Lana Del Rey - Ultraviolence 6-16-14

I have to admit something. I never understood the hype and big deal over Lana Del Rey, especially after listening to Born To Die. I found it somewhat formulaic and mediocre. As that style and approach to music had already been done and there was nothing new. At least not for me. It felt like she was a more lazy version of Fiona Apple or Mazzy Star.

But last night I listened to Ultraviolence and I gotta say that I didn't hate it. Maybe it's because lately I've been delving more and more into female-fronted indie and dream pop music and bands, that I was able to get a better appreciation for LDR. At least with her newest album.

Just figured I'd share my opinion(s) in a somewhat n00b-like post.

Carry on.

I have to admit something. I never understood the hype and big deal over Lana Del Rey, especially after listening to Born To Die. I found it somewhat formulaic and mediocre. As that style and approach to music had already been done and there was nothing new. At least not for me. It felt like she was a more lazy version of Fiona Apple or Mazzy Star.

But last night I listened to Ultraviolence and I gotta say that I didn't hate it. Maybe it's because lately I've been delving more and more into female-fronted indie and dream pop music and bands, that I was able to get a better appreciation for LDR. At least with her newest album.

Carry on.

Totally agree, I've never really been a fan and didn't understand all the hype she has. I listened to ultraviolence and was ok with it- even liked it, I may pick up the UO release.

Carry on.

Yes but Tumblr nation those kids needed a hero and she was it for them haha

Well yesterday turned into a cluster. I called my local UO and they said they had the Ultraviolence on Vinyl, so I asked them to put two copies on hold. I drove up there to get it, to find out that oh, we don't really have it and we won't be carrying it..so I just ended up ordering it online today.

Just saw the UO copy in store. Not even gatefold. Why is this shit $35?

Damn. I called all the stores within an hour of me and they all don't have it. Hopefully they get some next week and aren't just sold out. One store said they had it but don't have anymore. I don't know if I believe them.

I called the 4 Urbans around me because they all told me last week "we'll be getting Lana on monday"

Every single one had a rude person pick up the phone and be like "Yeah, we don't know when we're getting it. I can't give you any more info." or some variant of it.

Droppin the fuckin ball UO.

That's a shame to hear. My local store told me to check back this Monday, which I did. I called and they told me they'd get it on Wednesday, and offered to put me on a list of people who want one held for them. Apparently this is quite the desired item. But I appreciated the store's kindness...