PO: MASTODON - Once More 'Round The Sun

Guest Secular Haze

I don't think the curse is applicable to these guys. Crack The Skye was a beauty too. I was lucky enough to see it performed live in it's entirety.

Saw this. I didn't really like Crack the Sky before I saw them play it live.  Still don't have it on vinyl and now wish I did.

If you follow the band's Facebook they are always linking eBay links to auctions of signed gear. It's getting really dumb. Signed cymbals going for $250...

They've always been like this though. I saw them like...what, gotta be 6 years ago now and at the merch booth they were selling signed records for like $70 or something stupid. In their home town.

On a mostly irrelevant note, this thread reminded me of Black Cobra and I'm currently rocking out to their latest LP. If you like Leviathan, check out these two dudes... added bonus: their albums all cost <$20. 

Black Cobra! Those dudes ruuuuuule. Saw them years ago with Howl and Struck By Lightning and loved every minute of it.

True. But still... $70?! 

No really, you're right. It's not like I usually opt for deluxe editions anyway, unless they're just marginally more expensive than the regular edition. 

On a mostly irrelevant note, this thread reminded me of Black Cobra and I'm currently rocking out to their latest LP. If you like Leviathan, check out these two dudes... added bonus: their albums all cost <$20. 

I've seen Black Cobra live probably 8-10 times and they always put on a great show. i always feel sorry for any band that follows them because they seem to leave the place in decimation afterwards. A few years ago they opened for The Sword and I left after two songs. Black Cobra completely blew them away.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. Back to Mastodon talk.

I'm really surprised to hear that a lot of people didn't like 'The Hunter.' That album was outstanding. It was a solid mix of all of the different writing styles they used throughout the last decade.

I tried a number of times... I just could not finish it. Had to keep turning it off. This new song is not all that enticing to me either though I will say it was better in general than any of the tracks I can even remember from The Hunter. I feel that even though the their sound and production style was getting a more and more mainstream as they progressed through CTS, each album always had something that made it gold. I think if they applied the same heart in their clean vocals as they used to execute their throat ripping vocals it would really assist the overall sound of the music particularly for this new song. I only listened once but I remember it sounded uninspired at least vocally.

I dig The Hunter but I have to respectively disagree, sir.

Im sure we all have a different understanding of a "good songwriting". For some its "killer" riffs with scream your head off vocals, for me its more about memorable riffs and melodies and in that regard The Hunter blows everything else away. For some odd reason, with The Hunter they even remind me The Beatles where the majority of the band is on lead vocals (how many famous metal bands are like that? I cant name any).

edit: and btw, I love death metal, Nile is probably my favorite band right now.

Guest Secular Haze

Without a doubt "Hearts Alive" is the best song Mastodon has ever done.

Great call on that one. It's definitely in my top 3. They opened for Fear Factory back in 2004 and started their set with that song. Nobody had a clue what was going on. It was awesome.

At least its more in line with what their past double LP versions have cost.  I'm curious to see if that version will be 45rpm like the double LPs of CTS and the Hunter...

EDIT: SRC has this same version listed for the same price now, too, though their website is being janky today.

Am I the only one that thought The Hunter is an incredible album?

I thought it was really good. I like to think of The Hunter as a book of love songs that Mastodon wrote for family & friends. That was reinforced when I saw them in Atlanta on the Hunter tour, and I think I saw Brent's mom crowd surfing.

People like to compare The Hunter with all their other albums. I think that's natural, but a bit unfair. People make the music they like, and what you like will change over time.

Am I the only one that thought The Hunter is an incredible album?

The Hunter is amazing. This is coming from a Mastodon fanboy, but I didn't see anything wrong with the change in direction that was made with this record. Yeah, it was more progressive than sludge, but it's not really that different from Crack the Skye in that regard. Just not Remission or Leviathan, Pt. II like a lot of people wanted. That being said, I'm seeing these guys tomorrow and nothing is more exciting than the fact that I'm gonna see Naked Burn live. So stoked.