the record is neared the inside of the platter and the sensor is not tripped.

This is just my guess. I might be totally wrong and not have any idea what i'm talking about.

But the record does look bowl shaped

EDIT - it might be something simpler like a small button that is depressed on the platter when a record is placed on it, and the fact that the concave side is up the record is not depressing the button?

Try to get the platter to spin without a record on it.... see if you can figure out what makes the platter spin.

That is crazy but that also looks like a very crappy turntable and I'd bet the stylus on there is doing more harm than good to any record it comes in contact with. 

My advice would be to toss it and get something a lot better. However that aside I've never seen anything like that where it wouldn't move just because you flipped over the record! 

Really though, the only things I can think of that could cause this are weight or shape.  There is a sensor somewhere that isn't being triggered when you flip the record.

Look around without the record on the platter - is there a red light anywhere? This is a laser, which would mean the issue is shape/height related.

If you push down (lightly) on the place where the record would rest, does the platter move at all? If it does, it may have a weight sensor. 

These things are there to protect your automatic arm from starting and playing the bottom of your platter.

Do you have any extra mat?  Go to the craft store and buy a thin cork square and cut it to size and put your record in on top of that, this could potentially solve both weight or height issues.

HAHA, WOW! YOU GUYS ARE REALLY COOL! GOOD JOB! IT'S SO COOL HOW YOU ALL EMERGED FROM THE WOMB KNOWING EVERYTHING THERE IS TO KNOW ABOUT RECORDS! REALLY EXCITED FOR ALL OF YOU!

If you take the record off and move the tonearm over the platter, does it spin?  If so, then it is not a weight issue and that probably also rules out any sort of height sensor.

I don't really know if turntables have height or weight sensors.  Maybe they do, but I have 3 turntables and none of mine have any sort of sensor on them.

If you take the record off and move the tonearm over the platter, does it spin?  If so, then it is not a weight issue and that probably also rules out any sort of height sensor.

I don't really know if turntables have height or weight sensors.  Maybe they do, but I have 3 turntables and none of mine have any sort of sensor on them.

some absolutely do.

I own two turntables and neither have one either, but there are thousands upon thousands of different turntables in the world.

Well, that's just rather unfortunate OP.

if it is some sort of sensor, I know absolutely fucking nothing. Anyway, hope you get it all figured out and soon!

*side note*

it says there are 0 users, 0 guests, and 0 anon reading this topic right now, yet here I am typing this. maybe there is some sort of sorcery going on...

I would go for the height sensor or the shape, maybe is not triggering well on b-side, even a micra can make this shit happen, That's why we all love the manual TT hehe... even when you are a lazy fat boy that hates to stand up off the couch to flip to record so it won't stays spinning on the center for hours wearing the needle...

Sometimes it's all about the TT, have a Technics 1200 that's skips my warped Scissor sisters Ta-Dah, To play it well have to put wight on 2.5 grams. when I played it on my Numark TTUSB it would play amazing at 1 gram and it plays like it's perfectty flat... Let's say, shit happens, get a new TT, it's funny to have 2 of them ;)

I think what we can all take from this is, never trust your "girlfriends, moms, sister" for a free turntable.

1. What model is this turntable?
2. Can you take a photo of the record on a flat white surface?

I have one suggestion though perhaps the first side you spun is making a "U" shape. When you flip it to the side that doesn't work, try pressing down on the label and then the edges of the record make sure the whole thing is touching down on the platter. It's possible that the record is warped (but not warbly) in an upside down "U" shape and the center is lifted off table, or perhaps it's vice versa and only the center is touching and the edges are lifted off thus not creating enough traction or whatever the hell is needed to detect weight on that TT. 

Here's what the hell I'm talking about when I say "U" shaped warp (refer only to the first part of this video where he places the 45 on the surface and pushes down, notice the mushroom effect and only the edges hold it up weight is clearly unevenly distributed in this manner)