PO NOW: The Story So Far - Songs Of... 10" - Out 6/17/14 via Pure Noise

Why come into this thread then? That's what I don't get  :huh:

I was hoping to gain an understanding.  They're pretty popular and always seem to have a huge crowd.  I've seen them live, listened to their music.  It's just misogynistic and slut-shaming supported by the "scene" to me.  I don't really even have a problem with the genre.  I don't think it's really done all that well.

Other than the one song that everyone was complaining about, what other songs do this?

There were two songs on Under Soil & Dirt that I immediately was like "did I hear all that right?"

It was enough for me to wonder how they got to the levels of popularity in this genre.  My opinion of them is obviously uninformed but from what I understand, they aren't apologizing for the song or the message.  It just rubs me the wrong way.  I'd rather listen to songs about drinking and fucking things up.

Edit: And even if it was one song.  If the singer actually respected women or felt remorseful for the songs, they'd stop playing those live.

they were, like, 17 and 18 years old when they wrote mt. diablo, at most? they were still in high school when their split with maker came out. is that what we're talking about? is there a different song on USAD? again, can't tell any of the songs apart these days. anyway, my point is, they were 18... not going to say they're not accountable for the lyrics but when you're a kid, you're a kid. they're growing up.

although that kind of slut-shaming is popular on tumblr, apparently

I haven't listened to "What You Don't See" since the weeks around when it came out. I listened to it probably 5 or 6 times back then but just couldn't get into it at all. Thought the entire album just blended together and kinda sounded like the same song over and over again. Still love USAD though

I haven't listened to "What You Don't See" since the weeks around when it came out. I listened to it probably 5 or 6 times back then but just couldn't get into it at all. Thought the entire album just blended together and kinda sounded like the same song over and over again. Still love USAD though

It definitely can have that effect on some parts but I really dig The Glass and Empty Space. Those are on constant repeat for me.

This this this. I love great lyrics as much as the next guy, but when I'm listening to some pop punk, I'm less inclined to think about the lyrics vs. the catchiness of the tune. Cause the latter is what it's all about.

No I understand this.  And I largely agree. Most pop punk lyrics are dumb and cliche.  However, most pop punk lyrics don't slut-shame.

However, most pop punk lyrics don't slut-shame.

I'm assuming the "between your thighs" line was about 1 girl, and not "slut-shaming" in general.  If you have feelings or a relationship with a girl, which I'm assuming he did in this case, and they start having sex with a bunch of other people, you're probably going to be hurt by it, and inclined to write about it.  I didn't think the line was that bad.  As for "Daughters", I don't see it to be misogynistic.  Maybe I'll be labeled as sexist for this opinion, who knows, but back in highschool, I would never hook up with drunk girls at parties, I just didn't think it was right.  Seeing girls throw themselves onto guys, and especially guys take advantage of girls was shitty, and I didn't like it.  I almost felt bad that the alcohol would make them do things that you know they wouldn't stand for sober, and guys would be all for it.  I think that was his point.

they were, like, 17 and 18 years old when they wrote mt. diablo, at most? they were still in high school when their split with maker came out. is that what we're talking about? is there a different song on USAD? again, can't tell any of the songs apart these days. anyway, my point is, they were 18... not going to say they're not accountable for the lyrics but when you're a kid, you're a kid. they're growing up.

although that kind of slut-shaming is popular on tumblr, apparently

Yea they were really young. 

There were two songs on Under Soil & Dirt that I immediately was like "did I hear all that right?"

It was enough for me to wonder how they got to the levels of popularity in this genre.  My opinion of them is obviously uninformed but from what I understand, they aren't apologizing for the song or the message.  It just rubs me the wrong way.  I'd rather listen to songs about drinking and fucking things up.

Edit: And even if it was one song.  If the singer actually respected women or felt remorseful for the songs, they'd stop playing those live.

Oh pshaw. I think the lyrics in Mt. Diablo are an appropriate response to your girl sleeping around. Just sounds like he's expressing his feelings, which are anger and disappointment, I don't really take it as slut-shaming.