Talons: "New Topographics" /400 Black at Topshelf - 20 copies @ $20 each

That closer, Petrovice, wow, between the 2:00 and 4:00 minute mark is so good. Sounds like something Evpatoria Report, TMSJ or TPSQ would do, and then it drops with the slow build up to the end.  Somewhat anticlimactical finish / it does not completely fall apart- but I think that is sort of what I'm feeling with the theme of the album so far.  You have really tight spots and then unwinding in places...like, where is this going?  Need many more listens, with good anticipation.  

edit: maybe just I want the ending of Petrovice to be switched with middle section. This album messes with my head more than any other that I can recall in some time. Not a bad thing at all -- these guys go deep with their music -- it really does seem to be saying 'something', yet without vocals or samples.

Definitely buying when it gets within striking range. No $60 bundle, though.

Don, I think we share a brain sometimes. You just have a much better way with words than I do!

I feel that way as well. After a couple listens it all feels a bit disorganized. I thought the opener was a nice opening build-up track, but then felt like track 2 should have blown up into something. Instead it felt like either a 2nd opening track, or what I thought sounded more like a great closer. I even remember checking to make sure the stream I was listening to didn't put the album on shuffle.

And I'll be honest, that shrill violin is still bothersome. There are moments when the strings sound perfect, but then the shrill version reappears & it's hard to overcome. The production quality overall sounds top notch but then that violin seems to cut right through & muddy the waters.

I still need to give it a few more listens, because there really is a lot for me to like. But I'm realizing that Talons is a bit too polarizing for me to put this in a regular rotation. I feel like I'm trying too hard to like this more than I really do.

And I'll be honest, that shrill violin is still bothersome. There are moments when the strings sound perfect, but then the shrill version reappears & it's hard to overcome. The production quality overall sounds top notch but then that violin seems to cut right through & muddy the waters.

Wait, really?  I thought that they very much toned down the "shrill factor" on the strings on this album.  At least compared to Hollow Realm.  They don't exactly bother me on HR, but I can see how others could find them off-putting.  I thought the mixing was way better this time around.

Anyway, I think that's the beauty with music – and instrumental artists, especially: the notes and arrangements are the same for everyone who listens, but we're all able to interpret it differently and place distinct values on what we're listening to.  Like for me, Reverie doesn't feel like it should "blow up into something".  It's all about getting lost in those layers, strings, and melodies.  Really enjoy it.  I'll be revisiting it again later today to see if the track order bugs me.  I didn't have any gripes on the first go, and I remember thinking that the closer really does have some solid "finale" moments... but I do need to spend more time with the whole thing.

Also, are you guys basing your listen off the stream?  The quality of streams are typically rather shitty.  Around 192 kbps more often than not.  I held out for a 320 rip - so I can't really compare the two - but I'm wondering if you're cheapening your first listen with a shoddy bitrate.  I'm unsure just how much the production may suffer, but it's just a thought I had.

And finally, I reached out to Topshelf to inquire about stateside copies, since I hadn't really heard any news on that front.  Have you guys read any updates recently?  Because the response I received confirmed that Topshelf will be getting "plenty" of the standard / black copies to go around... but oddly enough, the e-mail made it sound like this is super common knowledge.  Like it's been posted a half-dozen times already.  I'd like to think that I keep up with my vinyl news... but other than Oli stating that Topshelf haven't reached out to them - on the last page - I hadn't heard any updates in quite a while.  But anyway, there you have it.  Topshelf will be selling them as soon as their stock arrives from overseas.

• 3 weeks later...

Any idea when this will be available through Topshelf? I want to support them and their label but I'm having trouble waiting. Any longer and I think I'll just have to get one for $23 on Amazon. This album is still so freaking good.

Same boat, man.  I've been enjoying this album a lot more lately, and would love to own it.  I'm over that haze variant thanks to both cost and lack of sound quality, from what ptrsev'sa said.  At this point I have full intentions to snag a standard black copy from Topshelf... whenever that may be.  I've been checking daily and haven't heard mention of when they may go up.  I highly doubt they're still in transit, but I guess you never know.

I've been on a metalgaze kick of late, and also keep revisiting the stream on this one.  There's a track in the middle that's got one major hook that earwormed me last week, so I'm likely in on the Black when TS lists them if it's not some stupid $30 shyte.  I was able to use the 20% off on 3 records late August.

• 4 weeks later...

Any idea when this will be available through Topshelf? I want to support them and their label but I'm having trouble waiting. Any longer and I think I'll just have to get one for $23 on Amazon. This album is still so freaking good.

I've been on a metalgaze kick of late, and also keep revisiting the stream on this one.  There's a track in the middle that's got one major hook that earwormed me last week, so I'm likely in on the Black when TS lists them if it's not some stupid $30 shyte.  I was able to use the 20% off on 3 records late August.

I'm just concerned that Topshelf has made 0 effort to import any copies on vinyl, thus far.

Thanks for the info Don.  Hopefully that'll happen sooner than later!

Amazon UK has it for $27 PPD to the US, probably black. Might go that way unless TSR is cheaper or splatter.

Thanks, Oli!

edit: Black will match my Hollow Realm, just hope "Topshelf" prices. Will pick up some more of those when the new one comes in since they are $8 and still have the Clear and White available.

To me, it sounds like a very natural progression for the band.  They traded in a bit of their technicality for better compositions this time around.  Reverie may be the least "happening" song on the album, but it's one of the more gorgeous songs I've heard this year.  A lot of moments feel like they'd nicely accompany some post-apocalytpic scenery; love the way those desolate vibes tie in with the album art.

Still can't justify that package, though, even if it is available.  I love me some clear-splatter vinyl, but I actually think the black looks a whole lot cleaner with the elegant packaging.  Will buy either variant, either way.  Really hope Topshelf can secure some copies soon – I'd love to spin this.

Man that splatter is nice. But I'm passing at that price. Looks like I'll just wait for Topshelf to get it.

Alright, waiting for TSR it is. Splatter looks pretty sweet but not worth getting the extra stuff with it.

These are in now — sorry it took so long! We have 20 on black. http://www.topshelfrecords.com/products/534264-talons-new-topographics

These are in now — sorry it took so long! We have 20 on black. http://www.topshelfrecords.com/products/534264-talons-new-topographics

Thanks so much! :) The whole album has really been a great grower for me, and those 2 minutes in Petrovice, though simple on music paper, are so close to worthy of the oft-overused term "EPIC."  19 Left. 

And as always, thank you for the discount code, media mail shipping and great service. Got my new Tye Dye ready for next weekend.

Ordered as well. Going to feel great to finally own this one. I agree with Don – it's been a huge grower, even after leaving a pretty good first impression, personally. I came pretty close to ordering one from a third-party seller on Amazon - which would've been only a dollar or two more than Topshelf, even with the discount code - but I'd like to keep my money with the label. Still; if you're eventually reading this and Topshelf has cleared out their stock, you'll probably want to go the Amazon route. I haven't seen anything remotely cheaper.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I don't know what it is about this album, but I came back to it about a month ago and it's really clicking with me right now for some reason. I guess all the substandard post-rock that's coming out nowadays makes this stand out in starker relief? Whatever it is, it's working for me.

I heard also that we should expect new material from these guys by summer's end, so that's something, at least!

This is great news!

Both releases have never gathered dust, even the noisy Topographics - Black and Haze variants. My brother and I went 50:50 on a Nitty Gritty Mini Pro 2.5 FI and keep it at his house since he's an empty nester. I don't know if it can even save those haze pressings with heavy grit (from the initial slide into the sleeve and mailing movement).

• 1 year later...