Going to Europe (Germany, Italy, France, Greece) - Record Shops? Dives? Hostels?

So, I'm heading to Europe. My wife and I are super excited. We're going for 3 weeks. Flying into Istanbul, Turkey then the next day flying to Germany. We're then going to make our way to France, Italy and Greece before heading back to Istanbul to fly home. 

I haven't told the wife yet, but I bought tickets to the Taubertal Festival in Germany. Have to check out Biffy Clyro. Prodigy is playing as well, but don't know if I'm going to want to stick around for another day.

Seriously interested in getting off the beaten path and hitting up as many dive bars as possible (suggestions?) and getting to a lot of record shops (suggestions?). Suggestions on Hostels? 

We're definitely on a budget so any help would be awesome. 

Anything else I need to know? I've never left the States and it seems like there's a lot I could fuck up on. I can see my self missing a train or taking the wrong one, ha. 

Cities would help :P ! I live in Hannover, Germany! Best record store around here is Monster Records! I also can recommend Burnout Records in Hamburg! If you spent Münster a visit you should totally check out Green Hell and in Freiburg you shouldn't miss Flight13!

If you want any other recommendations beside record stores you need to tell me where you're located ;)

also, I'm not sure how obvious this is to everyone else but if you take a cab, tell them to let the meter run instead of having them offer you a flat rate. they make it seem like €20 is cheap for a ride a few miles away but with a meter it'll only be like €7. at least that's how it was in Rome.

• 1 month later...

Ok, I'm back with more input on what cities we will be traveling too  :D

We are leaving on August 6th and coming back on August 29th. 

Any help on cheap hostels, records shops, trains, dive bars, anything off the beaten path...etc. Any suggestions for first timers to Europe...you get the picture.  

Flying into Istanbul, Turkey (only there for 4 hours) and then taking a flight to Nuremberg, Germany. We will be in Nuremberg for one day/night. We will then be making our way by train to Rothenburg, Germany for 2 days/nights. From Rothenburg, we will take a train to Frankfurt, Germany where we'll fly to France. Paris 3 nights and then Normandy for one. We'll then take the chunnel to London, England for 4 nights. From England we will be flying to Switzerland. 2 nights in Interlaken, Switzerland (does anyone know any cool places to stay...should we stay in Interlaken or try to find a small town in the mountains?) From Interlaken we'll take the train to Cinque Terre, Italy (2 nights) and then to Rome, Italy (2 nights). We'll fly to Athens, Greece for the remainder of our trip and then take a plane to Istanbul to fly home. 

Getting really excited  :lol:

Thanks for any help!!!

Ok, I'll try fill in with the places I know:

- Frankfurt (not sure if you're staying or just transferring to the airport): not a lot of nightlife, expecially during August, but the central area along river Main ist kewl. Look for Sick Wreckords and No.2 to acquire some decent wax. Go hit a fkk brothel.

-Cinque Terre: don't even think about buying records there. Focus on food and drinks. Get loads of focaccia and pasta al pesto. Go see the Gigante in Monterosso.

-Rome: don't even think about buying records there. Focus on art, churches and stuff. Too much to see to waste time buying crappy overpriced records. Go see my man Pope Francesco.

-Interlaken: never been there but if you're not so sure about staying there why don't you try to reach Gruyeres that's just an hour away? Village is beautiful and they have the HR Giger museum!

-Paris: go hit MusicFearSatan for modern hc/punk/metal/whatever records.

-London: I bet you'll love the east London/Brick Lane vibes. Berwick St and Notting Hill are the places to dig for records: look up the Music Exchange chain locations, Sister Ray, Revival Records. Mandatory tour of the Camden Town pubs. Angel is ok too. They have Flashback records there.

If you still haven't booked every transfer check out what comes up in SkyScanner ot consider getting an Interrail pass.