United Nations (2014) (New LP on Temporary Residence LTD)

Actually, I don't understand the whole cassette revival thing at all.

Not that this has ever been a convenient, audiophile or durable Format or subject to any artistic packaging or anything...

Amen.  I never thought once in my life that I wanted to go back to cassettes.  I remember as a kid saving up to get a CD player so i can be free of those damn things.

whats the story behind "F#A#$" i remember someone mentioning it has something to do with GS!YBE, but don't recall why they would make mention of that as a title, let alone put it on the shirt

Maybe the song pays homage to the styles of F#A# Infinity, in some way or another?  Or maybe just because United Nations.

Either way, I know Geoff is a pretty big fan of GY!BE.

I meant the pieces specific to turntable playback. I don't care that cassette is part of it or not as it will more than likely just be the whole tracklist split between the two sides.

I believe they said in the podcast that the cassette was a part of the track list., but I hear you.

I believe they said in the podcast that the cassette was a part of the track list., but I hear you.

Yeah, the entire release is spread across the 10", the two 7"s, and the cassette.  That is to say you need all 3 to hear all the songs.  I don't have a means of playing a cassette, myself, so I share the same sentiments with a lot of you in this thread.  But since this release is just a collection of fragmented releases over the past few years, I don't think the "split" formatting is going to flaw it that much.  I really can't imagine it flowing seamlessly from start to finish.  But they did say that if the demand is there, they'd consider pressing it onto a single 12"... which would be for the sake of convenience more than anything else.

wait a moment

you mean, you need all three (= one 10" and two 7") to listen to all tracks? (i.e. the tape contains the same 11 tracks...)

or do you mean, you need all three formats (10", 7" and tape) to listen to all the songs? (i.e. tape tracks are not included on the records)

I guess, I'm in for the 12" then...

wait a moment

you mean, you need all three (= one 10" and two 7") to listen to all tracks? (i.e. the tape contains the same 11 tracks...)

or do you mean, you need all three formats (10", 7" and tape) to listen to all the songs? (i.e. tape tracks are not included on the records)

I guess, I'm in for the 12" then...

The tape has songs on it that are not on the vinyl. Thus, you need both 7"s, the 10", and the tape to have the complete record. 

7" #1

1. Serious Business 
2. Meanwhile On Main Street 

10"

3. Revolutions At Varying Speeds 
4. False Flags 
5. United Nations Find God 
6. Between Two Mirrors 

Tape

7. Fuck The Future 
8. Stole The Past 
9. United Nations Vs. United Nations 

7" #2

10. F#A#$ 
11. Music For Changing Parties

This is my guess for the breakdown.  The tape was already released as a tour only release, so I'm pretty positive of it's track list.  The first 6 tracks could easily be the 10" and then a 7", but I just think it makes sense to bookend the release with the 7"s.

The tape has songs on it that are not on the vinyl. Thus, you need both 7"s, the 10", and the tape to have the complete record. 

Great well guess I'm going to have to pull this thing out of my parent's basement:

mr7iUvcYm28xHVDRECW4j8Q.jpg

Because that was the last time I've ever played a cassette.

From 3 pages ago....

Ok, I listened to the podcast this morning and going off of info we've had for a few years I'm pretty sure this is how the release works. 

Its called The Next Four Years and will be available digitally(and I assume a download code will be included with the box set), CD, box set, and depending on demand a single LP. 

The box set is the album broken up into 2 7" and a repress of the cassette they sold on tour about a year ago. The 10" is what was supposed to be and possibly still is "Music for Interchanging Parts". One song broken up into many parts that can be played in any order and still make a coherent song. The 10" has forked grooves so wherever the needle lands is the version of the song you get to listen to. 

As part of the UN "gag" Geoff and others have said recently that UN released a bunch of music in other countries since they were "banned" form selling them in the US. I believe the "gimmick" of the box set is that this is all the unauthorized material bundled into one box. 

The box set is the album broken up into 2 7" and a repress of the cassette they sold on tour about a year ago. The 10" is what was supposed to be and possibly still is "Music for Interchanging Parts". One song broken up into many parts that can be played in any order and still make a coherent song. The 10" has forked grooves so wherever the needle lands is the version of the song you get to listen to. 

Yup.  These are correct.

7" #1

1. Serious Business 

2. Meanwhile On Main Street 

10"

3. Revolutions At Varying Speeds 

4. False Flags 

5. United Nations Find God 

6. Between Two Mirrors 

Tape

7. Fuck The Future 

8. Stole The Past 

9. United Nations Vs. United Nations 

7" #2

10. F#A#$ 

11. Music For Changing Parties

This is my guess for the breakdown.  The tape was already released as a tour only release, so I'm pretty positive of it's track list.  The first 6 tracks could easily be the 10" and then a 7", but I just think it makes sense to bookend the release with the 7"s.

I think that's a fair guess.

Honestly, it's a quirky release format.  I think the tape will more or less be for novelty or collectability.  It's not going to sound nearly as good (nor will it be nearly as easy to play) as the MP3s that TRL will be mailing out.  If I dig the release enough, and they do indeed press a 12" [which is not confirmed at this point], I'll probably pick it up for convenience, somewhere down the road.  As is, I still think this package will be incredibly cool to own for any UN junkie... even if one of the four releases will be a pain in the ass to play.