Joyce Manor | Never Hungover Again | 07/22/14

I hate stage diving. There's a kid here who my friends and i call "pop-punk kid," who stage dives every fucking song feet first with these boots with like metal on them. He hit my friend once and my friend grabbed him and punched him hard in the face. it was amazing. I hate seeing him at shows haha. 

I don't mind stage diving, but there's a similar kid where I'm from who goes to all the shows at El Corazon and fucks around to gain more punkrock points. I watched this fucking poseur get his face smashed into a big pole in the pit by some guy who'd just had enough of his shit, it was glorious. 

I don't mind stage diving, but there's a similar kid where I'm from who goes to all the shows at El Corazon and fucks around to gain more punkrock points. I watched this fucking poseur get his face smashed into a big pole in the pit by some guy who'd just had enough of his shit, it was glorious. 

I wonder who both you and this kid are

Honestly though, this type of kid is so prevalent now at shows and etc. I know exactly what he means when he says "a straight edge piece of shit" kid and those kids fucking suck. They just do it for the attention and to brag. They're also the kids who give my girlfriend shit for going to hardcore shows even though she's 5'1". 

Honestly though, this type of kid is so prevalent now at shows and etc. I know exactly what he means when he says "a straight edge piece of shit" kid and those kids fucking suck. They just do it for the attention and to brag. They're also the kids who give my girlfriend shit for going to hardcore shows even though she's 5'1". 

This is what I mean about the straight edge thing, be straight edge all you want, there's no need to fucking label yourself and wear it on your sleeve (literally tattooed on you) there's plenty of people who don't do drugs or drink but you don't have to label them as straight edge. It's a personal life choice, and that's what it should stay as, not some kind of weird aesthetic where you get giant X's tattooed on you. Most of the sXe kids I know are real douchey about it, they're like the vegans who have to be annoying and make sure you know that they're vegan. It's all very pretentious to me. 

I wonder who both you and this kid are

I don't go to El Corazon nearly as often as I should - last time I was there was for "Black Flag" in June last year. This fucking kid, though, all I ever hear about him is how fucking punk he is, how he goes to all the shows and stagedives and does "punk rock shit," and I saw that first hand watching Black Flag. I ran into him at McDonald's once, he was wearing a Suicidal Tendencies patch, and I'm just making fuckin small talk in line, asking him what his favorite Suicidal Tendencies song is, and he goes, "Uh, well.. I mean I really like all of them, you know?"

I bet he's secretly Jetboy. 

I don't go to El Corazon nearly as often as I should - last time I was there was for "Black Flag" in June last year. This fucking kid, though, all I ever hear about him is how fucking punk he is, how he goes to all the shows and stagedives and does "punk rock shit," and I saw that first hand watching Black Flag. I ran into him at McDonald's once, he was wearing a Suicidal Tendencies patch, and I'm just making fuckin small talk in line, asking him what his favorite Suicidal Tendencies song is, and he goes, "Uh, well.. I mean I really like all of them, you know?"

I bet he's secretly Jetboy. 

well I live up the street from el co, punks not really my thing but I also dont go around wearing punk merch haha

stage diving is awesome but kids need to learn how to do it right. facing the stage and headfirst backwards into the crowd. no one gets hurt and you get to crowd surf everyones happy.

also if these guys keep stopping every show because of stage divers this band wont last much longer.

This is what I mean about the straight edge thing, be straight edge all you want, there's no need to fucking label yourself and wear it on your sleeve (literally tattooed on you) there's plenty of people who don't do drugs or drink but you don't have to label them as straight edge. It's a personal life choice, and that's what it should stay as, not some kind of weird aesthetic where you get giant X's tattooed on you. Most of the sXe kids I know are real douchey about it, they're like the vegans who have to be annoying and make sure you know that they're vegan. It's all very pretentious to me. 

It definitely comes off as pretentious, I completely agree. I don't care if someone has XVX or XXX or sXe or what have you tattooed on your skin or pinned on the back of your edgy acid wash denim vest, but I do care that some people can't be humble about their choices. It's unfortunate that the people we know are vegan or straightedge tend to be the ones that ruin it for everyone else.

Barry had absolutely no right to discriminate on that guy (regardless of his intention) in the way he did. If I was a Joyce Manor fan, I likely would have left the venue and said fuck those guys. They are polarizing the scene.

Not sure if anyone posted this, but here's a statement from Barry:

"I wasn’t able to watch people being hurt so I asked people not to act in the way that was hurting people. If that means you don’t support the band, I respect that. If you don’t want to attend the shows, we respect that. If you’ve bought a ticket to the show and want your money back because you want that to be your experience, we will refund you.

I don’t have an issue with anyone’s lifestyle. I apologize to losing my cool in Houston. I saw someone whose full intention was to harm people and was upset.

I look forward to playing music in a safe environment for everyone from here on out."

I love everyone who's posting on Joyce Manor's wall and telling them to suck dicks and calling them pussies and bitches and not true punk. Then out of curiosity I click on their profiles and they're all hardcore fat neckbeards with giant plugs and bad tattoos