Why the fuck did I sell that?

In the mid 2000's I thought I was "getting out" of collecting vinyl, so I sold off almost all of my collection. I had orginal presses of Coheed and Cambria IKSSE and Deja that I sold for well below what they are worth now. I also had a clear pressing of Pinback's Blue Screen Life that I sold for super cheap. I don't think I'll ever get over selling those.

What records did you sell/trade/lose that you are eternally pissed about?

I didn't think I was getting out of vinyl but having been buying since about '88, in the mid 2000s I felt the same as you. The prices were going down, and I had a lot of records just taking up room. I didn't sell loads and loads, but some rare ones for not much. Off the top of my head, FSOL white label test pressing of one of their LPs. And Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation original press with signed poster. Also a rare clear or coloured vinyl Depeche Mode LP.

I am sure I will remember more, but they are the painful ones.

As of now, I've only been collecting for a little over two years, so I haven't really made any catastrophic errors. But I sold both of my copies of the Hotelier - Home, Like Noplace is There (tour press and lavender) to guys on here. I'm glad I was able to help some guys out, but I kinda wish I had kept those.

I purchased the Zimmerman 10 of Swords box set in 1990 for $150(CAD) and got rid of it within that same year when i needed the cash. Really Really Really wish i hadn't done that.

I made tape copies of the albums before i got rid of it, but I lost those tapes in a move in college and have only been able to find some of them online. I tried to buy this set last year but was outbid again and again.

Traded Every Time I Die's "Gutter Phenomenon" to someone for an Explosions in the Sky album before the whole SH/Virgil thing came crashing down. Figured I could easily get another copy for $12 or whatever if I wanted it, but now they go for upwards of $75. The worst part about it is the EITS album is one that's pressed poorly so there's tons of surface noise. Been kicking myself for a few years about that.

I've been fortunate that most rare records I've sold later got repressed, and if anything the value of my OPs would've dropped. Mars Volta's Deloused... Wilco's Summerteeth... Even Pete Yorn's first LP... All well north of $100 when they were very OOP. (Bob Dylan's Time Out Of Mind went for $200+ I think.) 

My huge regrets are NOT buying records I could've picked up dirt cheap back in the day. We're talking ALL the original Pearl Jam records for around $15 or so... Frances The Mute for about $30.... Avett Brothers' Gleam II for $10 for YEARS. (Now sells for $200+.) 

Plus records I don't personally care about owning but could've sold for crazy money now.... The entire My Chemical Romance catalog sat in our store for years with the records priced around $20... DMB's Before These Crowded Streets was marked down to $12 trying to clear it out... etc etc.

In the mid 2000's I thought I was "getting out" of collecting vinyl, so I sold off almost all of my collection. I had orginal presses of Coheed and Cambria IKSSE and Deja that I sold for well below what they are worth now. I also had a clear pressing of Pinback's Blue Screen Life that I sold for super cheap. I don't think I'll ever get over selling those.

Your situation sounds a lot like mine, as I bought a lot of vinyl during the late 90s until the very early 2000s, and have over the course of many years sold stuff that I just didn't think I really wanted.  

But now I'm realizing that I poured a lot of time and money into collecting records, and that as little as I have accomplished in my life, it would be nice to be able to give my son my record collection one day and (hopefully) have him think "wow, that's pretty neat"

I wouldn't say "eternally pissed" about selling anything, but honestly every thing I've sold over the years turned into cash that I spent, probably not all that wisely, and have nothing to really show for it.  

But specific records, I'm not thrilled about all the old Hydrahead stuff I sold off.  I kept a few things (mostly the less rare varients), but I sold off a bunch of 1st pressing Botch, Cave IN, Dillinger Escape Plan and others that I had bought back then that has always been highly collectible.  Keeping with the hard stuff theme, I sold off tons of hardcore shit that I just wasn't into back then.  Isis, Orchid, etc.  

For some strange reason I also sold my first pressing copy of Goddammit, by AK3.  I also sold off the Mineral records I had.  

Also, I sold off my copy of AFI's All Hallow's ep on orange that I pre-ordered for, I believe $5 ppd.  I guess I thought why NOT sell it if someone is going to give me $150 for it? 

I still have The Casket Lottery's "Choose Bronze" on clear vinyl, and the half peach/red version, but I sold my white vinyl copy years ago.  I thought, "why do I need this many variations of this album" - but they are still one of my favorite bands from that era/style of music and honestly, the white vinyl version is probably the coolest one now that I think about it.  

One regret I had is that this friend of mine offered to give me a bunch of his vinyl back around 1999 or 2000, and I didn't take it from him. He had a ton of stuff, Jawbreaker records, Nirvana, bunch of punk and indie stuff.   He wasn't really a record collector to begin with, but when he learned I had gotten into it, he offered to just basically give me his records.  

The way it went down is that we hadn't seen each other for about a year or so, and he came to visit me (we had both moved from the town we had met and became friends in).  He actually brought the records with him, cause he found out I started collecting vinyl.  So he shows up with these very nice records, but I told him that I couldn't do that to him, that his records were worth a good deal of money.  He said he didn't care, but I still declined.

Sometimes I think i should have just taken those records from him.  I don't even speak with the guy anymore - and I know his generosity is making him sound like some sort of saint, but he was kind of an ass.  Last time I talked to him he had turned into a full blown communist and was working at a women's shelter or something, so he probably gave the records away anyway.  

And to continue this never ending post, I will say my biggest regret with vinyl, is of course, all the records that I did NOT buy back when I had the chance.

I remember this guy selling a copy of Alkaline Trio's "Sundails" 7" back around 1999 (at that point you couldn't really find it in any distros or mail orders) for $25 and thinking, "that's way too much for a 7"".  I also remember buying Jimmy Eat World's "Clarity" on black vinyl, and then later thinking, maybe I should buy the color vinyl version as well, but never doing that.  And I never joined the Fat Wreck record club thing, or bought any of that vinyl back then, cause even at that age I thought I had kind of grown out of NOFX, but damn NOFX vinyl is insanely priced now.  I did own a few NOFX records, but sold all of them off.  

Also, the whole span of about 10 years where I bought absolutely no vinyl.  

My huge regrets are NOT buying records I could've picked up dirt cheap back in the day. We're talking ALL the original Pearl Jam records for around $15 or so... Frances The Mute for about $30.... Avett Brothers' Gleam II for $10 for YEARS. (Now sells for $200+.) 

Plus records I don't personally care about owning but could've sold for crazy money now.... The entire My Chemical Romance catalog sat in our store for years with the records priced around $20... DMB's Before These Crowded Streets was marked down to $12 trying to clear it out... etc etc.

Yes,  this is where the regret turns in to more anger, thinking about all those records I could have bought in the 1990s that I didn't think were "cool" - I was too busy buying crap from the Mutant Pop records catalog, or some other other stuff instead of buying some of the great Rock/Indie albums of the 90s.  

there were only the original presses for IKS, it hasn't been repressed, which is why it's so expensive. How much did you sell IKS for?

uuugh, too many in this category. Bloc Party 'Silent Alarm' 3LP, Coheed SSTB, Dear and the Headlights 'Small Steps', entire DCFC discog thinking I would raise money for the box which I never bought, ISIS discography with the same mentality, aaand Pelican discography minus their self titled album with the same mentality, Smashing Pumpkins 'Adore', Passion Pit 'Manners', OG press of Dopesmoker. Tracked down some real good goods that I sold over the years, but have tons to get back. I could go on and on, I sold most of my collection after I quit my job Nov '12. Sad days!