Buying My First "Real" Turntable. Advice Appreciated

Im coming from almost your exact situation, upgrading from my AT-LP60 after having it after two years. I'm gonna suggest the U-Turn Orbit. Quite a few people here have gotten one or are waiting on one. There's a whole thread about it just a couple topics down.

I'd suggest getting the Orbit Plus which has the acrylic platter and a Grado Black1. That's about $300 and then another $20 for shipping. If you want auto return you can get the Q-Up for another $60. Or you could go all the way with the cart and get a Grado Blue1 instead. Or both, but that would run you like $420-ish? Look up some reviews and stuff online.

Or obviously the Debut Carbon, as that seems to be a very popular choice.

The Audio Technicas are cool because of the auto return feature. I have the Debut Carbon and If you're like me you'll pop on a record somewhere in the middle of the A side take a trip to the living room of "wander off" and come back to the needle spinning around the sticker label! :X

If you wanna go used / "vintage" (depending on what year you find), the Technics SL1200MK2 is a great table. Production stopped around 2010, but they're still really easy to find and usually sell for well within your budget. If I remember correctly, I bought mine for $300, but you might be able to do far better. If you're patient, you might be able to score one locally for much cheaper. 

These things were built like tanks, and they hold up very well.

• 2 weeks later...

If you wanna go used / "vintage" (depending on what year you find), the Technics SL1200MK2 is a great table. Production stopped around 2010, but they're still really easy to find and usually sell for well within your budget. If I remember correctly, I bought mine for $300, but you might be able to do far better. If you're patient, you might be able to score one locally for much cheaper. 

These things were built like tanks, and they hold up very well.

I completely agree... get a 1200 you will not be dissapointed! Also if you really get the upgrade bug you can upgrade the tonearm later and get into really good sound (comparable to 2k tables). Un-upgraded the 1200 sounds superb though so dont believe any audiophile that tells you otherwise, one in good condition will wipe the floor with a debut or entry level rega.

I completely agree... get a 1200 you will not be dissapointed! Also if you really get the upgrade bug you can upgrade the tonearm later and get into really good sound (comparable to 2k tables). Un-upgraded the 1200 sounds superb though so dont believe any audiophile that tells you otherwise, one in good condition will wipe the floor with a debut or entry level rega.

I've been looking for one and now that I know the price range, I'm saving up . They are very well regarded

I'm in the exact same position as OP but my starter table is much worse. I currently have a Yamaha RX-930 from probably the late 80's and a five set of Klipsch speakers and my current turntable is a TTUSB. Thinking about the Debut Carbon. Is that the way to go?

Yes I would most definitely recommend that. Get rid of that TTUSB asap.