PO: MASTODON - Once More 'Round The Sun

Guest Secular Haze

The Hunter is amazing. This is coming from a Mastodon fanboy, but I didn't see anything wrong with the change in direction that was made with this record. Yeah, it was more progressive than sludge, but it's not really that different from Crack the Skye in that regard. Just not Remission or Leviathan, Pt. II like a lot of people wanted. That being said, I'm seeing these guys tomorrow and nothing is more exciting than the fact that I'm gonna see Naked Burn live. So stoked.

So...you're saying that The Hunter was more progressive than say...Leviathan or Crack the Skye? There is no way that is true. The band themselves said that it didn't have a unified theme, but more of a motif, whereas the other albums up to this point all were themed around an "element" and were more cohesive. That's what prog is, man, it isn't a "sound".

So...you're saying that The Hunter was more progressive than say...Leviathan or Crack the Skye? There is no way that is true. The band themselves said that it didn't have a unified theme, but more of a motif, whereas the other albums up to this point all were themed around an "element" and were more cohesive. That's what prog is, man, it isn't a "sound".

I'm agreeing and disagreeing with this. Yes, progressive music is usually conceptually-based, but most people associate progressive music with a certain degree of experimental and complex sound. If prog is only a unified theme, then anyone that does a concept record is prog. And I didn't say that it was more progressive than Crack the Skye, simply that those two had more of a progressive metal feel to them than Remission and Leviathan. But that's just, like, my opinion, man.

Unsane, Slayer and The Ramones did not change :)

I don't know about it, man. Take Road to Ruin and Brain Drain... I hear a pretty big difference, there.

But my point is that it's natural for a band's sound to change over time. Mastodon may be more elastic than some others, but my musical tastes wander a bit, too. That's what keeps things interesting for me, anyway.

Saw Mastodon last night at First Ave - amazing show, with 'Hearts Alive' starting things off.

I'll add my gripe about Mastodon vinyl prices - $70+ for the new album is just ridiculous, and vinyl at the merch booth last night was $40, or $60 for signed versions. C'mon, man!

The most important thing is how much was kvelertak merch. That is something i would actually buy.

Mastodon hasnt had reasonably priced merch in a while. I got a shirt on the blood mountain tour and that was 20. Next time i saw them they were taking the 40 dollar shirt route and that was it for me.

That being said im still excited for this new record. I have enjoyed each album for what they are. Would i like them to go back to remission style, sure, but that clearly isint going to happen and they have grown into what they have become. It is nice to see them start the show with a song they dont seem to ever play.

I'm agreeing and disagreeing with this. Yes, progressive music is usually conceptually-based, but most people associate progressive music with a certain degree of experimental and complex sound. If prog is only a unified theme, then anyone that does a concept record is prog. And I didn't say that it was more progressive than Crack the Skye, simply that those two had more of a progressive metal feel to them than Remission and Leviathan. But that's just, like, my opinion, man.

+1, I hear what you're saying.

Edit: I should point out that the +1 was more for Lebowski'ing me than anything else

vinyl at the merch booth last night was $40, or $60 for signed versions.  C'mon, man!

I love Mastodon, but if you're gonna sign your records, don't modify the pricetag. That is serious flipper-esque bullshit. Good thing the only thing I'm considering picking up tonight is some Gojira wax if the price is right.

I love Mastodon, but if you're gonna sign your records, don't modify the pricetag. That is serious flipper-esque bullshit. Good thing the only thing I'm considering picking up tonight is some Gojira wax if the price is right.

Agreed. They have all those represses that came out recently so might be on par or more than what they are selling for if you bought it retail.

I was going to grab some kvelertak stuff tonight but 30 bucks for a shirt is alot. My main hope is they will have the pens game on in between bands...

I believe it was $30 for their LP and $30 for shirts. I got to the show just as Kvelertak was taking down their equipment. It was a bummer.

That sucks that you missed them. If I compare the last time I saw Mastodon with the last time I saw Kvelertak there would be no contest, Kvelertak would completely destroy.

Also as far as merch prices go, some of these venues can charge a nice percentage for each item that a band sells. That is one reason why merch costs so much at these bigger shows. I know at the Greek in Berkeley they charge 30%. This is not an excuse for signing an album and selling it for $70.

That sucks that you missed them. If I compare the last time I saw Mastodon with the last time I saw Kvelertak there would be no contest, Kvelertak would completely destroy.

Also as far as merch prices go, some of these venues can charge a nice percentage for each item that a band sells. That is one reason why merch costs so much at these bigger shows. I know at the Greek in Berkeley they charge 30%. This is not an excuse for signing an album and selling it for $70.

Thats crap they take a piece of merch. If thats the case the bands should get 30% of alcohol and food sales. Merch was the place that was supposedto be off limits to venues since they make money hand over fist with alcohol sales.

30% is insane.  I've heard of places doing 10-15%, which is unfair enough.  I'm guessing most bands don't have much choice where they play, or at least not enough to boycott venues that do that.

Yeah, when I saw them back on a tour they did with Baroness there were pulling that shit and I haven't been to a Mastodon show since.  Two of the guys are from the town I'm from (where they were playing) so, to do that in your own home town where people know you makes it even worse in my opinion. I still love those dudes, and I still pick up their albums at reasonable prices when I can. But I can't abide that kind of price gouging.

30% is insane.  I've heard of places doing 10-15%, which is unfair enough.  I'm guessing most bands don't have much choice where they play, or at least not enough to boycott venues that do that.

Not just that, but bands are responsible for paying sales tax on your purchase. That's why your shirt is $25, not $28.76 or some such. As well as paying any credit card fees if you use your card.

Ever been to Wolf Trap in Vienna, VA? Like a lot of venues at that level, they mandate that venue sellers only are to sell merch. The band's hired merch people can't sell. Which leads to a loss in sales already, because the locals have no idea what products they're slinging. And then, their split is:

65/35 (they take 35%)

+ 5% Virginia state sales tax

+ 4% credit card processing fees

So your average $30 shirt becomes a $10 net for the band.

+1, I hear what you're saying.

Edit: I should point out that the +1 was more for Lebowski'ing me than anything else

I thumbs up'd you for using Lebowski as a verb.

I want to weigh in here and say that there are many types of sounds produced by multiple different instruments (usually two in tandem) that mean "prog" sound to me. Like a dual guitar harmony and octopus like drumming. I could point out multiple spots in the music as examples but I'm too lazy.