PO NOW: Secret Band (Jon Mess of Dance Gavin Dance)

Finally getting a chance to chime in on this. Isn't Will Swan already a pretty well-known video producer or something like that? Pretty sure he doesn't need to be price-gouging people on this, can't really say much for the other members and their financial status, but with that article Torres posted, who knows.

I'm just mainly perplexed as to why this isn't on a 7", unless the songs are ridiculously long. I think the main thing people are getting pissed about is the fact that it's only 4 songs. If it was 8 songs or so, I don't think anyone would have many quips about shelling out for it, but for what it is, yeah, it's a bit ridiculously priced.

Finally getting a chance to chime in on this. Isn't Will Swan already a pretty well-known video producer or something like that? Pretty sure he doesn't need to be price-gouging people on this, can't really say much for the other members and their financial status, but with that article Torres posted, who knows.

I'm just mainly perplexed as to why this isn't on a 7", unless the songs are ridiculously long. I think the main thing people are getting pissed about is the fact that it's only 4 songs. If it was 8 songs or so, I don't think anyone would have many quips about shelling out for it, but for what it is, yeah, it's a bit ridiculously priced.

To me it's not even the amount of songs. Im not 100% sure what the cost per record for a run of 1000 of these is but I'd venture to guess that this release is priced at least 4x the cost which just seems ridiculous.  

Give them some leniency, you're spending $4 on the digital downloads it includes too, so actually the 10" is only $21...................

Honestly that $6 shipping charge bugs me the most because a 10" would cost less than $2.00 to ship via first class with tracking.

You can't really add the digital price in.

That's like saying when I pay $12 for an LP from topshelf I should take out $8 for the digital so I'm only paying $4 for the record.

Give them some leniency, you're spending $4 on the digital downloads it includes too, so actually the 10" is only $21...................

Honestly that $6 shipping charge bugs me the most because a 10" would cost less than $2.00 to ship via first class with tracking.

Yeah, I don't know if charging for digital downloads can be factored into any part of the price...personally I don't agree with charging for digital downloads, I always find my music off of a blogspot or something, and if I like the music, I'll buy a record/tape/merch/show ticket. Digital price means jack shit to me. 

You can't really add the digital price in.

That's like saying when I pay $12 for an LP from topshelf I should take out $8 for the digital so I'm only paying $4 for the record.

I was being sarcastic about factoring in the price of the downloads. It was a stupid comment and meant to be taken as such, but being that this is the internet, I knew that it probably wouldn't translate very well.

Justice J Williams, on 08 May 2014 - 4:12 PM, said:

Yeah, I don't know if charging for digital downloads can be factored into any part of the price...personally I don't agree with charging for digital downloads, I always find my music off of a blogspot or something, and if I like the music, I'll buy a record/tape/merch/show ticket. Digital price means jack shit to me.

I get where you are coming from since digital downloads are not a physical representation of the music. I'm not a huge fan of torrenting or downloading music from blogspot anymore because I'm picky about the quality (I greatly prefer 320kb/s mp3) and downloading music has become more and more of a goddamn hassle. However, I refuse to buy music off iTunes or Amazon. I stick to Bandcamp, or buy a record or CD. Mostly records because CDs are stupidly overpriced.

I was being sarcastic about factoring in the price of the downloads. It was a stupid comment and meant to be taken as such, but being that this is the internet, I knew that it probably wouldn't translate very well.

I get where you are coming from since digital downloads are not a physical representation of the music. I'm not a huge fan of torrenting or downloading music from blogspot anymore because I'm picky about the quality (I greatly prefer 320kb/s mp3) and downloading music has become more and more of a goddamn hassle. However, I refuse to buy music off iTunes or Amazon. I stick to Bandcamp, or buy a record or CD. Mostly records because CDs are stupidly overpriced.

CDs are lame

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I've seen a bunch of people got this and I still haven't received mine.. :/ for $25 I really hope this shows up sometime soon, I've tried to contact will swan/blue swan records twice with no response, please tell me I'm not the only one still waiting for this to show up!

I am still waiting. I am worried about mine though, I've moved since I ordered this. I've tried contacting them through the bandcamp page (twice) and through Facebook (twice) asking them to change my shipping address but haven't got a response from any of them. Did this come USPS? I set up a forwarding address that should take care of it if that's the case...if not I'll be pissed I spent this much money on a 10" that no one can even respond to an email about.

I am still waiting. I am worried about mine though, I've moved since I ordered this. I've tried contacting them through the bandcamp page (twice) and through Facebook (twice) asking them to change my shipping address but haven't got a response from any of them. Did this come USPS? I set up a forwarding address that should take care of it if that's the case...if not I'll be pissed I spent this much money on a 10" that no one can even respond to an email about.

Yea it really sucks when they can't even get back to you about the situation, and sorry for the down vote, my finger missed the upvote on this stupid phone lol my bad, but has anyone else managed to contact them? I'm not sure why I would get down voted for a serious inquiry about money I potentially lost.. And feedback is appreciated though!

Does anyone know what the new album art is supposed to be? It looks like two birds but I can't tell because it's a little Jon Mess-y

Lol lovin the "Jon Mess-y" and I think your right about it being birds, kinda reminds me of rock em sock em robots but with a bunch of birds in a weird line

bump for an answer ^ :/

Well, it is my understanding Sergio (Stolas) ships the Blue Swan orders. It is also my understanding Sergio/Will/Sianvar are in Sacramento writing a full-length album right now.

I've never run a label nor do I know when you placed your order, though you would think for $6 to ship 1 item you would get shipping confirmation/tracking number provided to you. Though of course some of that cost would go to mailers/packing material, but still I think $6 would cover that and the tracking.

Hope this did something for you

Yea it really sucks when they can't even get back to you about the situation, and sorry for the down vote, my finger missed the upvote on this stupid phone lol my bad, but has anyone else managed to contact them? I'm not sure why I would get down voted for a serious inquiry about money I potentially lost.. And feedback is appreciated though!

I feel like Jonny Craig is still employed running their customer service.

Well, it is my understanding Sergio (Stolas) ships the Blue Swan orders. It is also my understanding Sergio/Will/Sianvar are in Sacramento writing a full-length album right now.

I've never run a label nor do I know when you placed your order, though you would think for $6 to ship 1 item you would get shipping confirmation/tracking number provided to you. Though of course some of that cost would go to mailers/packing material, but still I think $6 would cover that and the tracking.

Hope this did something for you

I'm going to Sacramento this weekend to work on new DGD. I'll talk to Will about the shipping/tracking concerns.

I feel like Jonny Craig is still employed running their customer service.

The records wouldn't have been real and he would've taken the money and bought heroine.

Also, I don't think Banddcamp has a way of providing shipping confirmation and tracking, and since they did this through Bandcamp, that's probably why no one got it. I could be wrong though. I don't ever remember getting anything from a Bandcamp store like that. As far as people not getting their shit, I dunno.

When i ordered Sianvar/Stolas merch through bandcamp, I did receive a shipping confirmation email, though I don't recall a tracking being included in the email. It did arrive pretty quick, good condition, and it looked like there was a tracking number on the items, just wasn't on the email.

I'm going to Sacramento this weekend to work on new DGD. I'll talk to Will about the shipping/tracking concerns.

Excited for DGD7.

Moving on now, haha. I just mentioned my good experiences through bandcamp shipping in the comment before this. I have two/three suggestions that may assist what the other VC'ers in this thread have mentioned that could be worth bringing up to Will.

1. If multiple Blue Swan bands' merch is shipping from the same location, having a universal Blue Swan merch page so people could combine orders. This would benefit in both the potential of saving on shipping, and receiving shipping confirmation on that said order.

2. If a tracking number is provided, to notify the buyer with the info.

3. An optional email for Blue Swan questions or concerns.

Most/all of those points are just based off my experience with ordering from merchnow and other sites like eBay or whatever.

With new releases from Eidola/Stolas/Hail The Sun coming up, and the remaining Stolas/Sianvar/Kurt/Secret Band merch, I think a universal store would really benefit both Blue Swan Records and fans of the bands on the label.

Yea I ordered the Stolas vinyl just recently and it shipped fine, arrived about a week after ordering, but I ordered the Secret Band EP May 9th I believe and haven't received tracking info or any email's back to my concerns, I wouldn't really but trippin but like I said I've seen alot of other people have received theirs  and its not like I ordered these late at all.. 

Thanks a bunch Tim that would be great, and I can't wait to her the new Dance Gavin stuff, my band is actually about halfway through the recording process of our new album "The Tenderloin" as well, they played with you guys a few years back at Chain Reaction before I was in the band, Not sure if you were the current bassist at the time but my bands name is The Science Involved, might sounds familiar