PO: Cartel- Chroma via ETR ON SALE TODAY at 4:24pm Est

Clearly if you establish communication with a band about putting out their album and they stop responding, you should go ahead anyway provided you really want to do it and it's something a lot of people want. Clearly it's stupid to side with a band vs. the reissue label just because the band made the music that you apparently neeeed on vinyl. I mean, the ETR version is on splatter, it's scary to think what boring color the band would've picked themselves. This should be in the hands of professionals.

You clearly haven't read anything Ross has said about the situation. He obviously acquired the license and the band or manager (whatever) was cool with this and everything was a go so he started the process. That process obvioulsy required him to use his own money to pay for the costs of what he was doing. Then the band stopped responding to him. He was already invested in the release. This wasn't a "Hey guys I would love to press this on vinyl and whether or not you like it or not, I'm going to press it either way!" He reached out to them and they were on board, money was invested, and communication halted. Unless the band wanted to reimburse him his money and time then Ross has every reason to continue on with the release. Some people are acting as if he just reached out to the band to "let the know." He reached out to them in order to do the right thing. If they would've said no from the get go I'm sure this wouldn't be happening.

What's your point? You think both MOV and ETR are justified in what they do? They're both wrong? Or you're just trying to keep me accountable? 

I think the point is that you got a refund from Ross because you're not comfortable with how the band feels about it. What's the difference with TDAG MOV repress? Why didn't you cancel that too since it's technically the same thing?

Edit: Somone beat me to it

I posted this on ap but I will copy it here:

I have reissued two album on vinyl. Both times I got band approval before I ever even started talking to the label about rights. I am sure Ross does the same with his releases. During the process from licensing to release a lot of time passes. For Socratic I went months without talking to them and Day at the fair I had the license for almost two years before release. If the records were done and hadn't heard from the bands I still would have released them. You talking over 10,000 wrapped up in just these two products. You won't be open long if you take a loss like that.

Houston Calls on the other hand told me, when I first asked them, they wanted to do it themselves at some point. That was fine I went no further than that. I know Ross has done that as well (NFG). The point is if I got the ok from the band or the bands manager in this case, and went through the process of licensing the album. I would have released it even if the band stopped communicating. I do not have 10,000 to just through away. Until you own a label and have that much money wrapped up in a release I don't think you can say you would have pulled the release.

I think his point is that if you own the Brand New repress and asked for a refund on Cartel your contradicting yourself

I think the point is that you got a refund from Ross because you're not comfortable with how the band feels about it. What's the difference with TDAG MOV repress? Why didn't you cancel that too since it's technically the same thing?

Edit: Somone beat me to it

I feel like this is an exercise in missing the point. But I'll play, because why not?

Where did Brand New say they were not for the MOV pressing? Where did Brand New say they planned on releasing TDAG sometime down the line? 

But back to the point. Are you guys okay with labels pressing bands records to vinyl without their okay? Especially when the records haven't even been pressed yet? Even in this situation - where he talked to a manager and a bass player (?), but not the guy who wrote the songs and seems to have the most creative input? If the answer is yes, then we just disagree. That's cool. 

I feel like this is an exercise in missing the point. But I'll play, because why not?

Where did Brand New say they were not for the MOV pressing? Where did Brand New say they planned on releasing TDAG sometime down the line? 

But back to the point. Are you guys okay with labels pressing bands records to vinyl without their okay? Especially when the records haven't even been pressed yet? Even in this situation - where he talked to a manager and a bass player (?), but not the guy who wrote the songs and seems to have the most creative input? If the answer is yes, then we just disagree. That's cool. 

If you go back and read through that post someone had gotten a quote I believe from one of the band members stating that they were unhappy with the MOV press and that they had no prior knowledge of it....

I have zero problem with it at all.  When you sign to a label and record an album for said label you don't own your music. I have zero problem with it... I mean should I have not bought the Beatles reissues last year cause half the band is dead?

Id rather buy an album from a label that I know does awesome work then take a chance with a band... the machina repress that the pumpkins did that billy was heavily invovled with sounds like ass.. I've never gotten a product from ETR that sounds anything less then amazing.

I work as a videographer. when I shoot for studios they use the work that they paid me to shoot all over the internet to promote their brand.. does it make me mad? no, because I signed a contract and was paid for my services... it's the same concept.

Where has Brand New said anything about anything? I hate to talk about Brand New anymore but that band demands to be heavily involved with the aesthetics of everything they have to put their name on. That's why the AFS press kept getting delayed and why Déjà hasn't been rereleased yet. While I'm making an assumption, I'm sure the band was not happy about that release for obvious reasons.

And to answer your second question, I honestly don't care. Cool.

I have zero problem with it at all.  When you sign to a label and record an album for said label you don't own your music. I have zero problem with it... I mean should I have not bought the Beatles reissues last year cause half the band is dead?

That's cool. We just disagree. I think morally right vs. legally right are two different things.