Shipping via USPS Media Mail

Hey guys, this is going to seem like a pretty rudimentary question, but I've actually never shipped any records via media mail before. I want to print out labels at home from USPS, but I can't seem to find a media mail option when I try to do this on their website. I've also looked into printing labels via PayPal, which does include a media mail option. However, it only includes Delivery Confirmation, and I can't find an option to get a tracking number.

Therefore, for those who ship via media mail frequently and print your labels at home, how do you go about doing this so that you can include tracking as well?

Anyway, this board has been super helpful since I started collecting, and I hope you guys can help me out once again. Once I figure this out, I'll be selling a lot of my records that I want to get rid of on here. Thanks!

Delivery confirmation is pretty much the same thing as tracking.  If I recall correctly, the sign at my nearest post office even says Delivery Confirmation is now just called Tracking.  To my understanding, the only actual difference was that they were only required to scan a package with delivery confirmation when it got delivered, not at every location or whatever.  But, they usually did it anyways.

TL;DR - They're the same thing essentially.

I've only had luck printing out media mail labels from the PayPal interface, the USPS site doesn't have any option I can see.

When you ship through PayPal, it automatically includes a tracking number. Delivery confirmation is tracking.

Delivery confirmation is pretty much the same thing as tracking.  If I recall correctly, the sign at my nearest post office even says Delivery Confirmation is now just called Tracking.  To my understanding, the only actual difference was that they were only required to scan a package with delivery confirmation when it got delivered, not at every location or whatever.  But, they usually did it anyways.

TL;DR - They're the same thing essentially.

I've only had luck printing out media mail labels from the PayPal interface, the USPS site doesn't have any option I can see.

Thank you both so much!

One last question, do you guys purchase mailers online? If so, what do you use?

Whenever you ship media mail, you will get a number on your receipt that is a sort of tracking number - mine always start with 9011 and are like 18 digits long or so.  I've not found any reason to pay extra for delivery confirmation, but something like insurance might be useful to you in certain situations.

And if I were you, I'd go ahead and possibly buy some mailers if you don't have a bunch of used ones laying around.  Unless you plan on buying something like 4 times as many as you are selling, cause I've found that only some of the used mailers I have are worth re-using.  

I think there is a thread on how to pack a record for shipping.

USPS won't sell you media mail direct online because they don't trust that you're shipping media goods - paypal on the other hand is a rebel.

Ship through them - it's easier. Even auto-fills the addresses and everything - just pick the class and the ship date and you're good to go.

Hey guys, this is going to seem like a pretty rudimentary question, but I've actually never shipped any records via media mail before. I want to print out labels at home from USPS, but I can't seem to find a media mail option when I try to do this on their website. I've also looked into printing labels via PayPal, which does include a media mail option. However, it only includes Delivery Confirmation, and I can't find an option to get a tracking number.

Therefore, for those who ship via media mail frequently and print your labels at home, how do you go about doing this so that you can include tracking as well?

Anyway, this board has been super helpful since I started collecting, and I hope you guys can help me out once again. Once I figure this out, I'll be selling a lot of my records that I want to get rid of on here. Thanks!

You can order alot of mailers from USPS

There are methods around the internet that demonstrate how to cut correctly around an LP and you can double package it using all free materials from the USPS. USPS will even deliver boxes to you. Order large boxes and cut 12 1/2 squares just make sure you're using actual cardboard and not the flimsy envelopes and double that up for extra protection.

Here's one such method

There's also a post on the boards here but I can't find it. The man in that video cuts squares out makes sure it's taped well around the edges.

I usually ship Media Mail through my local post office because I don't know how much each record weighs/what the size of a mailer is. Sounds like shipping via PayPal is painless once you have these measurements, though. Does anyone know these dimensions? 

You can't just select Media Mail online as stated earlier. Only if someone pays for goods. Also the way Media Mail works in the USA is a range weight, not a pure weight unlike First Class. With Media Mail you can do 2-3 pounds (that's about 5 records!) for the new price of 4.33 shipped/tracking) within the one pound range, 1 record or a double LP you can do it for about 3.45 (these are post office numbers) there's only a discount through eBay I believe. Not too sure about the PayPal method if there is a discount there someone might be able to clarify that

You can't just select Media Mail online as stated earlier. Only if someone pays for goods. Also the way Media Mail works in the USA is a range weight, not a pure weight unlike First Class. With Media Mail you can do 2-3 pounds (that's about 5 records!) for the new price of 4.33 shipped/tracking) within the one pound range, 1 record or a double LP you can do it for about 3.45 (these are post office numbers) there's only a discount through eBay I believe. Not too sure about the PayPal method if there is a discount there someone might be able to clarify that

Thanks! I was also talking about shipping via paypal after selling something, etc

I usually ship Media Mail through my local post office because I don't know how much each record weighs/what the size of a mailer is. Sounds like shipping via PayPal is painless once you have these measurements, though. Does anyone know these dimensions?

I've always just done 1 title ( regardless of number of LPs) equals 1 pound. Not entirely accurate, but close. I've never had trouble. Even shipped the Blink 182 -TOYPJ with bonus 7s for 1 lb.

You can use this link to get to PayPal shipping without having someone pay for the goods.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_ship-now

Also, I try to use first class mail as much as possible. One 12 inch record weighs about 8-9 ounces packaged. 7 inches can be mailed for 4-5 ounces packed. It's also a little cheaper than media mail and takes less time to ship. Using the PayPal shipping, you get the cheaper, online rate as well. 1 pound of media mail with tracking is $2.92, 2 pounds, $3.40.

Thank you both so much!

One last question, do you guys purchase mailers online? If so, what do you use?

I found that "How to create your own mailer link on the boards. http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/11203-make-your-own-lp-and-7-mailers-for-free/

Again you can order the cardboard boxes from large priority boxes from USPS and they will send them to you for free or you can go directly to any post office and pick them up for free as well.

The specifications are as close to typical sturdy Uline mailers. 

5.jpg

7inchmailer.jpg

Hopefully this post helps you and pleases the negative Nancy's rep_down.png jackholexxxx

rep_down.png Deep Blue LOLO

I found that "How to create your own mailer link on the boards. http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/11203-make-your-own-lp-and-7-mailers-for-free/

Again you can order the cardboard boxes from large priority boxes from USPS and they will send them to you for free or you can go directly to any post office and pick them up for free as well.

The specifications are as close to typical sturdy Uline mailers. 

5.jpg

7inchmailer.jpg

Hopefully this post helps you and pleases the negative Nancy's rep_down.png jackholexxxx

rep_down.png Deep Blue LOLO

I am not pleased. I do not like paying for your shipping supplies. These are not suitable for mailers anyways and I would be disappointed in a seller using these. Also if USPS discovers your deception the buyer might be on the hook for the priority rate, or the package returned to seller.

yeah I tried turning one of those priority boxes inside out to ship something once, not a record, and it still had priority printed on there in a couple places and the PO straight up would not let me ship it unless I did priority. First class is bee's knees if it falls in the weight limit (<13oz), especially for ebay since they get to people so quick, but media mail cannot be beat price-wise. Recycle mailers you've received, or ask a local store to see if they will sell you any. I used to buy them for $1 a piece from a local store, which isn't the greatest rate, but charging $5 for shipping covered the cost of a new, unused box and the PO rates so still worth it. Another store close to me just gives them to me if I ask since I'm in there so often, but that guy is beyond cool so that may be the exception and not the rule

I order my mailers from amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Record-Mailing-Boxes-Mailers-FingerPop/dp/B0034PU6Y8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397409237&sr=8-1&keywords=record+mailers

28.97 for 50 mailers is a good deal to me.

I have used these for about 150 shipments. never an issue

Just ordered another 50 as I posted a bunch more on discogs and people eat that stuff up

You can use this link to get to PayPal shipping without having someone pay for the goods.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_ship-now

Also, I try to use first class mail as much as possible. One 12 inch record weighs about 8-9 ounces packaged. 7 inches can be mailed for 4-5 ounces packed. It's also a little cheaper than media mail and takes less time to ship. Using the PayPal shipping, you get the cheaper, online rate as well. 1 pound of media mail with tracking is $2.92, 2 pounds, $3.40.

Wow. No way... Had no idea I could do this without someone sending me paypal funds....

You sir, just saved me a lot of frustration from standing in post office lines....

Thank you thank you thank you!

Wow. No way... Had no idea I could do this without someone sending me paypal funds....

You sir, just saved me a lot of frustration from standing in post office lines....

Thank you thank you thank you!

No problem! It's pretty slick. I have never stood in line at the post office to buy postage because of it.

This might be a stupid question, but after I print out my own labels and put them on my package, can I just drop it off in one of those blue boxes on the street (I live in NYC)? Or, do I have to go to the post office? Do I have to wait in line and drop it off with one of the workers there, or can I just drop it off in one of the package slots there?

Sorry for my ignorance!