PO: SLINT Spiderland Remastered LP (non-box set, colored version available)

I'd like this, but ran out of money... hahah.  my bday's in the middle of the month, but already I justified too many albums for that day :P  it'd be nice to know if it'll still be available in a few weeks so I know if I have more money to spend then :|

Anyway, it's been awhile since I heard this, so maybe I'll dig out the cd this weekend

Edit: I know I'm a sucker and bought the box set, but seeing Touch and Go release a nearly $30 record makes me sad. I'm always more than happy to support the dudes from Slint but damn, now that my head is out of my ass due to the excitement of the box, this stuff is starting to annoy me. I'll stand by my statement from the last thread and say they deserve the money over pricks like Third Eye Blind though.

When I heard "colored Spiderland" and saw the $27 price-tag, I instantly thought of Newbury Comics.  But for everything you're getting, I think the price is respectable.  90 minutes of Slint DVD footage is easily worth $20 in itself, to me.

Y'all know my usually jaded and grumpy ass. Most of the time I'll either kick down the "don't like it? don't buy it!" line or comment on how pricey it may be. 

This has been right in the middle. I did get the big-ass box set and feel that it was worth it. Sure, I love Slint and that record and grew up around them back in the day a million years ago living in Louisville, KY. It's awesome to see this released a single LP. Now. A $27 price tag on a single LP is ludicrous most of the time...but with this you're getting the DVD, downloads (inc. the demo/out-takes stuff) and what sounds like a fancy-schmancy packaging. So after knowing that, $27 doesn't sting as much and is much more reasonable than the big-ass box set. 

As Derek said...the price alone for the DVD makes it worth it. 

Carry on. 

Well said, Juan.

I think the one and only thing that's still rubbing me the wrong way is the shipping, though.  Do DVDs not qualify for Media Mail?  I feel like they totally should.  But even if they don't, $9 and change seems a little steep to ship a 12" and a DVD.  Especially after reading a few people were able to get $6 shipping.  Didn't phase me too much, but still a bit annoying.  But seeing as that's entirely separate from the base price, it's tough to get too miffed over it.

I'm having a hard time believing they were able to get rid of 3,000 box sets for that price. Maybe I'm just dumb/naive.

I don't find it that hard to believe. 

I think because Slint is an old, defunct band that has evaded big trend unlike Joy Division, doesn't mean mean people don't care about their music. 

What I'm trying to say is that Slint fans don't wear their fandom on their sleeve like other old, defunct band fanbases do. And I think that's why you find it hard to believe. 

Edit: I did think this was a cashgrab at first, but it's most definitely not. 

Shipping is $9.64 for me as well. I'm on the fence on this, I really like the album but $36 is a lot for a single LP and a DVD that I can't guarantee I would watch. Hmm.

I think the booklet could be cool as hell, too.  Just for what it's worth.  And I'm eager to check out that additional material, even it's MP3.  Considering how many copies of this album exist, if this is indeed the only colored press available, I think that could be pretty damn cool to own.

I think the booklet could be cool as hell, too. Just for what it's worth. And I'm eager to check out that additional material, even it's MP3. Considering how many copies of this album exist, if this is indeed the only colored press available, I think that could be pretty damn cool to own.

MP3 is the only way, and probably only one time, I would want to check out the extras.

And it sounded like the colored vinyl is the only thing that's exclusive and limited, so this set should be getting a wide release and be available elsewhere, for those who want/have to wait.

Shipping is $9.64 for me as well. I'm on the fence on this, I really like the album but $36 is a lot for a single LP and a DVD that I can't guarantee I would watch. Hmm.

I guess the extra shipping cost is a west coast thing. $6 and change is fine for priority. I'd like the option of media mail, but 2 more dollars is whatever. Not sure why the the west coast gets knocked the $3 additional. Every country's post seems fucked in one way or another.

Cheapest shipping to New Zealand is $24US!!! That is insane. Will just wait until this gets a wider release on plain vinyl and should be able to get it for like $40 NZ. That site really needs to sort out its shipping, similar price to what I paid for 2 mofi records (heavy and bulky packaging).

Sooo...how does the remastering sound? I grew up in the era of the Slint mystery so part of the charm is the lo-fi nature of the record. In the mid-90s this record was in every indie dollar bin I came across and to see the fervor over it today is crazy to me. Curiosity will likely get this cat to now shell out $30 since there was no way in hell I was touching the $150 level. 

I've been trying to think of how to describe the remastering, because I don't really know the technical terms and also because the differences seem pretty subtle on the whole. After listening to both versions back to back, I'd say the new one definitely has more depth to it. You can hear each instrument more distinctly, especially the drums. It stays close to the original mastering -- which still sounds good to me on vinyl; the CD was always on the quiet side -- but everything's just a little sharper.

Man, I was dead wrong about them selling 3000 Boxes for >$100 each!  :o   1991, so i guess lots of highschoolers, making the big bucks now age 35+, could plop down some dough for that. (Good for Slint!) Plus, alot of younger blood discovering them as well doesn't hurt.

But this will fit the bill just as nice a box for $75 I was (dreaming) holding out for.

Thank you Touch and Go for listening to the masses :applause:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Arrived safely with the corner protecting mailers! I could post a picture of one smashed corner that would make you weak at the knees, but when I saw the elongated mailer, I breathed a sigh of relief! World Cup inspired at the USPS no doubt.  Can't wait to watch the DVD after kids go to bed!