PO: Cartel- Chroma via ETR ON SALE TODAY at 4:24pm Est

Where has Brand New said anything about anything? I hate to talk about Brand New anymore but that band demands to be heavily involved with the aesthetics of everything they have to put their name on. That's why the AFS press kept getting delayed and why Déjà hasn't been rereleased yet. While I'm making an assumption, I'm sure the band was not happy about that release for obvious reasons.

And to answer your second question, I honestly don't care. Cool.

It seems this vs. the MOV Brand New seem to be pretty different areas, then.

So you're picking a fight, just because? I don't think I understand.

And honestly, if you know me, I think I am pretty level-headed most of the time.

This issue comes up pretty often. Years ago, when ETR released RXB most of this community was really upset by what Ross was doing. Now the tide seems to have shifted and I'd like to know why.

I love talking about this sort of thing, but really wanna keep it on topic. If you have a problem with me personally, or you want to buy a record from me because you don't agree with whats on my shelf, shoot me a PM.

This issue comes up pretty often. Years ago, when ETR released RXB most of this community was really upset by what Ross was doing. Now the tide seems to have shifted and I'd like to know why.

That was a totally different situation. Ross was new to everyone at the time, was completely unproven as a record label owner and had no track record. He fucked up, and I think he'll willingly admit that. He's since put out dozens of records with all sorts of bands, active and broken up, big and small, and it's clear he's gotten better at what he does, because people continue to work with him and promote the product he creates.

Would I reissue something on vinyl without telling the band? No. But clearly, that's not what Ross did here. And the only reason people care is because it's 1)an active band and 2)someone who's easily reachable—aka not Music On Vinyl, 4 Men With Beards, Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs, etc. All of those companies buy the rights to releases all the time and reissue them with all sorts of bells and whistles, likely without the artist's involvement. Do you think those limited colored pressings Newbury Comics are doing are signed off on by the artist 100% of the time? Doubtful.

It's an artist's job to create art however they deem appropriate. It's a record company's job to sell that art however they deem appropriate. As someone who has nearly 15 years in "the industry," let me tell you that band members are typically the most out-of-the-loop people when it comes to their own careers, which is why they react emotionally and publicly to things like this instead of trying to politely and professionally get to the bottom of it behind the scenes. Such is the creative mind, I suppose.

I like Cartel. I like this record. I like Ross. I bought a copy, which puts money in Ross' pockets, who already put money into Cartel's pockets, because the licensing fee he paid to Epic most likely included royalties. There is no loser in this situation, except people who want to pretend they understand how the music industry works but have literally less than 1% of a clue.

You know what's great? As an architect, in your contract, the drawings you create belong to you. They are simply used by an owner/contractor to make a building. I know that's not how the music industry works (typically), but it sure would be nice. Maybe one day things will change for the better (if they aren't already).

You know what's great? As an architect, in your contract, the drawings you create belong to you. They are simply used by an owner/contractor to make a building. I know that's not how the music industry works (typically), but it sure would be nice. Maybe one day things will change for the better (if they aren't already).

if you're in a band, don't sign something that takes away your right to the music you create?

Technically they would belong to the firm, no?

How exactly would that be for the better?  Bands typically sign to a label because they don't have the significant funds or means to put out a quality record, market their album, receive radio / film / tv placements, tour support, etc.  Should a label not be paid for their financial investment, risk, and work involved to develop an artist's career?

Technically they would belong to the firm, no?

Not typically. Standard Owner/Architect agreement (unless modified) puts the ownership in the architect's hands.

How exactly would that be for the better?  Bands typically sign to a label because they don't have the significant funds or means to put out a quality record, market their album, receive radio / film / tv placements, tour support, etc.  Should a label not be paid for their financial investment, risk, and work involved to develop an artist's career?

I think a label should be paid. I just wish rights to music remained with the creators of said music.