Does it seem like Epitaph has been killing it and Fat has been just decent?

I don't mean for this to start a "which label is better" (although, I do recognize I'm on the Internet), but it just seems like Epitaph has been getting the best bands. From Propagandhi, The Menzingers, The Lawrence Arms, and now Joyce Manor. Fat definitely has its current active standouts like Masked Intruder, Bad Cop Bad Cop, Strung Out, and Banner Pilot, but don't have the same energy they used to. 

I also realize that Epitaph puts out ALOT of shit, but it's fairly easy to ignore that nonsense.

What do you think? Am I totally off base? Would love to hear what everyone thinks.

Epitaph is really down the shitter compared to where they were twenty or even fifteen years ago. You could probably say the same about Fat, but they didn't go from Punk-O-Rama to signing bands like I Killed the Prom Queen.

Epitaph has definitely lost its "punk rock" focus and shifted toward those toward of bands, which given their popularity makes me wonder when Epitaph will start trying to sign Top 40 artists.

Both could use some music that doesn't eat shit. I own more Epitaph releases than I do Fat releases, but most of them are just represses of the albums NOFX did on Epitaph.

Also, I have to say that I like Mike a whole lot more than I like Brett, if only because Mike doesn't try to sell Fat's bands' rights to major labels.

But, if you're speaking only about how many good releases have been out lately, then I guess Epitaph has the lead - even if they are all reissues.

Epitaph is really down the shitter compared to where they were twenty or even fifteen years ago. You could probably say the same about Fat, but they didn't go from Punk-O-Rama to signing bands like I Killed the Prom Queen.

Epitaph has definitely lost its "punk rock" focus and shifted toward those toward of bands, which given their popularity makes me wonder when Epitaph will start trying to sign Top 40 artists.

Both could use some music that doesn't eat shit. I own more Epitaph releases than I do Fat releases, but most of them are just represses of the albums NOFX did on Epitaph.

Also, I have to say that I like Mike a whole lot more than I like Brett, if only because Mike doesn't try to sell Fat's bands' rights to major labels.

But, if you're speaking only about how many good releases have been out lately, then I guess Epitaph has the lead - even if they are all reissues.

You may have made a good case 5 or so years ago, but more of their new signings have been Orgcore than crabcore. If anything they're gravitating back toward the "Epitaph sound".

Fat ruins bands that have been established, but the bands they break are really good. Epi doesn't break brands.

They put out the best records by Against Me! (Ok, maybe on par with RAR) and the Lawrence arms.

I know it's looking a bit far back, but those are some huge records in this community.

Epitaph did not do as well with the Lawrence Arms (that record is pretty good but no where near Fat material quality).

I really liked the new Sundowner record. I also really like that all three albums are different. It's also nice that he just didn't want to keep pumping out songs that sound like The Lawrence Arms on acoustic guitar. 

Also I'm kind of confused by this thread. Epitaph has put out some pretty good albums lately, yet have still released horrible albums. Fat has put out stuff that doesn't deviate too far from Orgcore material. Some are better than others. I don't try and simply compare these two labels because there are a bunch of labels still putting out awesome music. Focus on that.

I really liked the new Sundowner record. I also really like that all three albums are different. It's also nice that he just didn't want to keep pumping out songs that sound like The Lawrence Arms on acoustic guitar. 

Also I'm kind of confused by this thread. Epitaph has put out some pretty good albums lately, yet have still released horrible albums. Fat has put out stuff that doesn't deviate too far from Orgcore material. Some are better than others. I don't try and simply compare these two labels because there are a bunch of labels still putting out awesome music. Focus on that.

I agree completely that Fat hasn't really deviated and Epitaph has put out some complete shit. 

When I was in high school (in the late 90s) both Epitaph and Fat both churned out the best bands. Now, it seems that Epitaph will recognize when a band is on the verge of blowing up and catapult them to that next level. Fat seems to be subsisting just below that. Maybe, I'm off base, but that's where the comparison comes from in my view.