I have never owned any record player before, but I've always wanted one. I've been reading up the last few days but, not being an audiophile in the slightest, I'm confused by all the terms.
After reading some reviews the Pro-Ject Essential II or Pro-Ject Debut III seems like a great entry level turntable. But what else would I need with this turntable?

I'm really confused about pre-amps, receivers, phono, etc. especially after researching it and reading up on it. So what exactly would I need to complete my first set up? 

Any help world be greatly appreciated, I was advised to visit this forum and it's my first post here.

PS: My budget is of $500!

This thread should answer all your questions.

http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/88504-dont-buy-a-crosley-ever-beginner’s-guide-to-hi–fi/page-21#entry1891905

But to simplify it, you will either need a preamp and powered speakers or an amp/receiver with a phono stage and regular speakers. If you don't have a receiver with a phono stage you will need an external phono preamp which will be connected to a line level input on your receiver. That thread posted above should answer any questions and explain how it all works. I'm not an expert audiophile but I have a good basic understanding of how this stuff works, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Ok, I'm going to buy the Pro-Ject Essential II for the turntable, and for the speakers I'm getting the Dayton Audio B652. Now, what is it that goes in the middle? An amp with a phono stage? If I buy a Yamaha A-S300 or a Yamaha A-S500BL

I'm good to go? I mean of course I need records like ajhall04 mentioned (hahaha) but, is that all?