PO: Cartel- Chroma via ETR ON SALE TODAY at 4:24pm Est

Joe when you did Ransom did you have any contact issues or any contact with the band? I'm just curious... I'm pretty sure I don't remember the band promoting your pressing either.

It's sort of apples and oranges. I didn't license from a major label, which means I had a lot less pressure to deliver from a financial standpoint. Plus I don't do this for a living, and will likely not press another record ever again anyway. 

I had constant contact with Rory from The Militia Group (who I worked with on the Rufio record), Cartel's manager Rohan, and got a message from Will that I included on the insert. I never spoke to Will or anyone in the band directly. Now I'm wondering if those were even his words. 

I suspect Ross did the same thing I did, trusted their manager, and went about his business trying to be able to feed, shelter, and clothe himself by making money, and the band and/or their manager didn't communicate to each other all of the details. I'm not blaming them either, because they are human beings. I totally understand being bitter if they wanted to do their own version, but it seems more like a snooze ya lose situation. 

Holy crap. I ordered this yesterday and came back to read this thread today and I ran out of upvotes in about 2 minutes. Kudos Ross for being a stand up guy 100% of the time. I've bought/traded/sold etc etc to Ross many times and the guy is nothing but nice and solely doing this for the fans and the music. Everyone that is cancelling their orders are just silly. Like it was mentioned earlier, I guarantee the same people that cancelled their orders with Ross bought that Brand New repress from MOV and didn't even think twice about it. I just read the some what of an "apology" letter from Will on absolutesuck and it sounds like the line of communication was a little twisted. Ross was aware that everything was cool and legit and got things going on his part and then all of a sudden communication stopped. If I was building a new home and the contractor stopped talking to me all of a sudden, I wouldn't just stop building my home. Also mentioned above, this is the music BUSINESS. I hate that people come to the aid of bands, blindly most of the time, and side with them just because they make "good music." The band signed a contract and that allows others to acquire the rights to put out their music. If it was that important to them why didn't they keep communicating? Why didn't they have the "EPIC" product out sooner? Why does the world turn? I'm almost willing to bet that Cartel's "EPIC" version will be a standard jacket with an insert and solid color record with an extra track or two. ETR all day baby.

The only reason that makes sense to me that the band would be upset is because the more copies that ETR sells now, the less they'll likely sell when they do their own *special, epic* version. Sucks that they made it out to be something that it isn't on social media. 

This.  It comes down to money.  Cartel's feelings are hurt that someone beat them to an opportunity to make a little bit of money, and now they are being bullies / children about it on social media.

LOL at everything and everyone, ever. The self-righteousness associated with this medium specifically is astounding, and the common idea that all bands are saints (yea man you are so creative and your lyrics changed my junior year of high school bro!) and all labels are evil is hilarious. 

Ross, you're in a tough position because you cater to an audience that buys into this silly false sense of morality. 

Go blame Sony/Epic for not caring enough to fill in Cartel if you're such noble soldiers. Go blame Cartel for signing a contract giving up control of their masters if this is so unfair. Or don't buy Ross's record. But this laughable notion that anything was done in poor taste (fuck legality, which is not an issue) is just a goofy sentiment. Ross went out of his way to make them aware and to me that's more than most do. 

And guess what? Licensing a record is NOT HARD. Look how many "labels" there are doing it. They had, I don't know, TEN YEARS? to secure the rights to do their own version. 

This is why I only buy records from soul singers that died 50 years ago at this point. 

...and the Paranorman score. 

Joe ftw

It's sort of apples and oranges. I didn't license from a major label, which means I had a lot less pressure to deliver from a financial standpoint. Plus I don't do this for a living, and will likely not press another record ever again anyway. 

I had constant contact with Rory from The Militia Group (who I worked with on the Rufio record), Cartel's manager Rohan, and got a message from Will that I included on the insert. I never spoke to Will or anyone in the band directly. Now I'm wondering if those were even his words. 

I suspect Ross did the same thing I did, trusted their manager, and went about his business trying to be able to feed, shelter, and clothe himself by making money, and the band and/or their manager didn't communicate to each other all of the details. I'm not blaming them either, because they are human beings. I totally understand being bitter if they wanted to do their own version, but it seems more like a snooze ya lose situation. 

Wasn't Rohan a staffer at AP.net for a while?  Even more reason for Tate to blindly support the band on this

RbddKXD.jpg

If you and someone agree to a date, and you show up to the movie theater to meet them, but they don't show up and you try to call them a few times and they don't answer because they want to see the movie some other time, but don't tell you, so you go and see the movie yourself, then that someone blasts you on twitter for seeing that movie before them instead of calling you back....

:lol:

i read the band's non-twitter statement and while their initial reaction may have been an over-reaction, that statement sounds fairly level headed.

i don't really care, though, as i don't care for the band, didn't buy the record, and have no horse in this race.

BRING ON THE LULZ, GUYS.

shower-cat.gif

Dude Ross, you should totally just finish going through with "Cartel" and "Cycles" If you have the permission from the label that owns the rights, but not from the band, just keep moving forward with it and make it happen. Screw them for throwing you under the bus so hard, remind them of the business side of things...(and consequently get me copies of those albums on vinyl! haha) But seriously, you should.

Yeesh. Didn't realize how many wannabe Gordon Gekko types frequented this board.

Clearly if a band takes issue with someone they don't know putting out their music it's because they want to make money (whereas a guy who puts out a disparate range of nostalgia-rooted releases is just doing it for the love, man). Clearly if you establish communication with a band about putting out their album and they stop responding, you should go ahead anyway provided you really want to do it and it's something a lot of people want. Clearly it's stupid to side with a band vs. the reissue label just because the band made the music that you apparently neeeed on vinyl. I mean, the ETR version is on splatter, it's scary to think what boring color the band would've picked themselves. This should be in the hands of professionals.

I know nothing about Cartel other than the fact that Dr. Pepper paid to put them in a bubble, but it's disheartening to see people buy into the "it's a music BUSINESS" mindset just so it guarantees them big versions of their CD collection. There are thousands of bands, labels, communities, etc. that have built their art & livelihood on personal connections and do just fine without the corporate mindset of "cover your legal bases and after that, it's on them for being tooooo slowwww".

And of course Ross is a good dude backed hard to his customers. You don't get a medal for being nice to the people who give you money. It really has no bearing on this scenario.

okay Ross spill it, which band is Jason talking about:

http://absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?p=132069884#post132069884

I saw you arguing with him on AP.net.  I am rooting for you.  All he does is talk in circles wrapped in the words "Really?" and "Are you serious right now?"  Dude sure knows how to manipulate the Internet speak to make people sound like idiots.

& I feel the need to reiterate:

Jason really is an a-hole. 

Why is everyone making a big deal out of this when no one gave a fuck when MOV pressed Devil and God the same way. Same thing with these Mars Volta represses. A pressing is a pressing and if the rights are bought legally, it doesn't matter who's involved. Own your rights if you want to avoid it. It's their own fault.