I just snagged a technics sl-q200 table at a local thrift store.  Everything seems to be in working order, but there is no grounding cable.  I'm an idiot with these things - is there anything you can make that would be a quick fix for something like this, or universal grounding cables that can be purchased?

sounds like you have an extremely unique problem.

Google results would argue otherwise.

Check this out or like I implied, do a basic google search for "technics sl-q200 ground wire" and you'll find some info:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=288929

I also found these from a suggestion in a thread so they might be of help:

http://www.turntableneedles.com/SJPB7M-Technics-Type-Turntable-Ground-Wire--Improved_p_3819.html

http://www.turntableneedles.com/SFEL028-01E-Technics-Type-Turntable-Ground-Wire--Improved_p_1877.html

EDIT: 3arl beat me with the links so sounds like this might be the right track anyway. :-)

I've totally done this on tables where the ground wire has snapped off.  First, if the power plug is a three prong on your table then you don't need one, it would be redundant, that's what the third prong IS.  Assuming you're on a two prong:

• Run a piece of wire from touching metal on the turntable to touching metal of another piece of equipment that IS grounded.
  • Run a piece of wire from touching metal on the turntable to touching metal of a power outlet (I took the face off mine and tied it to a hole on the metal box underneath)
  • You can run a wire straight into the third hole on a outlet, but you can't secure it, and then you can't plug anything in to that socket with the wire in the way.

Hopefully this isn't completely stupid, but I needed one and didn't want to order one and wait, so instead I just pulled apart some speaker cable and used only one of the wires and attached one end to my TT and the other to the grounding post on my amplifier. It works just fine, but is there any reason I shouldn't do this?

Google results would argue otherwise.

Hold up buck-o.  I don't think that anybody appreciates you implying that the OP is some sort of dickless gom-tard who would waste dozens of people's time with a "problem" that could have been resolved by spending 15 seconds formulating a Google query.

don't be petty.

If you want the best quality sound with the ability to restore dynamics that were never on the recording in the first place, causes minimal record wear, and you want your system to look and smell it's best, only use the best audiophile, purest grade solid silver core with hand woven cashmere outer jacket ground wire.

I have 3 going from my turntable to different components and I'm thinking of upgrading to 5. It was like a thick wool, soundproof, non-audiophile blanket was lifted of my speakers everytime I added one!

Hold up buck-o.  I don't think that anybody appreciates you implying that the OP is some sort of dickless gom-tard who would waste dozens of people's time with a "problem" that could have been resolved by spending 15 seconds formulating a Google query.

don't be petty.

Uhm, I was referring to your comment that he had a "unique problem" which was incorrect. Relax buddy.

thank you for the tips everyone, i greatly appreciate it.

Back on topic... I'm glad we were able to help you get things figured out, brianmorgante.

If you want the best quality sound with the ability to restore dynamics that were never on the recording in the first place, causes minimal record wear, and you want your system to look and smell it's best, only use the best audiophile, purest grade solid silver core with hand woven cashmere outer jacket ground wire.

I have 3 going from my turntable to different components and I'm thinking of upgrading to 5. It was like a thick wool, soundproof, non-audiophile blanket was lifted of my speakers everytime I added one!

Silver is so last year it's platinum or nothing for me, and that cashmere really needs to come from animals that graze on a north facing slope if it's going to have any real effect.