PO: Cartel- Chroma via ETR ON SALE TODAY at 4:24pm Est

I know for a fact that on a previous major label release from ETR he marked up the product OVER 100% in his store. I have no clue what his mark-up is here, but if previous efforts are any indication, he's making a lot.

Your right - you probably don't have the slightest idea what the mark up is.  HYPOTHETICALLY speaking if ETR is to net $5,000 dollars off of this release (my guess would be less) what do you think that breaks down by hour?  A project over a year in the works.. Also assuming this is a one or two man operations and they have homies helping pack / ship / etc.  Wouldn't call this a money grab or even close to it.  Done arguing with you about this, like I mentioned before you don't have a clue. 

Default VC position: defend the guy who licenses what is in demand, shit on band that's bummed about their record being released because they didn't take the time to communicate with their label/manager/Ross, but still want a copy of the release for free. Fill shelves with albums that still hold up today.

FTFY

Some people don't seem to understand that a record label is mostly an investment firm that has an interest in music.  At the end of the day, Cartel was paid by Epic for the rights to Chroma, and it is now in Epic's hands to gain a profit on their investment (ie, licensing it to a third party).  This is called business.  Neither Epic nor a contracted third party need the band's permission as it was already granted in the initial contract.  For the band to badmouth the pressing of an album that they sold the rights to is complete nonsense, unprofessional, and in bad taste.  If they wanted to protect their art and release it the way they see fit, they shouldn't have signed a contract with a major label.

LOL at everything and everyone, ever. The self-righteousness associated with this medium specifically is astounding, and the common idea that all bands are saints (yea man you are so creative and your lyrics changed my junior year of high school bro!) and all labels are evil is hilarious. 

Ross, you're in a tough position because you cater to an audience that buys into this silly false sense of morality. 

Go blame Sony/Epic for not caring enough to fill in Cartel if you're such noble soldiers. Go blame Cartel for signing a contract giving up control of their masters if this is so unfair. Or don't buy Ross's record. But this laughable notion that anything was done in poor taste (fuck legality, which is not an issue) is just a goofy sentiment. Ross went out of his way to make them aware and to me that's more than most do. 

And guess what? Licensing a record is NOT HARD. Look how many "labels" there are doing it. They had, I don't know, TEN YEARS? to secure the rights to do their own version. 

This is why I only buy records from soul singers that died 50 years ago at this point. 

...and the Paranorman score. 

Some people don't seem to understand that a record label is mostly an investment firm that has an interest in music.  At the end of the day, Cartel was paid by Epic for the rights to Chroma, and it is now in Epic's hands to gain a profit on their investment (ie, licensing it to a third party).  This is called business.  Neither Epic nor a contracted third party need the band's permission as it was already granted in the initial contract.  For the band to badmouth the pressing of an album that they sold the rights to is complete nonsense, unprofessional, and in bad taste.  If they wanted to protect their art and release it the way they see fit, they shouldn't have signed a contract with a major label.

Very well said. They're just coming off like cry babies and jerks... and no one likes a jerk.