Impulse buys that turned out great/bad.

I bought this Diamond Version EP a few weeks ago because I liked the cover and it was in the sale bin for $3. Turned out to be some incredible minimal techno. http://www.discogs.com/Diamond-Version-EP3/release/4232064

That one's on my mind because it's so recent, but it definitely has to be in my top 3 best unknown impulse buys in terms of bang for the buck.

I bought the tarot card variant of Matt Duncan - Soft Times on a whim last year, because I liked the one song they had online and I liked the idea of the tarot card pressed into the vinyl. I was disappointed with the album as a whole when it was released, but especially with the vinyl pressing because of the pressing mishap that rendered the tarot card copies unplayable on the A-side.

I'm glad I bought it, though, because the tarot card copy still looks cool as heck (and they sent a black copy along with it), and I warmed up to the album really quickly. It's so fun to listen to during those warm summer nights. It's probably going to go back into heavy rotation in a week or two, since it's getting to be that sort of weather again.

*inhales*

Anberlin - Cities (when it came out on cd)

Appleseed Cast - Illumination Ritual

Both CFCF albums

Caspian - Waking Season

Ducktails - Wish Hotel

Fleet Foxes - s/t

Gardens & Villa - Dunes

Here We Go Magic - A Different Ship

Indians - Somewhere Else

JT Daly - Memory

Kishi Bashi's trio of singles

Little Tybee - For Distant Viewing

Both Lowercase Noises EPs

Lord Huron - Lonesome Dreams

Mark McGuire - Along The Way

Pretty much all Miles Davis albums, Prestige/Columbia era

Moving Mountains - s/t

S. Carey - Range Of Light

She Sir - Go Guitar

Shy, Low 12"

Son Lux - Lanterns

Sleeping At Last's album

Stars - The North

States - Paradigm

Toro y Moi - Anything In Return

Vetiver - The Errant Charm

Washed Out - Within And Without

White Denim - Corsicana Lemonade

And pretty much every jazz release I've bought. If I like the artist, the interest is there.

*exhales, passes out*

I buy too much music blindly..

edit: i really like all said albums

Son lux!! Kishi!! Washed Out!! Stars!! All amazing.

MxPx - Let it Happen - Only purchased because I was a child, it had a cool skateboard guy on it, and it was 32 songs for 7.99.....literally changed my life forever.

If I thought long and hard about it, I'm sure there are many more albums like this over the years that have been pleasant surprises.  I remember being a freshman in high school and blindly purchasing Mewithoutyou [A-->B] Life...also a game changer!

I was at one of my local shops last year, and saw the Reflektor single. It was hyped so much everywhere that I got vinyl news that I felt I just had to have this. Everyone else wanted it. I paid $14 for my copy, which in retrospect was just a tad steep. I'd never really listened to Arcade Fire.

I learned two things that day:

1- I'm sickeningly susceptible to hype.

2- I can't fucking stand Arcade Fire.

It's been played once and hasn't been touched since. I keep it around as my constant reminder that I don't need to pull the trigger on EVERY release that I vaguely think I might want.

too many polyvinyl albums for it to be ok.  my "of Montreal is on there so all of the other bands must be good" logic is actually not far off.  I've been turned on to a ton of great bands that way.

Also I bought  Girls - Album because a guy I had a crush on liked them and there is a song with my name as the title but I had never listened to them.  probably one of my better impulse buys because I love that album.

most recently: athletics - who you are is not enough. turned out excellently.

i bought a lot of CDs when i was a kid so there were a lot of bad purchases back then. so i consider it a success when i actually found a good band, and going in blind on making april's runaway world was a great choice back then. i've outgrown it a bit but it's still an excellent debut EP.

I bought this at Goodwill for $0.55 just because I hadn't seen a record newer than 1995 other than rap 12"'s and was thoroughly impressed wish I could somehow find more by them but I think that is very unlikely. Very Shins like in my opinion.

The Preakness - S/T 7"

http://www.discogs.com/Preakness-The-Preakness/release/3767844

most recently: athletics - who you are is not enough. turned out excellently.

i bought a lot of CDs when i was a kid so there were a lot of bad purchases back then. so i consider it a success when i actually found a good band, and going in blind on making april's runaway world was a great choice back then. i've outgrown it a bit but it's still an excellent debut EP.

Wooooooo

Balance and composure - the things we think were missing

I had seen them several years ago opening for senses fail and wasn't impressed. But everyone was hyping it and the guy the store was telling me how rad it was. And we like a lot of similar music. It's not normally what I listen to but I dig it if I'm in the right mood. Definitely glad I bought it

Justin timberlake - 20/20 experience part 2

I loved part one and thought part 2 would be as good. There are a few good songs but it's not as good as part one.