Why the fuck did I sell that?

Back in the early nineties I sold my collection of close to 150 thrash and death metal records because I was "getting too old for metal" (how young and naive I was to believe such a thing) and also because I needed some funds to get with the times and finally acquire a CD player. I got 3000 NoK for the lot, about 500 bucks, which is less than $3.5 a piece. Among the records was this one:

R-805174-1378285164-7281.jpeg

A copy sold on the bay a few months ago for more than 3000 bucks.

I currently can't view that picture and i am just really curious as to what the record that sold for 3000$ was, if anyone could let me know that would be pretty cool.

My favorite part of this thread is how it is centered around monetary regrets and not about regretting letting something go because of musical value. 

My post was genuine regret that I got rid of some records I love. None of them were ever that hard to come by and most have been repressed since, but yeah.

Havent been collecting for long so I have no regrets about selling because I actually have never sold any of my records...but I do regret is not buying a copy of Matthew Good - Lights of Endangered Species when it was in print... My favourite album by him and I realize after I start collecting records that his records always go out of print once the next one comes out and he has never repressed anything... 

I think I've posted this in a similar thread but I sold a copy of the circa survive Juturna pic disc in order to purchase the white/green swirl version because I wanted to get the better sound quality. It was a tough section because the album cover and pic disc art are beautiful for that variant. Well, two weeks later the Juturna reissues came out. :(

When it was originally released, I bought a copy of Elephant by the White Stripes. Mine was black vinyl, so I arranged to trade someone for the US press with coloured vinyl.

The one I traded was the Australian Exclusive version..... http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?pagenum=1&searchtext=elephant+australian&incldescr=&sortord=ddate&thumbs=&currsel=

My favorite part of this thread is how it is centered around monetary regrets and not about regretting letting something go because of musical value. 

i almost sold my Failure - Fantastic Planet earlier in the year when there was that run where they were going between 300 and 450 a pop... sometimes I wonder why I didn't, on the other hand about a year ago, I talked a guy down to 15 euros for a copy of it, along with another record... THAT guy should be in this thread :(

I also wonder why I haven't sold my Trainspotting OST considering what I could get for it...

but I generally dont sell records unless really desperate... sold my half my Ween collection, but I either had doubles or the re-issues, so that softens the sting of lossing original Mollusk and !2GCG...

Wish I hadn't sold Pearl Jams Lost Dogs / Glad I sold Your Favorite Weapon (I only care about  De Ja...)

That's misinterpreting it. Letting go of a record because you think it can be easily replaced, then having its value skyrocket, is way different than regretting the amount it could be sold for now.

Taking the pretentious position that musical value inherently outweighs any monetary value is foolish at best. I would sell my entire collection right now if my family needed it for financial reasons. It doesn't mean there is no musical value. 

Man, I just had a discogs order come through for my Maps & Atlases - Tress, Swallows, Houses EP. I put it up for an absolutely ridiculous price that I never thought anyone would pay. Sure enough, got the order email less than a day later.

Im very reluctant to send this invoice, but it's pretty much an offer I can't refuse. Sigh...

That's misinterpreting it. Letting go of a record because you think it can be easily replaced, then having its value skyrocket, is way different than regretting the amount it could be sold for now.

Taking the pretentious position that musical value inherently outweighs any monetary value is foolish at best. I would sell my entire collection right now if my family needed it for financial reasons. It doesn't mean there is no musical value. 

It is not foolish or pretentious at all.   I just noticed that no one regrets selling anything because they think its a great album or great music, everyone is just talking about how they regret selling something that is now "expensive".  That is what I would consider foolish. I don't have a single record on my collection based on its deemed value.

Back in the early nineties I sold my collection of close to 150 thrash and death metal records because I was "getting too old for metal" (how young and naive I was to believe such a thing) and also because I needed some funds to get with the times and finally acquire a CD player. I got 3000 NoK for the lot, about 500 bucks, which is less than $3.5 a piece. Among the records was this one:

R-805174-1378285164-7281.jpeg

A copy sold on the bay a few months ago for more than 3000 bucks.

It is not foolish or pretentious at all.   I just noticed that no one regrets selling anything because they think its a great album or great music, everyone is just talking about how they regret selling something that is now "expensive".  That is what I would consider foolish. I don't have a single record on my collection based on its deemed value.

Let me explain my feelings on this. I spoke about Daydream Nation by Sonic Youth. Now I love that album. Mudhoney/SY/Nirvana were the soundtrack to my teenage years.

I had the rare vinyl signed poster first press edition. Before I got this, I had it on CD as well. (I still do). I can listen to it on CD at any point in time.

For albums I love, having a nice edition, with some connection to the past/the band and a piece of history is important. (Kind of why I like signed copies of my favourite books). For Mudhoney, I have the picture disk of EGBDF. and also the fudge coloured edition.

I sold the Sonic Youth vinyl just to make room and at that time thought that I could easily pick it up again if I really, really wanted it. I sold it for not much money at all, in the 2000s as nobody was interested in vinyl, well a few die-hards were.

What has happened in recent years is that vinyl has become very 'cool' again. Which for people like me who have been buying it for 25 years is strange, but nice to observe. The side effect of this is that should I ever want to get a copy back, it will cost a large amount of money. I can always listen to it on CD if I want. But that connection I had isn't there.

Does this make sense?

According to Google, pretentious means, "attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed." You are saying that musical value is of greater importance than monetary value. It can be debated as to what has more importance, but that is a case by case basis. No one appointed you judge and jury about what has more value to someone. 

I regret a ton of stuff I have sold that is not expensive, but if I start a thread saying, "I'm so upset that I sold The Blood Brothers - Burn Piano Island, Burn" (a record that has many pressings) it doesn't really matter because a copy is easily obtainable, not to mention the amount of "who cares" comments I would get.

I don't want records because they are "expensive," I just regret selling something that would become hard to purchase without spending hundreds of dollars.   

I remember seeing AFI's Sing The Sorrow on vinyl at Hot Topic when I was younger, and always thought it was weird, but cool, that it was on vinyl. Not something I regret selling, but I wish I would've known I liked records then and bought that cause they've yet to re-issue that one and most people sell theirs in the $70-$180 range.

I really want that record, hah.

Record collecting is expensive, so sometimes needs must (unless you're wealthy/live in your mom's basement). Fact of life. And times when needs must, there's a hierarchy of shit you'd like to keep but are cool with letting go and shit you'd be pretty miserable to sell but it's either that or you starve, your family starves or whatever. After almost 30 years of buying records you learn to let go of things you'll never play or notice were gone. My major 'why the fuck did i' moment is and will always be "why the fuck did I cancel my Sub Pop Singles Club subscription 3 months before they put out that damn White Stripes 7?". Everything they put out was more or less shit (with a few exceptions) for the first two 1/2 years, and then when I cancel it's suddenly White Stripes, Bright Eyes, Destroyer, J Mascis, Mountain Goats, Iron and Wine, Ugly Casanova etc. Fuuuuuuck!

i almost sold my Failure - Fantastic Planet earlier in the year when there was that run where they were going between 300 and 450 a pop... sometimes I wonder why I didn't, 

I did this and I don't regret it, that's a fuckton of money for one record even if it is one of my all time favourites. Plus I'm banking on them repressing it, with the reunion/new album and such.