Project Debut carbon - bad sound quality

So I just set up my first hifi system: Debut Carbon, Onkyo A-9050, and some Infinity RS5 speakers. I followed the tutorials for setting up the turntable and the needle tracks just fine, but the quality is shit. I hooked my phone up to my new amp and played the same song that was spinning on the table at the same time and the difference is huge. The mp3 version sounds amazing on this amp. Is the Ortofone 2M red a junk cartridge? Maybe my expectations were too high for this turntable? I played a few different records including 180g of RHCP-Stadium Arcadium. Looking for some insight. Thanks. 

What turntable are you upgrading from that your comparing the sound to? obviously youve been on here for awhile and have purchased other records so you should know theres a sound difference between vinyl and mp3 playback. 

I know there is a sound difference, it just doesn't sound good at all. This is my first turntable. I listened to this turntable at an audio store in SF before I purchased and it sounded good there. 

The Ortofon 2M is great, but I've heard of people having defective ones. Do you have any other cartridge/needle? Try with that

I don't have any other cartridges yet.

I know there is a sound difference, it just doesn't sound good at all. This is my first turntable. 

wait so then what have you been using to listen to your records before the debut? haven't you been a member here for awhile just going by your previous posts...

anyways...your cartridge or turntable COULD be defective which in that case - bummer - contact warranty or just return. The Ortofon Red 2M is certainly not a "junk cartridge" and it doesn't sound like you did any research on this before you decided to pick up the TT. The debut carbon is highly reviewed and generally recommended to buyers in its price range.

I dont know what else to tell you, if it sounds like “junk” and you think the “quality is shit” then you should return it and try something else. 

no one else here needs to try and convince you of otherwise.

I haven't used any of my records until now. I've been saving up for the system I wanted. I have done plenty of research I'm just not pleased with the sound when I think it should sound better based on the reviews I've read for both the amp and the turntable. So I'm trying to figure out if I'm doing something wrong, because I'm new to this. I guess I'll just have to try another cartridge to see if there's a difference.

ok is there a phono pre-amp on your amplifier? that sounds like its probably the issue here.... if it doesn't go get a phono pre-amp

yeah it's got a phone stage. I have fixed the problem. Thanks for the help and input guys. Just needed to troubleshoot more. Noob mistake!

yeah it's got a phone stage. I have fixed the problem. Thanks for the help and input guys. Just needed to troubleshoot more. Noob mistake!

Was the phono input the issue? Just think it'd be good to say what your mistake was so that other people in your situation can see this thread and say oh they had the same issue, and here's what I can do to fix it.

Was the phono input the issue? Just think it'd be good to say what your mistake was so that other people in your situation can see this thread and say oh they had the same issue, and here's what I can do to fix it.

I just adjusted the weight a little more for more tracking force like Kannibal suggested. Also on my onkyo amp, the direct function was on, but looked like it was off. ;)

I just adjusted the weight a little more for more tracking force like Kannibal suggested. Also on my onkyo amp, the direct function was on, but looked like it was off. ;)

Are you using a tracking force scale? You should get one if not. Guessing where your tracking force should be may have fixed your sound quality problems, but if it isn't set to the right weight you will damage your records and stylus for the long run.

Are you using a tracking force scale? You should get one if not. Guessing where your tracking force should be may have fixed your sound quality problems, but if it isn't set to the right weight you will damage your records and stylus for the long run.

Totally agree, the instructions booklet comes with the specified grams for the ortofon 2mred, make sure all measured up.

Ortofon 2m Red recommended downforce is 17.5mN & anti skating force adj. loop fish hook should be set to the 2nd center groove ring of the stub. (assuming you have the debut carbon arm)

The direct mode button should not be a problem. In fact, I would probably use it as it should give you a more pure sound. In theory, at least. But ultimately, it is up to you. 

Regarding the tracking force, did you set it up yourself? The arm balancing method works, but it can be slightly inaccurate, but not enough to cause damage. But do be careful. a thin sound can be cause by too little tracking force, but too much tracking force can be detrimental to sound and record wear.

This. This. This.

You can pick up a Shure SFG-2 for very cheap. I suggest checking eBay. No batteries required, accurate, and reliable. I cannot emphasize enough that some type of VTF (aka vertical tracking force) scale is an essential accessory to own. Just be certain you're setting the VTF to what the 2M Red cartridge recommends.