Advice for putting my collection into storage?

I'm moving to Japan for a few years in July, and I've decided that I don't like the idea (or the cost!) of trying to ship my records overseas with me. As much as it kills me to do so, I'm putting my whole vinyl collection, turntable, and stereo set-up into storage for a while.

Does anyone out there have experience with doing this? I already plan on using a temperature controlled storage unit, but is there anything I should know other than that?

I put my collection into storage at the end of last year when I moved house as it is unfortunately quite difficult to find apartments these days with enough space to store +500 records! Anyway, the only advice I can offer is temperature control (which you've already thought of), and to obviously take care of how you arrange the boxes. Maybe damp would be the other concern, but if you're going into a place that's temperature controlled hopefully they will also take sufficient precautions regarding any wetness getting into your shed.

I use these pallets from Amazon in my storage unit.  They keep stuff off the ground in case of a flood.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003SI704A/ref=ox_ya_os_product_refresh_T1

You can also buy bags of dessicant to help keep the moisture down.  They make all kinds of stuff for this.

Target sells some plastic storage cubes that are about 13" x 13" x 13" on the inside and they are stackable.  Those would be good for storage as well.  I have some at home and I love them.  Very sturdy and the stacking feature is nice. I can't find a link to them so maybe they are only available in store.  They come in white or blue. There may also be a black one.

This probably goes without saying but you will want a climate controlled storage area with indoor access only.  These will be much better protected from the elements than outdoor units.

Just sell everything to me.

You would buy someone's whole collection?

double sarcarsm font in one thread, w00t!

for the OP...Climate control, valuables insurance rider + pictures and documentation, elevation - check, check, check.

Only thing left is 24 hr security guard and you're all set ;)

Have a great time in Japan!

I stored my collection, about 500 LP's/700 7"s for three years, two and a half years in one place and then moved them and stored them for another six months. I have two, 2X4 Ikea Expidits and I put them lengthwise on top of each other and on top of an executive desk and filled them like normal. Not too tight, not too loose and never laying flat. It was as if a day hadn't passed...As annoying as they are, I use polyE resealable jap bags on my records, I'm sure they helped some.