Numark PT-01, vinyl newb question

I just made the decision (and possibly the mistake) of purchasing a Numark PT-01. I bought it to listen to vinyl. I'm not interested in its archiving technology, however I like the fact that I can listen to it through my PC speakers without having to buy a receiver, amp, additional speakers etc. The sound quality is definitely not high fidelity, which is fine. I honestly don't think it's that bad, although I don't have much to compare it to. The point is: I've read on a lot of vinyl forums that playing records on this turntable can/will potentially damage or accelerate wear on the vinyl!! One person said you might as well be playing records with a nail if you're going to play records on such a turntable.

Apparently this is due to the heavy, nonadjustable tone arm weight, no anti-skate technology, the ceramic cartridge and/or the stylus being cheap. This allegation is also leveled at most other USB turntables that sell for around $100. Is there concrete truth to this allegation of damage infliction on vinyl? If there is, would the replacement/upgrade of the cartridge/needle help avoid damage? Or, do I need to just replace it with a decent retro turntable?

The bottom line: I can deal with bad sound quality, but I CANNOT afford to damage my vinyl. I have some albums which are precious to me. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

p.s. I did begin reading the DO NOT BUY A CROSLEY thread. I still wanted to ask my question about possible damage specifically, though. I hope you don't mind.

I don't have the money to buy an expensive set up at the moment, and there's some vinyl I really wanted to listen to. It doesn't sound THAT bad to my ears, though I don't have much to compare it to as I said. I'd be fine continuing to use this set up until I could afford something better, IF and only IF someone could assure me that it wouldn't wreck my records. Doesn't sound like that's the case though. Do you know for a fact it will damage the vinyl? I'm not questioning your intelligence, I'm just hoping that it's not true.

It's not like if you play your record on it a few times it'll disintegrate into plastic dust, it's more of a subtle change that will affect the grooves in your record and damage them over time. Just look on craigslist if you can't afford a brand new turntable, I'm sure there are many suitable ones for a low cost. And I know what you mean about the sound not NEEDING to be hifi right now. I'm kind of in the same spot. Just no money to buy a good setup.

How many spins do you think it takes to start accumulating noticeable damage from a turntable such as mine?

I am currently looking on Craigslist for something. I think to start with, I will just get a retro turntable with a pre-amp, and find a way to hook it up to my PC speakers. My PC speakers actually sound pretty damn good. I won't have the expendable income to buy a receiver and new speakers for a while. In the meantime, until I get a new turntable, I think I will refrain from playing my most precious vinyl on the Numark (which happen to be brand new reissues by the electronica band Boards of Canada).

It only takes one spin. Return it if you can, groove wear is nothing to fuck with.

Think of it this way, good sound might not matter to you now... If you have a crappy amp, crappy speakers, but a decent turntable that won't prematurely wear your records, your records just won't sound good now... should you ever get a better system in the future, you records will make the step up in quality with you

But if they're all worn out, they won't sound good no matter what they're played on. They'll be damaged to the point they'll need to be replaced. And let's face it, a lot of new vinyl today is too expensive or rare to replace. Protect your investment.

You have quoted the problems with these turntables in your first post so have answered your own question really.

If everything with it is perfect it shouldn't damage your vinyl but is it worth the risk? You don't know it's done it until it happens and they are that poorly made I doubt the quality control is any better.

There is nothing in them you can change or replace to make the problems go away and all they really are is a very cheap and cynical way of cashing in on peoples trust and ignorance.

For someone with experience I would always suggest retro as a good turntable is a superbly engineered but fragile piece of equipment. But without experience if you go retro there are always risks as well as you do not know that your prospective purchase hasn't had the shit kicked out of it.

It's not all bad news, in your shoes I would look at 2nd hand direct drive DJ turntables that have an S shaped arm, there are loads about for no money and then get a phono stage that has a USB output which you can use with your PC and also with a proper amplifier and speakers if you want to.

To help you understand my suggestion belt drive in a audiophile turntable is a plus and what you should aspire to but in a DJ turntable it means low quality, in a DJ turntable you want high start up torque which belt can't give you but in an audiophile table you want noise isolation which belt gives you. The reason for the S shaped arm is for the correct tracking geometry, in a DJ table the straight arm is to assist in back queuing but really screws up the tracking angle and can ruin your vinyl just as quickly as a Crosley.

As long as you avoid the Technics SL1200 as this is the industry standard and commands a price to reflect this there are plenty of 1200 clones about from Sony and Gemini etc, put a half decent cartridge in it, set it up properly and enjoy.

The big thing to remember is that it's very easy to build up an expensive collection of vinyl so you owe it a decent means of playback, and you say you are happy with crap sound now but I bet that will change over time once you hear just how good vinyl can sound.

Perfectly good vinyl playback should not cost a lot of money but it can cost you time in research and digging around to get hold of the right equipment at the right price.

It only takes one spin. Return it if you can, groove wear is nothing to fuck with.

Think of it this way, good sound might not matter to you now... If you have a crappy amp, crappy speakers, but a decent turntable that won't prematurely wear your records, your records just won't sound good now... should you ever get a better system in the future, you records will make the step up in quality with you

But if they're all worn out, they won't sound good no matter what they're played on. They'll be damaged to the point they'll need to be replaced. And let's face it, a lot of new vinyl today is too expensive or rare to replace. Protect your investment.

One spin.