Jesse Cannon and I have a podcast called Off The Record. In a new episode we discussed vinyl reissues at length regarding how the licensing process, band reach out, etc processes go. This was all in-light of the recent Cartel/Enjoy The Ride controversy and spurred on by my experience with Bad Timing Records and our reissuing of Acceptance and Valencia releases.

The discussion starts a couple minutes in. We also talked about "marketing excitement" regarding how it took longer than expected for Midtown's recent reissue to sell out.

You can listen here.

To be fair, Cartel hasn't been relevant to my tastes since 2004 or so; I don't think I've visited that thread once. Not even after it was locked, much to my puzzlement. I'd also appreciate a quick rundown without derailing this thread too much.

I know ETR puts out a descent product, but like chamb just said – when you focus entirely on reissues, I'm surprised there haven't been more legal issues sooner. (If that's what indeed happened.)

That's the thing, it wasn't a legal issue. Long story short:

ETR requested the license from Epic, Epic agreed, ETR talked to the band to get their blessing, the band said to talk to their manager, their manager said yes, ETR and the manager talked about doing a tour press through ETR, ETR had them pressed, the band/manager stopped communicating with ETR, ETR released the record, the band took to twitter to say they had no knowledge of the release and they'd be doing their own separate 10 year release, ETR responded, back and forth arguing over this, everyone agrees it was miscommunication, band asked for copies.

Hell of a run on sentence.

ETR requested the license from Epic, Epic agreed, ETR talked to the band to get their blessing, the band said to talk to their manager, their manager said yes, ETR and the manager talked about doing a tour press through ETR, ETR had them pressed, the band/manager stopped communicating with ETR, ETR released the record, the band took to twitter to say they had no knowledge of the release and they'd be doing their own separate 10 year release, ETR responded, back and forth arguing over this, everyone agrees it was miscommunication, band asked for copies.

Wow, that sounds like a headache.  And I'm assuming the thread became locked because it dissolved into pictures of Shaq and cat gifs?

Anyways, I do appreciate the concise breakdown.

Surprisingly very little Shaq. Ross from ETR was in the thread explaining his side, Nic from the band came in to say their piece. There were people saying they wanted to return their copies, debate on the morality of getting the artist's blessing, and just a lot of tension/drama that was, at first, broken by the cat gifs. Once people started arguing again over the same things and just beating a dead horse, it went to hell with wrestling gifs and characters. It was pretty funny, but got old.

I had no idea any of this went down until I listened to the Modern Vinyl podcast. I'm not a fan of the band, and Ross seems like an okay guy. I've even purchased a few of ETR's releases. But how does this keep happening to the label? First it was RX Bandits, then Chad from NFG completely blew up on him (which squashed that release), now this. 

I'm not trying to derail the thread or anything, it just baffles me how this can happen so many times to the same label. I'll try to give this a listen on my work commute.

Surprisingly very little Shaq. Ross from ETR was in the thread explaining his side, Nic from the band came in to say their piece. There were people saying they wanted to return their copies, debate on the morality of getting the artist's blessing, and just a lot of tension/drama that was, at first, broken by the cat gifs. Once people started arguing again over the same things and just beating a dead horse, it went to hell with wrestling gifs and characters. It was pretty funny, but got old.

thanks (and sorry) for rehashing. hopefully no one will come in and try to rekindle the debate, i was just curious as to what went on. i missed the blink thread in its entirety, for example. it's hard to tell where the parties are at sometimes ya know?

thanks (and sorry) for rehashing. hopefully no one will come in and try to rekindle the debate, i was just curious as to what went on. i missed the blink thread in its entirety, for example. it's hard to tell where the parties are at sometimes ya know?

(I was referring to the podcast for rehashing, not you!)