Anyone else play Magic The Gathering?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you definitely don't need to do that. you should look up how to play the game if you don't know already. and then try to understand it as best as possible. then see if anywhere around you hosts draft games. for like 10-15 dollars you get to make your own deck right on the spot. and if you do well you can win packs and stuff

I was supposed to be playing in GP Minneapolis this weekend but after my car was broken into on Easter and all my cards were stolen I don't have a modern deck to play right now. Almost have it built again, but definitely a bummer.

I play lots of standard though and recently took 33rd out of 300 at the Minneapolis PTQ.

i want to start playing, but don't know where to get started. i feel like i need to get like 200 cards right off the bat.

They just released a new set called Journey Into Nyx.  They sell starter decks that are like 15 bucks and perfect for getting started.  You also get two booster packs with it.  Would recommend doing that and learning how to play the game before going nuts and buying a ton of cards. 

My friends and I have gotten pretty into it lately. We play 2-3 times a week but it's always very casual. I went to one FNM but it wasn't my speed. I'm not really interested in being hyper competitive or buying $30 cards.

I just put together a Pauper Cube. We've been drafting out of that and it's a lot of fun. If we are playing constructed, I have a weird black deck that I made, or I just use a duel deck.

If anyone is looking for an Archangel of Thune, I've got one that I'd trade for dollars or records.

They just released a new set called Journey Into Nyx. They sell starter decks that are like 15 bucks and perfect for getting started. You also get two booster packs with it. Would recommend doing that and learning how to play the game before going nuts and buying a ton of cards.

Thanks for the suggestion, I think I'll do that

Another tip for new players: I highly recommend playing the MTG 2014 or 2013 video games. They were instrumental in teaching me how to play the game well. Also, make sure you do enough research on the stack to fully understand that mechanic. My friends and I played wrong for awhile before we fully understood the stack.

Another tip for new players: I highly recommend playing the MTG 2014 or 2013 video games. They were instrumental in teaching me how to play the game well. Also, make sure you do enough research on the stack to fully understand that mechanic. My friends and I played wrong for awhile before we fully understood the stack.

That's how I learned how to play.

Played from Unlimited through Tempest... loooong time.
Sold my dual lands and a bunch of other rares for a few thousand bucks about 3 years ago and bought records with the money.
I have a box full of the ones I couldn't move for at least 60 bucks each and have a spreadsheet if anyone is interested in trading or buying.

Some from most sets (although very few in the black bordered old sets).

Played from about 4th Edition (1993?) to Torment. I got into it solely because my big brother was way into it when I was young, and I wanted to join in. Plus, we both had someone to play with.

I was casual since I was a kid and didn't have any money. I'd go to tournaments with my brother and some school friends sometimes. I heavily favored black, for some reason, while he favored blue because card advantage and counterspell. I never won anything but I kept going. I made a Delraich deck I thought was going to be hot shit. Turn one, swamp, Blood Pet or Duress. Second turn, swamp, Dark Ritual, Sengir Autocrat, sac the three tokens to cast Delraich for free, hope he doesn't have a Force Spike. Not surprisingly it wasn't that good. One time I went with my brother's deck since he couldn't go and almost made Top 8. It was a Wild Research deck.

Right around freshman year of high school (2002) I made some internal decision that if I was ever going to have friends or be 'cool' I should probably dump the cards. My brother is 29 and still plays, although he still doesn't really win important tournaments.

I still play the old Microprose 'Shandalar' thing from time to time when I get bored but I can't be fucked to start buying cards again. There's way too much shit I missed.