Riot Fest 2015

Tardcore

I saw on WGN (chicago) much of the bickering about the fest occurring near a hospital and they said it was a heavy metal fest and only showed bands like GWAR and savage-punk bands, as i thought to myself, 'this is not how the public should see this fest' considering all the bands that are nothing like that on the bill. News is news

I assumed that people were uncomfortable with "riot" fest given what was going on in Baltimore around the time that support was pulled at the Humbolt park location.  Pretty standard behavior really.  

Fun Fact:  There was a strong push to rename the second Lord of the Rings movie "The Two Towers" after 9/11.

I went on Friday. My biggest complaint was the lack of lights. After the sun went down you couldn't see anything. Everyone was walking into each other. And the stage layouts kinda sucked. They put VIP tents directly in front of the stages. So unless you got to where you wanted to go early, you had to either stand far away enough to see the stage or stand off to the side of the tents. That was only a problem for the Friday night headliners, especially No Doubt. When Faith No More ended, everyone tried to cram into the Riot Stage area and it got ugly.

I managed to have great spots most of the weekend by staying by the middle divider of the main stages. I would be in the crowd for one act then turn around and be right on the other side of the divider. Doing this back and forth I didn't have to travel much and could always hear and see well.

Things announced at Riot Fest this past weekend:

- Andrew McMahon is coming back to Chicago in November for a charity event and to also celebrate Everything In Transit @ House of Blues

- The Academy Is... Almost Here is getting repressed along with a full anniversary tour

The movielife are planning more club shows for 2016. Also they played really well and the songs hold up.

Have mercy is going on tour with transit and somos. They are putting out a single very soon and recording a full length in March.

Knuckle puck is going on tour with seaway and sorority noise.

Beach slang has a new album recorded that is coming out soon.

Awesome photos! Anthrax did indeed bring the house down on Friday night. Luckily I was just in front of the pit, which got pretty big. I saw a few people walking around with nice cameras. Were you talking only band photos or were you taking some atmosphere photos as well?

Just band photos. I stopped trying to take photos of the rest of the fest during the first outdoor one when I realized I never had the time as I was always travelling from stage to stage to shoot other bands. 

Fun fact: I am the only photographer who has shot all 11 Chicago Riot Fests. 

• 7 months later...