Anyone else play Magic The Gathering?

Played from Unlimited through Tempest... loooong time.

Sold my dual lands and a bunch of other rares for a few thousand bucks about 3 years ago and bought records with the money.

I have a box full of the ones I couldn't move for at least 60 bucks each and have a spreadsheet if anyone is interested in trading or buying.

Some from most sets (although very few in the black bordered old sets).

Would be curious to see your list - [email protected]

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

picked up the journey into nyx thing like suggested and have been watching videos on how to play. probably going to go to a friday night magic next week. hopefully the people there aren't elitists and help me out a little bit haha.

Nerds are either really nice or pretentious as fuck.  I'm sure it will be a mix of both.

If you got an X-Box or an iPad download the game.  You will learn a lot

I still have all my original MTG cards. Of course, I stopped playing around the time "Ice Age" came out... maybe little after so all I own are early Beta series through roughly that time period. I should just make a list and sell them. Probably still have my old Necropotence deck that I used to win a few tournaments as well. Made it all the way to Seattle once for the Pro Tour waaaay back in the day. Good memories.

picked up the journey into nyx thing like suggested and have been watching videos on how to play. probably going to go to a friday night magic next week. hopefully the people there aren't elitists and help me out a little bit haha.

To be honest, if I had gone to FNM with only a few weeks experience, I would have probably quit. I found at least half of the people to be pretty snobby. The $400 deck I beat with my shit deck was actually a guy that was talking shit on people with 'kitchen Magic' decks, meaning gimmicky or any deck really that isn't just a clone or modification of a pro's. Hopefully you'll have a better experience than me but if not, don't be discouraged! With those sets on ebay, are they full sets with one of each card or what?

I'm gonna dig out my MTG collection that I still have archived somewhere in this house. Would you guys be interested in buying them? I could make up a list of the cards, editions, conditions, and post them up...

I know I have a bunch of Star Wars cards too. Maybe some Rage cards as well. I got into Rage pretty good after MTG.

To be honest, if I had gone to FNM with only a few weeks experience, I would have probably quit. I found at least half of the people to be pretty snobby. The $400 deck I beat with my shit deck was actually a guy that was talking shit on people with 'kitchen Magic' decks, meaning gimmicky or any deck really that isn't just a clone or modification of a pro's. Hopefully you'll have a better experience than me but if not, don't be discouraged! With those sets on ebay, are they full sets with one of each card or what?

I think I'll catch on pretty fast...hopefully. I might go with a friend who plays and just watch the first time, meet some people. And yeah there's pretty much one of each so I guess that would be considered a kitchen deck. Next time dikembe plays Orlando I'll challenge you, man haha.

I want to get the game to learn but I don't have a PC

I'm gonna dig out my MTG collection that I still have archived somewhere in this house. Would you guys be interested in buying them? I could make up a list of the cards, editions, conditions, and post them up...

I know I have a bunch of Star Wars cards too. Maybe some Rage cards as well. I got into Rage pretty good after MTG.

Would be interested to see what you have.

Bought some boosters (4) and pulled a Elspeth, Sun Champion / Pharika, God Of Affliction / Medomai The Ageless / Sylvan Caryatid.  Not bad, wish it was always that good

Well, that search didn't take as long as expected...

yKe9H5k.jpg

I forgot I had this much stuff. It's gonna take me a while to catalogue it all. I still love the super old official MTG box I have. I forget if it came with a set or whatever but it's gotta be at least 15 years old now anyway. Really handy to carry my decks and cards I might've switched to or whatever.

This is what I've catalogued so far. The editions are mixed but all are from first -> basically right around Ice Age or the 4th Edition reissue (I think that's what it was). I'll post the rest later.

I also did find 2 complete decks from when I used to play tournaments. One is a "Grindstone" deck that I used to win at least a couple decent size tournaments. I'll list those separately.

Here's the list:

MTG 1997 World Championships Seattle August 1997 Cards

Hammer of Bogarden (w/gold border)

Gold Cards

Essence Vortex

Rubina Soulsinger

Xira Arien

Johan

Sol'kanar the Swamp King

Lim-Dûl's Paladin (3)

Scalebane's Elite

Hazerider Drake

Artifacts

Grapeshot Catapult (2)

Millstone (2)

Marble Diamond (2)

Sky Diamond (3)

Fire Diamond (3)

Fountain of Youth (4)

Lotus Petal (8)

Puppet Strings (3)

Chimeric Sphere

Igneous Golem

Basalt Monolith

Clay Statue (2)

Urza's Bauble

Telim'Tor's Darts

Tablet of Epityr

Necropolis

Ivory Tower

Whirling Catapault

Terravus

Phyrexian Walker

Obelisk of Undoing

Barbed Sextant

Glasses of Urza

Amulet of Kroog

Red Mana Battery

Green Mana Battery

Ornithopter

Green Cards

Llanowar Elves (4)

Natural Balance (4)

Tranquil Domain (5)

Serene Heart (6)

Armor of Thorns (2)

Sandstorm (4)

Regeneration (4)

Tarpan (2)

Unayaro Bee Sting

Revelation

Ley Druid

Village Elder

Giant Mantis

Mrenda Lion

Granger Guildmage

Nature's Wrath

Winter Blast

Untamed Winds

Foxfire

Stream of Life

Radjan Spirit

Lifeforce

Shanodin Dryads

Chub Toad

Ironroot Treefolk

Nature's Lore

Venom

Crumble

Durkwood Boars

Jorael's Centaur

Lifeforce

Quirion Elves

Wanderlust

Wild Growth

Uktabi Faerie (3)

Sabretooth Cobra (3)

Fog (2)

Carapace (2)

Cat Warriors (2)

Pradesh Gypsies

Wall of Roots

Ghazban Ogre

Feral Thallid (2)

Fungusaur

Rebirth

Marsh Viper (3)

Seedling Charm (2)

Gibbering Hyenas (3)

• 2 months later...

First started playing during high school in the mid 90s, and have played on and off since then, although it has been quite some time since the last time I did.  If I did now, it would probably just be legacy with friends.  I hate the fact that you need to keep buying the new sets.  I am not into it enough to want to spend that amount of money.  In general, I think they screwed the casual player.

First started playing during high school in the mid 90s, and have played on and off since then, although it has been quite some time since the last time I did. If I did now, it would probably just be legacy with friends. I hate the fact that you need to keep buying the new sets. I am not into it enough to want to spend that amount of money. In general, I think they screwed the casual player.

The only thing the casual player can't really do because of the rotations is play in sanctioned tournaments - which seems like it goes against what a casual player would want to do. Not sure how that screws them.

I've been playing lots of modern lately though, really enjoying my combo elf deck and a red/white soul sisters build. Excited to hit the ptq season pretty hard before it goes back to limited season.

Well, I guess it depends on where you live and who is around to play. I live in a fairly rural area and there are only a handful of local shops and places to play. They all play sanctioned tournament rules 90% of the time. The few people around that I know play, all play at those places. So, to keep up, you have to keep buying into the new sets. I am not into it enough to do that, so I just moved on to other hobbies.

The only thing the casual player can't really do because of the rotations is play in sanctioned tournaments - which seems like it goes against what a casual player would want to do. Not sure how that screws them.

I've been playing lots of modern lately though, really enjoying my combo elf deck and a red/white soul sisters build. Excited to hit the ptq season pretty hard before it goes back to limited season.

I sold off all my cards somewhat recently when my EDH group fell apart, but I used to play a LOT of EDH and I had a pretty fun mono u faeries deck for modern. Glad I sold though, I don't play all that often any more and if I want to, I can always go play in a draft (my favorite competitive format anyway.)

Plus now I actually have money to pay for my new head gasket on my car. Woo.

I played soooo much when I was in secondary school...I think I started immediately after the "Ice Age" editions were released (~1995)...the last ones I've bought were "Exodus" (~1998), I guess...after that they released so many nonsense cards which made me lose my interest!

Still remember that in the beginning I liked both red & black cards...but with time I lerned to appreciate the power of blue/white decks! So strong and almost unbeatable!

I still had two huge folders with (partly) very expensive rare cards! Total of around 600 cards! My father sold both for 5 Deutsche Mark (~2.5€/~$3.50!!!) on the flea market...yay!

so while cleaning out my basement last week my wife found my old magic cards from the early/mid 90s.  how do I figure out what cards are from what series?  I honestly cant remember

Many of them have a "set symbol" down under the artwork before any text. If they don't have one, it's based off the border/edges of the cards/artwork.