PO NOW: Secret Band (Jon Mess of Dance Gavin Dance)

That's not what I meant.

In which case you make no sense.

Also, it's funny you mention MOV. How is what they're doing any better? Because they're pressing popular albums with little to no notice or payment to the bands who put the album out? They're charging $50 for a $20-25 record. Secret Band is charging $25 for a $10-15 10". They self-released the EP and are currently writing (or maybe recording by now) a new album. They made no money off of the EP besides for the digital sales. I'm not debating that it's expensive and a silly price, but really, quit bitching. They're not the first band to put up an over-priced release and they won't be the last.

Secret Band is basically DGD without a singer. Will, Jon, and more of the original members I can't name at the moment for lack of memory.

Weird, I haven't seen anyone's name attached to this besides Mess'. Which is silly cause Will Swan is a much more recognizable name to even non-hardcore DGD fans like myself. Also, these dudes have made plenty of money off their fans throughout their careers. If they choose to do a side project (that probably takes up 0% of their free time) it's their own prerogative and don't gain any of my sympathy.

Weird, I haven't seen anyone's name attached to this besides Mess'. Which is silly cause Will Swan is a much more recognizable name to even non-hardcore DGD fans like myself. Also, these dudes have made plenty of money off their fans throughout their careers. If they choose to do a side project (that probably takes up 0% of their free time) it's their own prerogative and don't gain any of my sympathy.

Will Swan always talks about it in interviews and they played a few shows over the years. I didn't say they hadn't made any money, I said they hadn't made money off of this release besides digital sales. Side project or not, they still made music, are making more music, and have played shows. That's more than 0% of their time. If you don't wanna support it, don't. I did, and I'm fine with it.

In which case you make no sense.

Also, it's funny you mention MOV. How is what they're doing any better? Because they're pressing popular albums with little to no notice or payment to the bands who put the album out? They're charging $50 for a $20-25 record. Secret Band is charging $25 for a $10-15 10". They self-released the EP and are currently writing (or maybe recording by now) a new album. They made no money off of the EP besides for the digital sales. I'm not debating that it's expensive and a silly price, but really, quit bitching. They're not the first band to put up an over-priced release and they won't be the last.

Exactly.

It's expensive, but they're not making much money off of this. Even if they profited $20 grand off of this release, that's $20 grand that gets split among the band members. That's $20 grand that goes into financing future releases. That's $20 grand that really, considering the man hours that went into making and putting out those 4 songs, is less money than they would have made working day jobs.

Exactly.

It's expensive, but they're not making much money off of this. Even if they profited $20 grand off of this release, that's $20 grand that gets split among the band members. That's $20 grand that goes into financing future releases. That's $20 grand that really, considering the man hours that went into making and putting out those 4 songs, is less money than they would have made working day jobs.

Also, if that money goes toward helping them press any Hail the Sun on vinyl, I'm fine with it.

That's $20 grand that really, considering the man hours that went into making and putting out those 4 songs, is less money than they would have made working day jobs.

Lol. No one here is against supporting bands at all. It's just said that this band you all love has no qualms about milking you guys for every penny you have for 4 songs on a bare 10" record. That same amount gets you a box set from a label like Captured Tracks that includes a limited variant colored vinyl, 2 cassettes, and other awesome bull shit that you don't really need, but you get what you pay for. And these man hours you speak of? I don't know how many are in this band, but if there are 4, and they get 5 grand each, how long do you think it could've possibly taken to put out 4 songs? I'll do the math real quick. Let's say they would make $15 an hour as a day job. That's 333 hours. EACH MEMBER. I highly doubt they spend even a fraction of that in writing these 4 songs. 

TL;DR, you guys got suckered by these guys for a quick cash grab. That's all there is to it. 

Lol. No one here is against supporting bands at all. It's just said that this band you all love has no qualms about milking you guys for every penny you have for 4 songs on a bare 10" record. That same amount gets you a box set from a label like Captured Tracks that includes a limited variant colored vinyl, 2 cassettes, and other awesome bull shit that you don't really need, but you get what you pay for. And these man hours you speak of? I don't know how many are in this band, but if there are 4, and they get 5 grand each, how long do you think it could've possibly taken to put out 4 songs? I'll do the math real quick. Let's say they would make $15 an hour as a day job. That's 333 hours. EACH MEMBER. I highly doubt they spend even a fraction of that in writing these 4 songs. 

TL;DR, you guys got suckered by these guys for a quick cash grab. That's all there is to it. 

Seriously. This could have easily been sold for $10-$12 (maybe 15 if it was that much hassle). And I like there emphasis on "Never to be pressed again on any physical format." They sound like flippers trying to milk the most out of what they're selling.

Do people think these guys are raking in six figures individually each year?

Considering Geoff Rickly made less than what anyone makes at a desk job during Thursday's biggest year, I can't imagine what it's like for most every band that has a few hundred thousand fans. At least that's according to this article from 3 years ago: http://www.altpress.com/features/entry/no_money_mo_problems/

Do people think these guys are raking in six figures individually each year?

Considering Geoff Rickly made less than what anyone makes at a desk job during Thursday's biggest year, I can't imagine what it's like for most every band that has a few hundred thousand fans. At least that's according to this article from 3 years ago: http://www.altpress.com/features/entry/no_money_mo_problems/

Are you trying to justify the price? Look at the bands who have fucking 500 likes, live just as meagerly, and still have the respect for their fanbase to charge them reasonable prices for their records.

Are you trying to justify the price? Look at the bands who have fucking 500 likes, live just as meagerly, and still have the respect for their fanbase to charge them reasonable prices for their records.

The digital downloads are $4. They also leaked the music for free previously. I don't see the harm in charging $25 taking into considering that it helps to finance Will Swan's label and that Jon Mess himself designed/painted the artwork. Do I personally wish they would have charged $15 for it? Sure. However, I don't see this as the band disrespecting their fans. 

What is the recommended profit margin for a vinyl release?

The digital downloads are $4. They also leaked the music for free previously. I don't see the harm in charging $25 taking into considering that it helps to finance Will Swan's label and that Jon Mess himself designed/painted the artwork. Do I personally wish they would have charged $15 for it? Sure. However, I don't see this as the band disrespecting their fans. 

What is the recommended profit margin for a vinyl release?

I don't even want to get into the ethics of digital music, all I'm saying is, it's a shameless cash grab. You can disagree all you want, but it is what it is, when's the last time you paid $6 per song? It's disrespectful because they know who their fanbase is, and they know people will buy into it, and they don't care, and are glad to find some suckers to make a quick buck off of, and it's just sad to see that shit. Hopefully this doesn't become more prevalent, you can see for yourself the "industry" average bands charge and figure out your own acceptable profit margin, apparently it's pretty big for you.  

The band that recorded this EP is the DBM2 DGD lineup without Jonny Craig. So Jon Mess, Will Swan, Eric Lodge, and Matt Mingus. For the full-length Secret Band album that will be coming up, Eric Lodge has been replaced with another bass player and a second guitarist has been added.

The bassist for the album will be Jordan McCoy. He played bass for DGD during most of the tours in support of DBMII. He also played bass for the band K Sera.

I forgot his name, but the second guitarist will be the one who recorded lead parts on The Jiggler.

I was really looking forward to this. $37 shipped to Australia for a 10" is just unreasonable... I am siding with the people saying this is disrespectful to their fans. I nearly folded and ordered it today, but I have thought about it, and I decided I would let my wallet talk. I will not be purchasing this.

I know this will sell either way. I know my opinion means jack shit, but I am writing in the hopes that someone connected to the release will see it. As a huge fan of these dudes, I feel like it is a massive fucking kick in the teeth. If someone connected to the release can post and at least try to justify this price, I may change my mind.

I feel alienated now, extremely disappointing... This will surely turn me off any future releases from Secret Band.