URGENT: CALLING ALL VINYL COLLECTORS

I was just wondering if anyone had any brief comments about why they love vinyl so much? What inspired you to start collecting in the first place? 

It started for me back when I was just a little kid. I always liked the fact that I could afford to buy multiple LPs and 7s as they were far cheaper during the CD boom period (even most new cassettes were more expensive than records). That and I love the large artwork and all that same old stuff. I'm 29 and I grew up with siblings (one being 20 years older than me) so records were just what I was introduced to and what stuck with me. I did buy an occasional cassette here and there. I didn't get into buying CDs until stores (in my area) started offering used CDs but records have been the main format I've stuck with for 20+ years now. Anyways, I don't know if this will help your article but it's pretty much all I got.

From the time I was a baby through 10 years old we had vinyl in the house. In 1993 my mother was given a CD player for her birthday. My brother and I were mostly listening to cassette tapes but I still loved using the turntable every now and then and when I was a toddler I used to bother my mom to put on a record with cartoon illustrations on the cover. Even at a young age I loved music and remember watching MTV a lot.

I started collecting CD's when I was about 10 because that was the times then and my brother and I got all these BMG music club CD's for a penny deals and built up a respectable collection. Then one gloomy day in the early part of 2008, I was watching Almost Famous for the first time and there's a scene wherein the main character's older sister bequeaths all her records to her him (an aspiring journalist....) and he's flipping through the covers and that scene sort of haunted me. All the titles were 60's and 70's mainstream pop, rock and folk but it suddenly hit me: what if I had 12" vinyl record sleeves to flip through all iconically like that but the covers were of all my favorite albums from the 90's until current day?

That thought or impression alone inhabited me to such an extreme that since around a week later when I found Tool's Undertow and Deftones Saturday Night Wrist in a Hot Topic which my friend then purchased for me (and I took as a "sign"), I was absolutely hooked and determined to replicate my CD collection in vinyl presses. Also, a few months prior to this I had put my 14 year old dog down and I think this new hobby was also a way of coping with the grief.

My initial plan was to replicate the CD collection but then I found myself trying new things and buying records of things I never had on CD. This frenzy of collecting probably came to a head between April 2010 (when I bought my own first turntable) and about May 2011 after I had purchased my second new turntable. I still get into purchasing spikes here and there but I nothing like it was in like 2009 and the aforementioned era.... though, come to think of it, I've got a pretty release-heavy month coming in May....

Shit...

I think this is a much more interesting study on what you can get away with on VC when you have a cute girl in your profile pic.

Wrong forum? I'd say this would be better suited to "Everything Else."

Not using the search tool before posting? How many of these threads have we had posted in the forum? At least two this week.

New poster posting a well-trodden, uninteresting topic? No one beats her up about it.

So HannaLouise, I'd take this opportunity to rob a bank or start up a pyramid scheme. Just make sure you got some record nerds around to look the other way.

That being said, I'm a helpful soul so I'll give my two cents. I grew up listening to records with my Dad. The medium provides me with a tangible, physical connection to the music, the artist, and in some ways, my childhood. It's not so much about the sound quality to me as it is about having the sleeve in my hands, reading the lyrics, admiring the artwork, while watching the record spin.

I've just got into them in the past 2 years. Reason why, because I like the fact of having a tangible product and listening to an album in its entirety something that happens rarely these days. I used to have cassettes then CDs but pretty much tossed all of them, I never thought CDs were something I wanted to keep or care about. Vinyl is different, almost every time I listen to Vinyl thats all I'm doing is listening to music, waiting for the one side to end, then flip it and repeat. Where as CDs or MP3s I start jumping around or dont pay attention to the same level as I do when listening to an LP.

Also for the day I have kids, once they grow up they can listen to all the music I was into. Ive been trying to buy all the albums that I've loved over the years and growing up in the 90s its hard as 90-00s vinyl is quite pricy but its so rewarding when you score it.