Morrissey/Smiths- What are the essential albums?

kyle

everything

I'm sure it's true but it doesn't really help me figure out where to start.

That was more/less a statement of "anything you get is good"

But, if you want suggestions I'd say grab the "hits" 1 & 2, find the songs you love the most and look into those albums, from there you'll be able to move around. The catalog is not that giant, so it's easy to get it all quick.

The Moz solo stuff can be a bit more difficule to "get" but most of it should be cheap at used stores, so $3/$4 for a CD is worth the difficult 2-3 listens.

Rank is a good place to start, theres also Best 1&2 but its too much stuff and youll probably end up getting the real albums anyway..

If you go with the albums, the first S/T is awesome, but the Queen is Dead is the true masterpiece. Meat is Murder has its charms and youll want it someday but its not so easy to listen to so you can stay away from it for now.

Morrissey, id say go with Southpaw Grammar, thats the one i really prefer, it sounds really good. the old Kill Uncle is good too. His last 2 studio albums You Are the Querry & Ringleaders of the Tormentors are worth listening to as well.

Guest kingbuzzo

With the Smiths I'd say get Louder Than Bombs and Singles to start with. The Best albums are nice but don't work as well as Singles does in my opinion. After that, if you want to, get the studio albums.

With Morrissey you need to get Viva Hate, Bona Drag, Your Arsenal, You Are The Quarry, Ringleader of the Tormentors and possibly the newest Greatest Hits collection. From there fill in the rest. His solo albums are very hit or miss.

Morrissey - #1 - Your Arsenal, #2 - You Are The Quarry

Smiths - #1 - The Queen is Dead, #2 - Self Titled

With Morrissey, his early stuff is more pop, and his newer stuff is more rock. They are kinda different. It all changed right around "Vauxhaul and I", which is considered his most mature album by critics, but it's not as catchy or upbeat as his other albums.

Also, a lot of Morrissey's best work is his B-Sides... There is a compilation called "My Early Burglary Years" that has some of the best ones on it. Standout tracks - "At Amber", "Sister I'm a Poet", and probably my favorite Morrissey song, "Jack The Ripper", which is live on this comp but probably better than the studio version. And that's usually a hard feat!