Out Now: Constantines - Shine a Light (Reissue)

I am a huge fan of these guys and totally stoked that they're getting back together this year to tour in support of the 11th anniversary of Shine A Light, which will see a re-issue.

The re-issue will be the album LP with a bonus 7" of three Shine A Light b-sides. First 250 on orange vinyl, with pre-orders through You've Changed Records in Canada and the Sub Pop "Loser Edition" in the US.

Via You've Changed Records:

You’ve Changed Records is very happy, proud, and excited to announce June 10th, 2014 as the release date for a deluxe reissue of The Constantines – Shine A Light LP.

Originally released in 2003 by Sub Pop Records and, in Canada, by the late great Three Gut Records, Shine A Light has been out of print since 2007. In that time it’s been named one of the top 200 records of the 2000s by Pitchfork, and one of the greatest Canadian albums of all time by CBC Music. Even more important and more moving have been all the times someone has told any one of us in the band that this record and these songs have meant something to them.  Thank you, sincerely; and for asking us if we were ever going to repress this record, thank you.

This reissue has been pressed from a newly cut vinyl master and the original collages used in the gatefold artwork have been re-photographed; they’re battered at the edges, and coloured by their age 11 years on. Included with the LP is a special bonus 7inch containing 3 B-sides recorded at the time of Shine A Light: Thank You For Sending Me An Angel (a Talking Heads cover); Raw Youth (a Royal City cover, recorded live); and Hotline Operator (2003) (a studio experiment distinct from the Tournament of Hearts song with which it shares a name). This is the first ever vinyl pressing of these 3 tracks.

Pre-orders to Canadian Addresses can be placed now through our mail-order shop; for international orders, please visit our pals at Sub Pop Records. The first 250 orders will receive limited orange vinyl edition of the LP. LP + T-shirt bundles are also available.

Maybe best of all, The Constantines will be performing a number of shows in 2014, indoor, outdoor, in any any weather; bring on the hail!

With Love.

Canadian orders by You've Changed Records:

http://youvechangedrecords.com/category/records/#Shine%20A%20Light

American orders by Sub-Pop:

https://megamart.subpop.com/releases/constantines/shine_a_light

Release date is June 10, 2014.

AW HELL YEAH

You sir have not lived

I know! We're right across the river from Ontario...I've been listening to the band for like 7 years and I don't recall ever hearing about them playing here. I'm sure it might have happened once or twice that I just missed for whatever reason.

• 1 month later...

My pre-order came in the mail today!

I got the orange Loser Edition of the LP. Packaging is great; Nice heavy cardstock gatefold with the lyrics and album notes printed inside. I really can't wait to play this record and the b-sides 7".

Also worth noting Bry Webb's excellent second solo album came out two weeks ago on Idee Fixee

http://ideefixerecords.com/releases/if008/

Here he is playing an acoustic version of "Young Lions" from Shine a Light and "Translator" from his new record Free Will

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMwX2O09LsA

• 1 month later...

Has anyone gotten copies of this reissue that are decent quality?

I've had two copies. The first one had some crackling in a few places and a scratch that produced a steady click through Goodbye Baby and Amen, so they sent me a replacement copy. The replacement copy sounds like FM radio throughout most of side 1, so bad I didn't even bother listening to side 2.

The copy of Shabazz Palaces' Black Up I ordered at the same time is bearable, but it also has some distortion on the first track and slight crackling throughout. 

Am I having bad luck, or is Sub-Pop vinyl just badly pressed? I don't think I'll be risking it with any more.

I've had two copies. The first one had some crackling in a few places and a scratch that produced a steady click through Goodbye Baby and Amen, so they sent me a replacement copy. The replacement copy sounds like FM radio throughout most of side 1, so bad I didn't even bother listening to side 2.

The copy of Shabazz Palaces' Black Up I ordered at the same time is bearable, but it also has some distortion on the first track and slight crackling throughout. 

Am I having bad luck, or is Sub-Pop vinyl just badly pressed? I don't think I'll be risking it with any more.

The first copy i purchased was missing the 7" and had a chunk missing across young lions. second copy is fine and has 7".  loser is in the mail.

okay, i'm kind of glad i'm not the only one who thinks it sounds off. mine sort of sounds a bit out of tune. at first i thought it was an intentional re-mastering to sort of have the guitars/keys sound a bit warbly, but i'm pretty positive that there's something off with it. 

did you contact sub pop directly? i got mine from you've changed, but i think it's the same pressing, just distributed differently.

I played mine twice tonight (once through headphones and once through speakers) to see if it sounded off and mine seems to be OK.  The mix does sound a bit different than the old CD copy I have. It seems like the mids are a bit higher or something - the bass guitar sounds fuzzier/dirtier, and it's noticeable on the song "Shine a Light" and in parts of "Goodbye Baby and Amen". But I have no crackling or warbly parts. I ordered through You've Changed as well.

I played mine twice tonight (once through headphones and once through speakers) to see if it sounded off and mine seems to be OK.  The mix does sound a bit different than the old CD copy I have. It seems like the mids are a bit higher or something - the bass guitar sounds fuzzier/dirtier, and it's noticeable on the song "Shine a Light" and in parts of "Goodbye Baby and Amen". But I have no crackling or warbly parts. I ordered through You've Changed as well.

is it me or do the vocals seem NOTICEABLY clearer/more up front? i spun it today and when "shine a light" came on, it sounded like bry webb was in my office...the orange wax is super purdy