How much is too much?

Depends..

My "maincollection" is my boysetsfire collection and I'm willing to spend quite a lot on those but only if it's a fair price. When the record usually costs like 60 or 70$ I won't spend 150$ just because it's the only one for sale atm. In general I try to spend less than 100$ per record which worked out pretty well so far. The only exception would be test presses but as I didn't encounter any so far I can't say how far I'd go there..but I guess it's pretty far :D !

I understand that a boysetsfire collection is far less expensive than a lot of other stuff. I'd imagine Converge to be hella expensive if you're looking for rare variants for example! If I'd be down with collecting those I'd need a way bigger wallet.

Depends..

My "maincollection" is my boysetsfire collection and I'm willing to spend quite a lot on those but only if it's a fair price. When the record usually costs like 60 or 70$ I won't spend 150$ just because it's the only one for sale atm. In general I try to spend less than 100$ per record which worked out pretty well so far. The only exception would be test presses but as I didn't encounter any so far I can't say how far I'd go there..but I guess it's pretty far :D !

I understand that a boysetsfire collection is far less expensive than a lot of other stuff. I'd imagine Converge to be hella expensive if you're looking for rare variants for example! If I'd be down with collecting those I'd need a way bigger wallet.

Yeah, test presses for example. Personally, I don't really care about test presses, but I totally understand why people dig them. Acetates from the 60's I've had a few of, but usually let them go because I can buy something I will totally listen to. 

If I had zero credit card debt (which probably will never happen) I'd easily drop a couple hundred for a test press. In fact, I'm in that dilemma now. Including overseas shipping I could make a purchase for two tests but the total would put me over $200. There is just no way in hell I can justify it right now.

Someone was selling an If These Trees Could Talk test on ebay but it was one of those "not desperate to sell" situations so he wanted at least $250. Couldn't do it.

I did splurge like an asshole when Murder By Death had their Kickstarter up for their last album and got the $400 Bitter Drink test press package which came with a bunch of shit, but still, I got a bit out of hand with that. I think I'm still trying to pay it off.

200 bucks is a car payment so it would have to be something pretty gnarly for me to go that high. I think the most i've ever justified was around 100, but i guess as long as you're happy. i've just had way too many situations where I shell out 85 bucks for something rare that ends up getting reissued 6 months later for 25 bucks to do that anymore

Most I spent was $80, and that was for a two album box set ordered directly from a band in Sweden. The album itself was not overly expensive, but the shipping + currency change was. I probably wouldn't do this again; not for that price, anyway. 

As far as over-priced "rare" records, I don't see myself ever spending more than $100. Hell, I can't think of any album I'd spend more than $60 on right now. I can listen to pretty much everything I want online, and I don't even mean illegally. And if not, CDs are almost always cheap and readily available. 

Generally, if I can't find it for under $40, I'll wait. Too many other albums I want which are easily found for $15-20. 

depends...if i was collecting something less useful (art for hanging, baseball cards) then i could see paying a lot more.  i dont know why a rare record wouldnt fall into that category too...i considered paying >400 for the last copy of how strange innocence that popped up (went for way more, anyway)

i feel like the resale value is there in many of these rarer records, so it isnt necessarily $$$ down the drain

I'm still hoping for Sara Bareillies to repress her first two albums, becasue they currently go for upwards of $125. I can't justify that right now as mcn as I love her music

I love me some Sara B

With that said I'll have to check what Kaliedascope Heart goes for the ebay because I might just have to sell my copy.  I lucked out a year back or so she had a handful of copies this left and I was able to pick up a signed copy.

I love me some Sara B

With that said I'll have to check what Kaliedascope Heart goes for the ebay because I might just have to sell my copy. I lucked out a year back or so she had a handful of copies this left and I was able to pick up a signed copy.

If sealed and/or autographed, you will do well