PO: Cartel- Chroma via ETR ON SALE TODAY at 4:24pm Est

"typical band bullshit" only seems to happen to enjoy the ride. lol.

Either way, bands sign record deals, go into mass amounts of debt and then labels lose a shit load of money. So what if they re-issue something to get some of their money back? I don't get why people get so uppity about it. Either buy your rights to your album back from the label when you leave or don't complain.

Also, I've bought almost every bad timings release so far but coming in here and posting this shit in a thread is pretty unprofessional. You own a record label now and should keep that in mind now.

Thomas said nothing "unprofessional." Asking for a refund on an item that's not exactly official when you thought it was isn't unprofessional, nor is talking about it. 

Either way, bands sign record deals, go into mass amounts of debt and then labels lose a shit load of money. So what if they re-issue something to get some of their money back? I don't get why people get so uppity about it. Either buy your rights to your album back from the label when you leave or don't complain.

what band screwed you so bad?

Thomas said nothing "unprofessional." Asking for a refund on an item that's not exactly official when you thought it was isn't unprofessional, nor is talking about it.

It is because they're the same type of company and competition. I don't see how you could see it any other way. If you have to think, "well I could post this or I could keep it to myself because I own a record label too..." then it's probably a bad idea. I really hope this doesn't have to Thomas someday because it's sounds to me like Ross was under the impression this was a 100% go ahead.

Also, I've bought almost every bad timings release so far but coming in here and posting this shit in a thread is pretty unprofessional. You own a record label now and should keep that in mind now.

i didn't mean for it to come off unprofessional or any way other than that i'd rather buy it from the band. i would think that regardless of whether i had my own label or not. 

a bad timing release went through a situation similar to what i can imagine this one is. we had made lacquers and gotten art prepared for a release and then found out the band wanted to do it themselves. we ate about $700 and didn't do it. 

i didn't mean for it to come off unprofessional or any way other than that i'd rather buy it from the band. i would think that regardless of whether i had my own label or not.

a bad timing release went through a situation similar to what i can imagine this one is. we had made lacquers and gotten art prepared for a release and then found out the band wanted to do it themselves. we ate about $700 and didn't do it.

I'm not meaning to rag on you either it's just like when a band says something about another band. It's just comes off as unprofessional to me. If it doesn't need to be said then it shouldn't and unfortunately when you start a label you just have to be more weary of what you do in the public eye.

I'm sure had they said "we've decided to release this ourselves" then he wouldn't have done it but that doesn't sound like the case.

Hmmm... this will be interesting. ETR seems pretty upstanding since ive been buying from them.

Wonder what theyre response to this will be

I spoke to the band's guitarist and manager on the phone last year and got their blessing. We went back and fourth for awhile in regards to trying to working out a deal where we would sell them a tour variant at cost but they all of a sudden stopped answering and at that point we already had the audio remastered for vinyl and lacquers cut. I am still happy to work something out with the band for an anniversary tour variant if they every want to respond back to me but the process was too far along at that point and they expressed alot of interest in wanting the album released on vinyl.

I'm not meaning to rag on you either it's just like when a band says something about another band. It's just comes off as unprofessional to me. If it doesn't need to be said then it shouldn't and unfortunately when you start a label you just have to be more weary of what you do in the public eye.

I'm sure had they said "we've decided to release this ourselves" then he wouldn't have done it but that doesn't sound like the case.

that's a fair point – it can definitely be tricky because the licensor usually doesn't run these sort of things past the band (or anyone else who expressed interest in the license at hand). i didn't mean for it to sound like i was saying anything negative about the label but i see how it could have come across that way accidentally. my apologies to ross for that.

that's a fair point – it can definitely be tricky because the licensor usually doesn't run these sort of things past the band (or anyone else who expressed interest in the license at hand). i didn't mean for it to sound like i was saying anything negative about the label but i see how it could have come across that way accidentally. my apologies to ross for that.

All good man and I'm a fan of the bad timing as well so keep doing your thing!

It is because they're the same type of company and competition. I don't see how you could see it any other way. 

There's really nothing wrong with wanting a refund. It's not the same as saying this is a bad product. As a music lover, I'm sure Thomas wants to respect the Band's wishes on how their album is released. It's not about Ross' label at all...

"typical band bullshit" only seems to happen to enjoy the ride. lol. 

You mean that one other time it happened with RX Bandits. If you remember he didn't go through with the Third Eye Blind shit because he didn't have their blessing.

It sounds like he had their approval and then they blew him off (obviously just one side of the story). But this argument is always a weird one for me. Does the band need to give anyone permission to make more CDs? Isn't that why they sign to a label in the first place, so that the label can deal with the promotion, production, and licensing of the physical items.

This obviously is more of a moral grey area to some people than it is to me.

You mean that one other time it happened with RX Bandits. If you remember he didn't go through with the Third Eye Blind shit because he didn't have their blessing.

It sounds like he had their approval and then they blew him off (obviously just one side of the story). But this argument is always a weird one for me. Does the band need to give anyone permission to make more CDs? Isn't that why they sign to a label in the first place, so that the label can deal with the promotion and production of physical items.

This obviously is more of a moral grey area to some people than it is to me.

Legally he's doing everything 100% right. Reaching out the band is a courtesy and he did reach out.

From their twitter:

To clarify: it's totally legal/legit to license a record without band approval but we wanted to add so much to the first pressing so don't send hate or anything to the company. Just know that we have no idea what you're buying. If you want it, grab it. BUT just know that we are planning a release to coordinate with the 10th anniversary and it will be EPIC (pun both intended and not intended). Speaking of @EnjoytherideRES....think we could get personal copies of this...ya know - for the effort?