PO soon: Earth - Primitive and Deadly

Yeah, first listens and it sounds like it was somehow rushed. I was expecting (don't know why) a bit more depth. I'm not crazy about that guitar tone as well, the way the songs were structured asked for a fuller guitar sound, he could have explored the Earth 2 technique and filled the air with a bigger wall of guitar sounds. It's some kind of a mix between Hex approach and the straight rock from Pentastar. Not bad, but could have been better.

Dylan's been a busy man in the last couple of years and although he always manage to keep a high standard, it could be a case of him overdoing this act in such a small time frame. I recognize the vocals, the solos and the heavier distortion are all new points into his americana music and it should be raved as a good thing. But perhaps he could take a break and breath a bit more next time.

I'm having a lot of fun with this album.  Honestly, Earth have established such a distinct sound – more accurately, I should say that Dylan has established such a distinct sound with Earth – that any departure from their past 4 albums is going to be a little jarring.  That slow burning, trance-inducing guitar drone is a wondrous thing... and I wouldn't be the least bit upset if they continued to churn out albums of that nature.  But at the same time, I'm all about groups sort of pushing their creative envelope.  And I think that's what they did with P&D.  It's unlike any Earth record, and I'm finding that I'm able to enjoy it more and more with each play.  There's a lot going on with it, but I feel like I'm processing it better and better (and finding even more things to enjoy) with each revisit.

i gotta agree....

Y'all are nuts. This is a damn-near perfect album.

bloody awesome record. the divergences from that 'Earth' sound during the album create a touch of experimentation that breaks it all open. It is a claustrophobic listen, but I dont think that takes anything away from the quality. I envisaged the vocals being more maligned within the whole, but again, they dont take anything away from the record. Actually, Rabia's vocal contributions are stunning. Lanegan's 'Rook's...' vocals are less in yer face than in '...Serpent...' but I'm digging. Digging well.

Love the rekkid.

The vocals I could honestly take or leave at this point... but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't enjoy the album just a bit more if it were instrumental.  But listening right now, I've got to say that I actually really like everything that brings Zodiacal Light together – vocals included.  I was pretty iffy on that track when it was released as a single, but it's grown on me immensely.

But listening right now, I've got to say that I actually really like everything that brings Zodiacal Light together – vocals included.

I think her vocals are great on that.  I can understand people being put off by Lanegan's vocals, especially on Serpent Coming, it's far more intrusive on Earth's style than Rabia's are.

I like that Earth was willing to take some risks, even if it did alienate some of their fan base.

I think her vocals are great on that.  I can understand people being put off by Lanegan's vocals, especially on Serpent Coming, it's far more intrusive on Earth's style than Rabia's are.

I like that Earth was willing to take some risks, even if it did alienate some of their fan base.

Word.  I'm still coming around to Serpent, myself, but it's not enough to deter me from spinning the album.  I'm pretty damn happy with how it turned out, even if it wasn't exactly what I was expecting.

Damn. All this talk is making me look even more forward to finally getting the wax.

I didn't instantly get into From The Zodiacal Light either but now after I did, it definitely stands quite at the top of my favourite Earth tracks. Intuitively that tells me it's just a matter giving it some time to get used to the new approach.

Am I the only one who thinks Chris Cornell should've done "There is a serpent coming" and Axl Rose "Rooks across the gates"?

Haven't listened to it but I could definitely vouch for an Earth meets Chris Cornell track. In my mind, that seems like it would be quite fitting.