Lovedrug - Pretend You're Alive

If they all work full time jobs, maybe they collectively should have been saving all this time to maybe get a good deal on a used van with little mileage/other band related things.  

You would think you'd want as many people to have the product you're putting out.  

With 29,000 fans on fb and only 70 people "promising", that's pretty pathetic.

They'd have have a shit load more money already if they got the ball rolling on a properly priced pre-order of higher quantiy.

what i don't understand is their lack of understanding towards the fact that you can't just become an active band again bc of nostalgia and the resurgence of a medium that didn't exist in 2002 and expect to start up right where you left off without the financial backing of a label. they're failing to realize that their "pledge campaign" is actually just them mainlining money from fans who are also working full time jobs and nurturing their own hobbies on the side. all in the vein of "yeah but we really want to be able to do this, this, and this without actually fronting the money to do so." at this point what they do on a day to day basis is no different than what any of us do. why shouldn't they feel like people are attacking them on social media? they deserve it for asking for $40,000 from complete strangers.

I understand their situation. It's easy to say they should this, or they should do that. We don't now what's going on in their lives...

That being said, $100 is alot of money, and with all the pledges I've been in... Pressing delays, and all the other issues that entail these pledges, its alot of pressure to brought upon a small band like this.

I think they went over their heads here. People will pay, I would pay the $100 if the window was large enough to support.

Failure asked $100 for Fantastic Planet, but, they're Failure. But a band for a band like Lovedrug, they are asking too much. Even with all the extras (not that many), they are just not big enough to get the backing. Sucks cuz I think it's gonna fail. They should have kept a more tangible goal. It would have gotten full support.

I tried to press this about five years ago. At first I was going to fund it myself, but when I realized it would need to be a double LP and how expensive licensing would be, I pitched doing a kickstarter to raise $2,500 (which is less than half), I would fund the rest. The band was for the pressing in general but their manager, after going back and forth, said no because it could be bad PR for the band if the kickstarter didn't reach its goal. I said they'd have no problem hitting it, then they said they're going to wait until the rights of the album divert to them in 2014 so they could do a proper remaster.  

Offer 400 copies for $100 each, there's your bad PR. 

Rich Condon is their bassist...  

Ben Waterboofer This is so dumb. If you want to tour again, pick up your instruments and hit the road in a borrowed car.

Like · Reply · 2 hrs
12193531_10205328510600268_8242147686436
Rich Condon You can buy gas with cd's, right?

Like · Reply · 22 mins
1975140_10100099637073854_47954722667367
Ben Waterboofer People buy their tickets months before you drive to the venue and pay for gas. You of all people should know that. Try again. Nice try with the smug response though.

Every day unsigned and grassroots bands manage to go on tour without selling vinyl at $100 a pop. Maybe you need a dose of reality.

Do you need to enter any credit card info for the "promise"? If not, I say we promise the fuck out of it and then flake out

Hahaha, nope, just a name and email address - I just promised 3 ;)

Also, keep in mind "The pre-order is $100. You have the option to donate more, if you wish, but $100 will get you all of the things listed above. <3"

my favorite: I feel like most people on this page aren't fans or friends. How can you say you love and support a group but then tell them their music isn't worth $100? I keep seeing comments about it being "such a joke" and "your average fan doesn't have $100"...I'm sorry, but to ask a group of people, who have other jobs by the way, to put that on hold to do a tour again is dedication and sacrifice. And this "average fan" doesn't mow neighbors' lawns for a living and will gladly pledge the $100 dollars they're asking for because she actually values their time and art.

Deeply sorry you're experiencing so much hate, Lovedrug. Brush it off.

It's not even about hating on the band or their art. $100 for a double LP is not reasonable. Period. Hell, all they had to do was include some piece of merch and maybe a ticket to a show, and I'd consider buying.

If they want to start a kickstarter to help them go on tour, I'm sure they would get tons of support. It shouldn't be included into something that would normally cost between $20-$30. I would even pay $40-$50 for it, and most people would call me crazy for spending that much on an album. And saying that digital downloads for Notions and PYA are included in the price is ridiculous. Most albums come with digital downloads. I can't imagine digital downloads cost them that much money.

The problem that the band is failing to realize is that they created the problem in the way they worded the funding campaign. Read this, taken straight from the bands website:

"Over the years, we have heard the resounding requests to have our first album Pretend You’re Alive pressed to vinyl. Well, that’s exactly what we are going to do. We’ve thought of a way that we can work together to get the vinyl pressed AND help LOVEDRUG hit the road hard in 2016 so we can come see you in your hometown. Introducing: the PYA PROMISE 400."

Simply put by the band 1. We see demand for vinyl and were going to press it, AND oh, by the way 2. This is a great opportunity to also tour off the revenue we can get from price gouging. Then once the backlash comes from their fans they flip their priorities and make it seem that the vinyl is just a small goodie in the deal. Hell, the page on the bands website thats dedicated to the funding is actually called "PYA Vinyl", not "Send us on tour".

It's the order in which this is presented that starts the argument. A better ask would be. "Hey! We love to tour and want to continue but were low on funds. Pledge $100 to send us back on tour and as a bonus we'll throw in a copy of PYA and some other stuff"

I think that's why they're backpedaling and trying to frame it like "no, no, we are crowd funding for this tour, and you get the vinyl as a reward."  Now, anyone who enters the conversation sees it like that rather than "you guys wanted PYA on vinyl, so we're going to gouge the fuck out of you for it."

Seriously, fuck these guys.  And that's coming from someone who's supported this band since I saw them open for Minus the Bear in 2003.

The problem that the band is failing to realize is that they created the problem in the way they worded the funding campaign. 

The problem is if they don't get what they want, no one gets anything. They don't raise the funds to go on tour with the campaign (get 400 promises), then no one gets a record.  If we scratch their back, they'll scratch ours, but only if we scratch first.

They are forcing their fans to donate twice(+) the cost of the record if they want the product.

It's gross.