United Nations (2014) (New LP on Temporary Residence LTD)

i feel like some of you are trying to read into the Godspeed thing too much. UN has been referring to bands lyrics/art etc for awhile now generally with a  currency/popularity reference as well.

I really doubt geoff cares that much about Godspeed playing corporate venues or whatever maybe just found it peculiar, possibly in the same way it think it's funny blink 182 is like 40 theyre married and have kids and still play songs about girls in highschool still.. Daitro wouldn't tour with thursday because they had a booking agent or something like that.

i feel like some of you are trying to read into the Godspeed thing too much. UN has been referring to bands lyrics/art etc for awhile now generally with a  currency/popularity reference as well.

I really doubt geoff cares that much about Godspeed playing corporate venues or whatever maybe just found it peculiar, possibly in the same way it think it's funny blink 182 is like 40 theyre married and have kids and still play songs about girls in highschool still.. Daitro wouldn't tour with thursday because they had a booking agent or something like that.

i agree. def reading too much into it.

"This record is more developed and mature because we decided that the best form of critique isn’t political or punk critique; it’s critiquing ourselves. So the record is a lot more personal—a lists of all the ways we’ve failed all the things we once believed in, and accepting the status quo of how band things have gotten. It’s sort of examining our own level of privilege. The box set is supposed to be a fake mythology of the band. The cassette is the first demo—the band at its most basic—then there’s the two 7-inches, and the 10-inch is where we get into our pretentious phase of trying to sound like Godspeed [You! Black Emperor]… Depending on the groove you land on, it has two different endings. It’s like a fork in the road, and the needle ends up in one or the other."

That qoute was taken from his other interview he did the other week.Has even more information than the pitchfork interview

Here's the rest of it(pretty lengthy but really interesting)

http://www.self-titl...band-and-label/

Let’s talk about the evolution of United Nations. It started as more of a satirical project and seems to have evolved into something more serious. What does it mean to you at this moment in time?
The first idea was to be a Gravity Records kind of band, like, ‘We should just sound like Orchid or Reversal of Man, and that’s it.’ And once we started working on it the first time, I was talking to James Cauty from the KLF… He did the art for the first record and was like, ‘You know, this is going to get banned, and you’re going to get sued, so if anybody asks, I’m going to say you stole the images from me.’ I was like, ‘Well that’s pretty punk. I like that.’

We were also talking about reading The Illuminatus! Trilogy as kids. It’s kinda a satire of politics, conspiracy theories, and how ridiculous the whole thing is. So we talked about putting out the most political record that actually has no message. Like none; it’s just folding in on itself, a joke of a joke of a joke. That’s what the first record was. And when we got to Never Mind the Bombings…, we wrote four songs we were actually really proud of, and got another great artist, Ben Frost, to do the cover. It was still satirical, but it was also a little more serious and trying to say a few things, trying to criticize punk culture for being as capitalistic as everything it pretends to be against. It’s just as much about ‘coming to buy our T-shirts’ as anything else.

This record is more developed and mature because we decided that the best form of critique isn’t political or punk critique; it’s critiquing ourselves. So the record is a lot more personal—a lists of all the ways we’ve failed all the things we once believed in, and accepting the status quo of how band things have gotten. It’s sort of examining our own level of privilege. The box set is supposed to be a fake mythology of the band. The cassette is the first demo—the band at its most basic—then there’s the two 7-inches, and the 10-inch is where we get into our pretentious phase of trying to sound like Godspeed [You! Black Emperor]… Depending on the groove you land on, it has two different endings. It’s like a fork in the road, and the needle ends up in one or the other.

Who cares who likes who? If Geoff doesn't like Godspeed will the songs start to sound different to you?

Nope. I actually enjoy both bands, though I do favor Godspeed these days. I only went into the depth of that discussion because the track and related questions were brought up.

And "reading too far into it"? – Geoff wrote an article (review) of that Godspeed / NIN show, and tied it together with his personal opinion of the band. I did indeed take the time to read that writeup. I'm just telling you guys what I read, straight from the horse's mouth. I'm only reading into it as much as Geoff is writing into it.

Nope. I actually enjoy both bands, though I do favor Godspeed these days. I only went into the depth of that discussion because the track and related questions were brought up.

And "reading too far into it"? – Geoff wrote an article (review) of that Godspeed / NIN show, and tied it together with his personal opinion of the band. I did indeed take the time to read that writeup. I'm just telling you guys what I read, straight from the horse's mouth. I'm only reading into it as much as Geoff is writing into it.

I'm taking it the same as you. I'm a huge fan of Godspeed (can't say the same about Geoff at all) and I love the song title and thinks it makes sense in a critical manner. I guess that's what i want it to be referencing even it that isn't what it is, though.

I'm taking it the same as you. I'm a huge fan of Godspeed (can't say the same about Geoff at all) and I love the song title and thinks it makes sense in a critical manner. I guess that's what i want it to be referencing even it that isn't what it is, though.

Ive read multiple interviews with him stating his love for Godspeed and a silver mt zion. He even used one of their song titles in the lyrics for the War All the Time album.

Ive read multiple interviews with him stating his love for Godspeed and a silver mt zion. He even used one of their song titles in the lyrics for the War All the Time album.

Not really.

Geoff Rickly said: [...]

They were the same lyrics, but I totally stole that from like a South American poet! Maybe you stole it from the same person that I did! [Laughs]

What are the Thursday and Godspeed songs in question?

I suspect it's "Take These Hands and Throw Them in the River"... which is the fourth track off the Silver Mt. Zion album Born Into Trouble As the Sparks Fly Upward (2001), and also the first line of the chorus of Thursday's For the Workforce, Drowning.  Which kicked off their 2003 record War All the Time.  Those who aren't aware, A Silver Mt. Zion is a side-project of Godspeed that features Efrim and a handful of other GY!BE members.

I really hoped so. Not to throw a jab at you personally, but I'm never surprised by the lack of reading comprehension these days. Ain't no one got time to read threads completely.

I feel ya. Hence my initial sarcastic comment aimed at those inacapable of reading the page that they are on!

So I got home today and was able to open this up and listen. Except my side A of Serious Business is exactly the same as side A of the other 7" packaged in it... Side B is totally fine though. It's rather strange

I'm confused. Like the same song on both side a's of the 7" contain serious business and both side b's contain different songs?