URGENT: CALLING ALL VINYL COLLECTORS

Hi guys,

I'm a trainee journalist working on a feature about the increase in vinyl sales with a deadline of just a few hours away...

I was just wondering if anyone had any brief comments about why they love vinyl so much? What inspired you to start collecting in the first place? 

Any comments would be much appreciated!

Thank you all,

Hannah

I started collecting vinyl for the utility received of acquiring tangible items, when I was in high school I was really into punk rock and use to acquire everything thing as an illegal download (Foreign EPs of D-Beat bands.) One day I strolled to the local "punk" shop and found a copy of Toxic Narcotic's LP used for $6, so I pulled the trigger on it. It wasn't until I picked up the hobby again in college that I found all the benefits of quality. 

Sources: Future VC mod and self proclaimed kewlest and tr00est pvnx on the board :P

PS: Why is no one complaining that this thread is in the wrong section of the board yet?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Are you still trying to get boys to do your homework for you or do you want to start a huge fight?

Quick notes from a unique perspective...Collected up to 2010, stoped and wasn't paying attention untill last Summer, three years. Up untill this past year, I only collected Punk and DownTempo Hip-Hop. I never collected any of the mainstream "Classics" that I grew up with. 90's Grunge and Alternative. Why??? Those records were out of print, old, beat up and expensive. Majors focus on the money and there's more to be made when there's less production to be done. At the same time as MP3's were gaining in popularity Punk labels were putting download codes in the records for free (A lot of them first started by putting CD's in the records and then it became DL codes). This is one of the big things that really helped kick start the resurgence. Do I buy the DL from Apple for 8 bucks or the record and DL for $12???

The major labels hate all of this. Giving away free product, Digital DL, more production for the records, Higher cost, equals less profit. But times are tough and businesses has to adjust. The rise in popularity has compelled the majors to become invested in vinyl again.

Three years later, last Summer, I started collecting again and it's a new landscape in some ways and exactly the same in others. The Punk & Alt labels are still living off mac & cheese and artistically, more and more as time goes on (record production as an art form in and of itself??? Yup, that's where it's heading,) producing records for bands that they love far too much...On the other side, Unlike three years ago, today I can pretty much buy any mainstream record I want and most of them have been remastered(sometimes this doesn't work out though) and semi- decked out on better quality materials.

This is why I love the resurgence. It's giving me the chance to own vinyl that without it, wouldn't be available to me. And as majors continue to press vinyl I think they might be getting back into the spirit of music and records. The resurgence also allows them to press less popular titles too. And they do that more and more.

Too many people moan and complain about how expensive these records have become and for good reason. My complaint's a bit different, I'll pay good money for a super decked out Remastered whatever...for an album that's important to me but notice my description above, "semi-decked out." I wasn't annoyed that Nirvana's 20th Annv., triple LP for In Utero was $55.00. I was annoyed that there wasn't any kind of booklet. I expected the same 20 odd page booklet that came with the super crazy CD set. It wasn't there and I felt cheated. And majors need to stop acting like printed inner sleeve are gonna kill them.

Overall, the resurgence is a beautiful thing. When has having more options ever been a bad thing? Let's just class it all up a bit more. And I think that's all a matter of time. Ironing out the details and creating new standards.

Are you going to post a copy of your report here, for us? I'd like to read it. 

Edit: Here's an example, just stumbled upon this, a repress of System of a Down's Toxicity Album? Yes Please! Two days ago, it was Mars Volta's De-loused in the Comatorium.

http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/100520-system-of-a-down-toxicity-repress-on-mov/