paying rent

Loved living at home, before girls were in the picture. My mother is is a bit overprotective so even at the age of 19 my girlfriend of 2 years wasn't allowed to stay the night at my home if it was a weeknight...

Moved out, got engaged. Now I'm moving again so she can be within walking distance of her new job as a hairdresser. Will probably end up in an ugly apartment for 800+ a month or a nicer basement suite for 700 + a month.

I wish my parents had been more reasonable and I could have stayed at home longer, it would have helped my financial situation considerably. But I get by on my own.

I moved out when I was 18 just to try it out. Ended up going to art school a few months later in Boston. Moved back after my fiancé (first one) broke up and lived back with my parents for about a year. It's been 4 years since then I'm 26 now and and living in Austin. They never charged me rent, and I know if I moved back they never would. My parents always said that "no matter what you are our child and we will always take care of you." I think they said that because they know if I were to move back it would be because I would be in a bad spot in my life.

i would never have to pay rent if i lived with my parents either.  they've said that i could move back in at 40 and they'd let me.  i'd have to chip in with cleaning and stuff if i did.  but i never would take them up on it.  i moved out to go to school when i was 18 and never moved back (i'm 35 now).  i haven't had to really and most of all, they have no concept of how to respect privacy.  they constantly ask me questions about what i'm doing, where i'm going and for how long and when i used to stay over on the weekends, my dad has just opened the door to my room without knocking.  they also fight a lot, too.  they've been married for 36 years but disagree loudly on things frequently.  i can't live around that.  i do miss my mom's home cooking though.  i cook myself, but there are just some things she can make that i can't make the same.