Why the fuck did I sell that?

Just out of curiosity, are records more expensive to buy now due to demand? Or because the american dollar is shit and times are harder?

I think it's demand. The record industry is a business that's been trying to recover since the digital / napster era. Vinyl has been one of the few boosts in physical media in a very long time. They are maximizing profits as much as possible.

I think it's demand. The record industry is a business that's been trying to recover since the digital / napster era. Vinyl has been one of the few boosts in physical media in a very long time. They are maximizing profits as much as possible.

To expand on that, I think the increased popularity of vinyl now when compared to 5-10 years ago, means new collectors are trying to fill their collection with older, OOP records that had much smaller pressing runs. Once upon a time, a run of 1000 was enough for all the fans of a particular band, but nowdays 3000-5000 is more likely.

I don't think that there will be as many records from today that will be worth $80-$200 in 5-10 years time, unless its a supermegarare coloured pressing designed to capitalise on the increased interest in vinyl.

Man, I just had a discogs order come through for my Maps & Atlases - Tress, Swallows, Houses EP. I put it up for an absolutely ridiculous price that I never thought anyone would pay. Sure enough, got the order email less than a day later.

Im very reluctant to send this invoice, but it's pretty much an offer I can't refuse. Sigh...

i had no idea that was worth a lot. wasn't that on sargent house's webstore for the longest time?

i sold my copy of brand new's devil & god (white with black marble. non-AFS pressing) for $120ppd. probably should have kept it. i also sold my copy of freelance whale's weathervanes for like $45ppd

I don't think that there will be as many records from today that will be worth $80-$200 in 5-10 years time, unless its a supermegarare coloured pressing designed to capitalise on the increased interest in vinyl.

I disagree here. I think that pressings marketed specifically to capitalize on the "vinyl bubble" (which has been discussed at length in another thread) will be filling up the dollar bins in years to come after this bubble bursts. I know I've been picking on Aerosmith a lot since RSD, but their reissues come to mind. I don't know (or care, Aerosmith fuckin sucks) if they were colored or limited, but that's the kind of shit that was pressed for Record Store Day just because of the vinyl bubble, that's the kind of shit that is still sitting around at Easy Street, and that's the kind of shit that will still be sitting around at Easy Street in four years. 

i had no idea that was worth a lot. wasn't that on sargent house's webstore for the longest time?

Naw it was sold directly through friction records but I think it was on their site for a while, although it's been unavailable for some years now. I had never seen one sell for too much, but I've had a lot of people message me out of the blue on here and deadformat asking if I would sell it. I never had plans to but I just said fuck it, listed it for $200 to see if anyone wanted it for that much. I never really listen it nowadays despite it still being one of my faves and constantly listening to it throughout college.

Like someone else said a few posts back, everything in my collection has a price.

Back in the early nineties I sold my collection of close to 150 thrash and death metal records because I was "getting too old for metal" (how young and naive I was to believe such a thing) and also because I needed some funds to get with the times and finally acquire a CD player. I got 3000 NoK for the lot, about 500 bucks, which is less than $3.5 a piece. Among the records was this one:

R-805174-1378285164-7281.jpeg

A copy sold on the bay a few months ago for more than 3000 bucks.

Hooooly shit.

• 6 months later...

So I sold my Jack White Lazeretto 7" on E bay and I thought it was all well, I needed the money at the time. Anyways the New York New York adress was undeliverable as adressed, even though I printed it off of PayPal to a verified address. The parcel was in a weird limbo for three weeks with the tracking popping up all over the place, it would come back to me(or a sort facility close to me) and then back towards New York. I told my PO to flag it and get it sent back to me. At this point I thought I had been scammed and was going to get back a empty box. So after three weeks it ends up at my door undamage (I shipped it first class ) and complete. I was glad I got to keep it and refunded the buyer promptly.... Now I'm thinking of selling it again but I need to get that idea out of my head!

Tame Impala - Innerspeaker (45 RPM edition) and Underoath - Define the Great Line

To this day I'm still really pissed over the Tame Impala one.

I remember just getting into Tame when this came out. Luckily I had the foresight to know how much I would eventually love this band and I bought it from insound before they sold out. I think only 500 made. Spin this all the time

After having records as a kid in the 80s I got into vinyl again in like 1997. Had a lot of 90s alternative stuff. Sold it all by 2002 or so.

Other than that i really regretted selling Tron Legacy. Couldnt enjoy the amazing amount the auction went for. Felt sick that i sold a record that i loved. So much so that i bought it back

Havnt had any major ones.......

Metallica - Ride the Lightning - Black Label Banzai .........Needed some quick cash......i could probably find another for around the $100 Mark

The Amity Affliction - Chasing Ghosts - Green/White /50 - early on i ended up with two and traded one.........Still have one so no biggies

The Amity Affliction - Youngbloods - White Press - Ended up getting it back for Half the Price i sold one for but was pretty bummed when i got rid of it 

For me, it's a copy of the Chain of Strength "What Holds Us Apart" EP. It was one of the rejected mix 7"s that were supposedly destroyed, not the Chain Crew. Mine had a photocopied cover with handwritten notes from one of the band members. I've seen these go for crazy amounts. Mine didn't sell for a crazy amount (though at the time I thought it was).

On the reverse, I traded an original 80's Powell Rat Bones Jacket for a couple records that were hard to find at the time. I've seen them in clearance bins since.  :(

Back in the early nineties I sold my collection of close to 150 thrash and death metal records because I was "getting too old for metal" (how young and naive I was to believe such a thing) and also because I needed some funds to get with the times and finally acquire a CD player. I got 3000 NoK for the lot, about 500 bucks, which is less than $3.5 a piece. Among the records was this one:

Friend of mine who was connected with the whole Inner Circle crew sold it for about 1500 euro in order to purchase a brand new bad ass hunt rifle. 

Metul!

• 3 months later...

Fleetwood Mac 1968 UK Blue Horizon

Tad Club Lingerie live bootleg

Tad all first pressing lps SubPop

NigHeist 7 original pressing

Who Maximum R&B Reaction Records bootleg

Beatles Help Parlaphone mono copy yellow Parlaphone logo

Butthole Surfers Double Live

At the Gates Slaughter of the Soul 1st pressing

Soungarden Superunkown orange vinyl

Sons and Daughters of this Savage Land Bologna Shrapnel Records

Yeah, I would have to blow my head off with a shotgun for selling that one.