PO: MASTODON - Once More 'Round The Sun

Guest Secular Haze

• 2 weeks later...

Giving this a listen....the first track is a yawner but tracks 2 and 3 are catching my attention more.  I'll probably end up buying this, just not for $70.

Edit:.  Track 4 is about as memorable as track 1......I'm thinking this is the album where I stop caring about Mastodon.  Track 5 almost sounds similar to a few of the other tracks.  I know I'm jet lagged but this.....this just isn't doing it for me.  Kinda  bummed b/c I really dug that first single. 

Listening to this with headphones now. Too much songs are with the same tempo, makes it sound samey.

The most interesting part for me is that the guitar parts seem to be different throughout the album in the left and right speaker (meaning: Brent is in one and Bill is in another).

Reign in Blood was recorded that way too. Growing up I use to play the entire album out of one speaker to hear how it sounds and then play it again with the sound coming from only the other speaker.

was that the tour with Converge? I saw them on that tour and it was just so damn good. 

You just reminded me of when they toured with Between the Buried & Me in 2005. BTBAM had finished Alaska but it wasn't out yet. Mastodon was about to head into the studio to record their follow up to Leviathan.

Fast forward to the release of "Blood Mountain." I don't remember what part of what song but it sounded eerily similar to the intro of Selkies. Anyway that's my version of what happened.

I saw this tour. Planes Mistaken For Stars, Cursive, Against Me, Mastodon. Damn that feels like it was forever ago.

whoa this sounds freaking awesome. The one I saw was in 06 I think and was Mastodon headlining, Converge, and...I think the Bronx? No Heroes and Blood Mountain just came out. I couldn't take my eyes off of Converge's drummer. Just stood there with my jaw open, poppin so many boners

Saw Mastodon live once and never want to again (shittiest sound I have ever witnessed - imagine going to Yes concert and getting the sound levels of Motorhead). And this comes from a long time metal fan who has seen and heard them all.

Studio albums I still love though, been listening to them since Blood Mountain.

Could have just been a bad mix or venue.