Soon: Wolves in the Throne Room - Celestite

This is really hard to accept as Wolves material. It's not bad, I just don't see ANY similarities between this music and any of their other releases. They should have just done a side project with a different name. At any rate, I'm not paying $25 plus $11.25 shipping for this.

EDIT: Just listened to the whole track and that shit was boring as hell. I like ambient music, but that was a bad imitation of Brian Eno and Terry Riley. They have said this new sound was just an experiment. I hope they don't just play the new stuff when they tour.

They have said this new sound was just an experiment. I hope they don't just play the new stuff when they tour.

Rest now, weary head, here's their official statement regarding the upcoming live shows:

After a long and restful hiatus, we are very much looking forward to returning to the stage. The setlist is developing, but I can say that we’ll be playing songs off of Diadem of 12 Stars, Two Hunters and Celestial Lineage. We are especially excited to perform some epic older songs that we have never before played live. Our new album was very much a studio project, so we won’t be performing material directly off of Celestite. But we do plan on bringing a larger array of synthesizers on the road to expand the sonic journey into deeper realms.

I'm pretty much just gonna say that I think this song sucks. It sucks whether it's WITTR or some random doing ambient music. Pretty much nothing to with why I've liked Wolves in the past. Parts of "Celestite Mirror" remind me a lot of PInkish Black & their song "Ashtray Eyes". I like Pinkish Black quite a bit but I definitely don't like it when I'm listening to Wolves In The Throne and reminded of them.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've only listened to it a few times, but I dig it. There is vastly superior ambient that I'll be dedicating my time to when I get the urge to listen to that style of music, but I can see myself revisiting this in the future. Much respect for WITTR throwing caution to the wind and writing the album they wanted to write. I'm really surprised at how positive the reception has been among their fanbase, too.

• 1 month later...

Finally listening to this tonight. I have to admit that I really fuckin' like it. I love what WITTR have done in past, and as Derek said, it's cool to see, or rather hear, that they're doing what they want and making something different. 

This album feels like the soundtrack to Blade Runner not done by Vangelis. 

I'd love to get my hands on that clear version of the LP. For a reasonable price. Any leads?