Massachusetts Record Stores

Another thumbs up for the Record Exchange here.

There's also a place in Concord, NH called Pitchfork Records that has some "newer" used stuff sometimes, along with a decent selection of new records. Don't know how far that is from you, though. I'll probably think of more later.

-Armageddon is clutch (ask to check out their rare 7" box.  I've gotten some great stuff in there, like Modest Mouse "Blue Cadet", Deerhunter/Jay Retard split and Beck/Sonic Youth split on green wax).  They generally have a pretty great selection, have good bands playing, the staff is cool, they will haggle with expensive stuff, and they are not pretentious. 

-Stereo Jacks in Porter Square can be hit or miss, but when its a hit, its a home run.  They usually have good older stuff, but I will also get some newish stuff (got an original copy of JSBX "orange" for 9 bucks).

-I have a bit of a love/hate thing with Planet Records in Harvard.  Their records are always in tip top shape and the staff is generally pretty cool.  You can also get some great stuff there (GBV "Propeller" RI, Huskur Du "Zen Arcade" Original Press), that being said, the shop seems to go in waves.  If they get a good lot, it will end your wallet because you'll want to buy a lot of stuff, but then you wont spend anything there for the next 5 visits.  It is worth the trip. 

-Nuggets in back bay can be good, but it is also overpriced and they don't do the best job grading.  I did score a copy of "Let it be" by the Replacements for 30$ soo...yeah.

-Supposedly Tres Gatos in JP is good, but I have only heard this from friends and have never actually been.  

-Avoid In your Ear in harvard square.  it is so poorly organized that it is frustrating.  Havent been there in at least two years because it is so shitty.  But the Allston shop is alright.  

-Avoid Cheapo in Central.  Generally anything really worth it does not get out of the "Just in" bin in the front of the store.  IF you go, do not waste your time going through anything else outside of the "just in" bin.