Bands That Bash Fans Thread

What's up with the band's beef with Needledrop/Anthony Fantano?

Motherfucker looks like Bobby Hill.

Fucking 11/10. I didn't see the resemblance before.

I have never listened to Whirr, but I have a lot of respect for bands who don't give a shit about publicity or their fans' opinions. They're not doing it for anyone but themselves and that's cool.

If some bands realized that the majority of their fans are somewhere on the autism spectrum, they'd probably stop prancing around like their shit smells sweeter than most.

On topic, I hear that Tyler, the Creator talks shit directly to his fans. That's cool in my opinion, because if you like Tyler, the Creator, you probably deserve it. He doesn't even take himself seriously so I kinda like him as a person.

On topic, I hear that Tyler, the Creator talks shit directly to his fans. That's cool in my opinion, because if you like Tyler, the Creator, you probably deserve it. He doesn't even take himself seriously so I kinda like him as a person.

Also, he actually writes multiple songs based off this concept. But I imagine the majority of his fans seriously are the most bothersome, annoying folks. But then again, people attract similar souls to that of their own.

This has been going down since that NeedleDrop guy gave the Whirr 'Around' EP a crappy review and then Pitchfork knocked on the Nothing LP. That escalated the "war". It's been awesome to watch and now a few months later, we get more hilarity from Nick B. himself. 

Reading through Whirr's FB and the comments people have left, and the band's responses and insults to them, the whole thing is hilarious. Some people take things waaaaaay too seriously and to me, it's awesome to see a band that doesn't give a fuck and not afraid to call people out. Sometimes it does come across very juvenile, but sometimes you gotta lower yourself to some people's levels to push their buttons. 

I find it hilarious.  They're not being ass holes to people who say, "Awesome set last night!", they're jokingly being assholes to trolls who think they're funny.  As for the sexist/ableist comments, they're not running around calling people "fa*g**ts" and "cunts", so I'm hardly offended.  I don't use the word pussy, it's just not in my vocabulary, but I don't see it as that big of a deal.  However I would never think to call someone a "fa*g**t" in any way, and when some of my shit head friends say it I call them out on it.  Whirr isn't doing that.  If they were, that'd be too far.

Can someone please describe to me how consistently insulting everyone for weeks to drum up publicity is defined as 'not caring'? Not caring would be not acknowledging the reviews and not insulting everyone. I couldn't give less of a shit about this band but the fact that people have respect for someone or a band because they aggressively insult people without discretion is fucking absurd. If this gets you off, I suggest turning on Fox News and lusting for their unapologetic, awful opinions as well.

"Not giving a shit" is probably the least respectable quality a person can have in my opinion. I'm supposed to respect someone because they don't take seriously the ramifications of what they say and do? No way. Whirr's childish "trolling" since the incident is hardly the problem. The problem is their ableist and ignorant comments that started the whole controversy.

Also, bands that complain about reviews need to get some perspective.

Can someone please describe to me how consistently insulting everyone for weeks to drum up publicity is defined as 'not caring'? Not caring would be not acknowledging the reviews and not insulting everyone. I couldn't give less of a shit about this band but the fact that people have respect for someone or a band because they aggressively insult people without discretion of fucking absurd. If this gets you off, I suggest turning on Fox News and lusting for their unapologetic, awful opinions as well.

Spot on.

I try not to dig too deep into the lives of the bands most of the time. what they say to their fans or how they act, as long as it doesn't affect the way the music sounds doesn't affect me. i get that they enjoy what they make and its nice to know that they are in it for themselves, to make music that they enjoy. but you shouldn't have to bash anyone to be happy with what you're doing. i think they should have brushed it off anyways.

also Anthony fantano isn't shit. he basically works his ass off to find something wrong with everything he reviews, and while a "critic" should be doing that. i feel like he takes it a little too far. i feel like whenever i watch an album review of his its always <5/10

I find it hilarious.  They're not being ass holes to people who say, "Awesome set last night!", they're jokingly being assholes to trolls who think they're funny.  As for the sexist/ableist comments, they're not running around calling people "fa*g**ts" and "cunts", so I'm hardly offended.  I don't use the word pussy, it's just not in my vocabulary, but I don't see it as that big of a deal.  However I would never think to call someone a "fa*g**t" in any way, and when some of my shit head friends say it I call them out on it.  Whirr isn't doing that.  If they were, that'd be too far.

Just because you don't find 'pussy' particularly offensive doesn't mean that others don't or shouldn't. Some people draw the line at 'pussy' where you draw the line at 'faggot'.

Just because you don't find 'pussy' particularly offensive doesn't mean that others don't or shouldn't. Some people draw the line at 'pussy' where you draw the line at 'faggot'.

I don't use the word, but I don't get overly offended if I hear it used.  I agree with what you're saying though, and I guess my ignorance just shined through.

Is it socially acceptable these days to call someone a dick?  That's not a sarcastic question.  

It is. Pussy is still pretty widely accepted outside of more politically correct circles. I've heard it on tv multiple times. I wasn't trying to make you feel bad about it. I'm not offended, per se, by either word but there are clearly gender stereotypes associated with the way each word is used. 

I don't use the word, but I don't get overly offended if I hear it used.  I agree with what you're saying though, and I guess my ignorance just shined through.

Is it socially acceptable these days to call someone a dick?  That's not a sarcastic question.  

I once saw Conan O'Brien do a bit about a man who had referred to women as "vaginas" in an email to a coworker, or something along those lines. Then he said - and I'm paraphrasing - "Can you imagine referring to someone by their genitals? What a dick!"

"Dick" and "pussy" as insults are not on the same par, as far as I'm concerned. Calling someone a "pussy" implies cowardice or a lack of masculinity (which I guess would stem from the fact that women are not generally masculine), whereas a "dick" is just somebody who's an asshole. One is subjectively worse than the other.

It's my opinion that words like these don't have any inherent meaning or value - they're offensive because we say they're offensive. Somebody can call me a dick or a pussy and I don't give a shit, because that doesn't actually mean anything to me. It shouldn't mean anything to you guys, either. 

If somebody calls you a "faggot," and you're not gay, it's probably because they don't see a flaw in your character to poke fun at other than sexuality. I don't take offense unless a word actually applies to me.

Don't allow other people to control how or why you get offended, just because they assigned an alternative meaning to a word that has no power to insult. 

That's just my opinion, anyway.

tl;dr It's socially acceptable to call anybody whatever you want. You can thank hip-hop culture (and maybe Guttermouth) for that.

Like I said, I'm not offended. I just find a person or entity who uses their public platform to reinforce sexism, whether that entity identifies as sexist or not, is neither funny nor is it a quality that should garner anyone's respect. I do appreciate the civility and thought in your response though.

I once saw Conan O'Brien do a bit about a man who had referred to women as "vaginas" in an email to a coworker, or something along those lines. Then he said - and I'm paraphrasing - "Can you imagine referring to someone by their genitals? What a dick!"

"Dick" and "pussy" as insults are not on the same par, as far as I'm concerned. Calling someone a "pussy" implies cowardice or a lack of masculinity (which I guess would stem from the fact that women are not generally masculine), whereas a "dick" is just somebody who's an asshole. One is subjectively worse than the other.

It's my opinion that words like these don't have any inherent meaning or value - they're offensive because we say they're offensive. Somebody can call me a dick or a pussy and I don't give a shit, because that doesn't actually mean anything to me. It shouldn't mean anything to you guys, either. 

If somebody calls you a "faggot," and you're not gay, it's probably because they don't see a flaw in your character to poke fun at other than sexuality. I don't take offense unless a word actually applies to me.

Don't allow other people to control how or why you get offended, just because they assigned an alternative meaning to a word that has no power to insult. 

That's just my opinion, anyway.

tl;dr It's socially acceptable to call anybody whatever you want. You can thank hip-hop culture (and maybe Guttermouth) for that.

I wouldn't personally take offence to the word "faggot" if someone were to call me it, however I would be annoyed that they used the word in that context to begin with.  The fact that people are using it in a derogatory way implies inferiority, or something inherently wrong with being gay, which is bullshit.  Also, saying "That's gay" instead of "That's lame" for example pisses me off, and I get annoyed when people do it.

But hey, thats just like my opinion, man. Anyways, I'm kind of beating a dead horse here, because I'm pretty sure most people in the community have the exact same stance as me.

I should get back to studying for this bullshit econ final I have tomorrow.

Like I said, I'm not offended. I just find a person or entity who uses their public platform to reinforce sexism, whether that entity identifies as sexist or not, is neither funny nor is it a quality that should garner anyone's respect. I do appreciate the civility and thought in your response though.

Thank you, sir.

I wouldn't personally take offence to the word "faggot" if someone were to call me it, however I would be annoyed that they used the word in that context to begin with.  The fact that people are using it in a derogatory way implies inferiority, or something inherently wrong with being gay, which is bullshit.  Also, saying "That's gay" instead of "That's lame" for example pisses me off, and I get annoyed when people do it.

But hey, thats just like my opinion, man. Anyways, I'm kind of beating a dead horse here, because I'm pretty sure most people in the community have the exact same stance as me.

I should get back to studying for this bullshit econ final I have tomorrow.

I used to be upset by people associating homosexuality with inferiority. I don't think people will stop it, though (like people won't stop using "retard" in a negative context), so I don't see the point in fighting it. That's not to say we should all embrace and accept "faggot" as an insult, but I'm certain it's not going to go away.

If you insult somebody, insult the quality or content of their character, not their sexuality. 

Oh shit! DIIV vs WHIRR, this is nuts, had no idea Whirr is actively still up to it, I thought it was a one time deal seems to be every day :X

• Martin G. Lewis DIIV said you guys were a bunch of fucking faggots
  • 1507620_604419452968099_64796937_t.jpg
    Whirr Lol, terrified. Dudes look like they took fashion tips from the bananas in pajamas...

I like banana in pajamas for the record haha

As cool or uncool as you think "not caring" may be, can we all agree that it's rather petty to bad-mouth another band through snide Twitter comments, behind their back? I enjoy Whirr and I enjoy DIIV. But Whirr need to grow the fuck up and avoid social media if their jimmies are so easily rustled. This isn't me being "too serious". Or a pussy. Or a serious pussy. I'm just calling it like it is. There's a distinct line between being indifferent to criticism (and trolling those who attack you) and succumbing to childish, embarrassing behavior.