CATS RULE, DOGS DROOL!

So we have a serious feral cat problem around my house. My neighbors have a big heart and feed stray animals. Over a year ago, a feral cat showed up and had a litter of 4. Those four plus the mom roam around our house. We had our own issues with that litter explained a little while back in this thread. Almost lost two kitties because they were in my neighbors truck when he started it up. The neighbor ended up having to take the kitties to the vet and replace the belt in his truck. They were lucky to still be alive. 

Momma cat got pregnant a second time and had two babies that we saw. I am assuming any others that were born died from complications or predators. Only one of the babies is living now due to an accident. Now the momma kitty is pregnant for a third time, and probably by one of her babies. Also, we caught one of the older babies trying to mount one of the younger babies. It's obvious that our neighbors don't trap, neuter, release them as they should. It's very frustrating to see the feral cat population increase and not to mention the havoc they wreak on my indoor kitties, and my stress levels. I am already traumatized from an accident I don't want to explain.  Every time I plan to get in the car I have to honk my horn, bang on the sides and hood of the car to ensure that no cats have crawled up in there. The outside cats torment my inside cats. I have had to place cardboard and tape on my beautiful glass french doors that lead to the backyard because my male cat will get upset and spray the walls and windows. I also can't open any windows on a nice day because the cats will fight through the screens. It's a never ending nightmare. I'm thinking we should just buy a trap so we can trap, neuter and release the cats, but that takes time and money that we shouldn't have to spend. I'm very frustrated and angry with the whole situation. Sorry, I'm just at a loss of how to cope with this and I needed to rant.  :wacko:

And do bring the thread back down.

Two weeks ago, I lost my companion of 15 years to renal failure. We had been battling it for 4 months. As a research scientist, I had access to necessary treatments and tools for keeping him as long as I could. Before he became sick, I had no knowledge of how prominent this disease was for cat mortality. I quickly sought out fellow scientists who worked directly feline health research, and specifically renal research. I became aware of the Winn Feline Foundation, a group who specifically raises funds and awareness for feline health. They give out grants to researchers who specifically study feline health.

I reached out to the Winn Foundation, and discussed the possibility of doing a fundraiser for their cause, and specifically towards renal research. I will be posting a thread specifically for it, but I will also comment here on it. I will be making 3" patches bearing my companion, a few auctions (records included), an a benefit show in the southeastern US.

So please, keep an eye out for the updates. This is the last I took of my companion, while he enjoyed one last adventure outside.

10958573_799481466754773_873329984_n.jpg

I'm thinking we should just buy a trap so we can trap, neuter and release the cats, but that takes time and money that we shouldn't have to spend. I'm very frustrated and angry with the whole situation. Sorry, I'm just at a loss of how to cope with this and I needed to rant.  :wacko:

If you have the means, do it. Look around online for places that will assist. Some places will do this for dirt cheap, supply traps, or possibly even pick up the feral kitties, or give this information to your neighbors and offer to help if you can. It's a terrible cycle that won't end. I'm sorry, lady.

If you have the means, do it. Look around online for places that will assist. Some places will do this for dirt cheap, supply traps, or possibly even pick up the feral kitties, or give this information to your neighbors and offer to help if you can. It's a terrible cycle that won't end. I'm sorry, lady.

There are a few organizations in the area that help with these kinds of things. I read you can even rent traps from pet stores, so I'll call around and see what I can do. Thank-you!

• 3 weeks later...