MAN ADVICE v2.0

Does anybody have an experience with a poly relationship? I could use someone to talk to but don't really want to do so publicly.

I don't have experience but I know of a few friends who have been in one. I've asked how it works without anyone getting jealous and they say you have to be honest and communicate everything so there are no secrets.

You're not broken dude. It's a shitty cycle. And it will stop stop when you're ready for it to stop.

I think this girl just gave me a taste of what it would feel like to actually be in compatible relationship again.  Every girl between her and my ex have just been these lusty, sex-based flings with no depth outside of it.  But hanging out with her made me feel a way I hadn't felt in years.  Opportunities and experiences began to unfold in my head.  I felt those anxious butterflies imbued with profound optimism, hope.

I hung out with her until 3am again last night.  We just smoked a bunch of weed and listened to records.  Had a nice dinner and dessert, then watched some shows.  Usually, when I'd have a girl over in the exact same situation, it would end in sex.  But I didn't make a move or try to steer the night toward that.  I was comfortable in just spending time with her.

Earlier today, I text her and let her know about how I feel toward her.  I don't think anything is going to come of this... and it's honestly a bit of a relief. 

Does anybody have an experience with a poly relationship? I could use someone to talk to but don't really want to do so publicly.

The guy I started the original man advice thread about considered himself polyamorous, but really didn't do it in a way that worked for him. I think it more just worked as an excuse for him to see several women at the same time and get away with it.

I can absolutly see poly relationships working as long as everyone is open and honest. I just read an article yesterday about a few different poly couples. One group assigned levels of importance to their different relationships. One relationship was the main, and others branching from there were more surface level. And then a different group was very equal, each respective relationship was emotionally deep, sexual, and meaningful.

I know I've voiced this opinion several times here and it's something I've struggled with for a while, but I really don't think humans are meant to be monogamous. Not that we should all be poly but just that there are several people in the world we could spend forever with and be perfectly happy and content. I don't think there's just one person out there for us. So I don't know. When I was first introduced to the poly lifestyle, before I met jimmy. I thought it might be something that could work for me. Now I'm not so sure, it just seems complicated as fuck. I think I could maintain a sexual relationship with more than one person, but an emotional, intellectual relationship with more than one person... seems very draining.

I think I could maintain a sexual relationship with more than one person, but an emotional, intellectual relationship with more than one person... seems very draining.

I agree wholeheartedly.  I think another component that shakes this idea up for me is that these sexual relationships can unexpectedly develop into emotional/intellectual relationships.  "Catching feels" for another person can cause fissures in the main relationship and can dissolve that.

It just seems like a minefield for heartbreak, jealousy, deception, and anguish.

The guy I started the original man advice thread about considered himself polyamorous, but really didn't do it in a way that worked for him. I think it more just worked as an excuse for him to see several women at the same time and get away with it.

I can absolutly see poly relationships working as long as everyone is open and honest. I just read an article yesterday about a few different poly couples. One group assigned levels of importance to their different relationships. One relationship was the main, and others branching from there were more surface level. And then a different group was very equal, each respective relationship was emotionally deep, sexual, and meaningful.

I know I've voiced this opinion several times here and it's something I've struggled with for a while, but I really don't think humans are meant to be monogamous. Not that we should all be poly but just that there are several people in the world we could spend forever with and be perfectly happy and content. I don't think there's just one person out there for us. So I don't know. When I was first introduced to the poly lifestyle, before I met jimmy. I thought it might be something that could work for me. Now I'm not so sure, it just seems complicated as fuck. I think I could maintain a sexual relationship with more than one person, but an emotional, intellectual relationship with more than one person... seems very draining.

Ugh, I hate to ask this but do you mind if I PM you? You always have a good take on things in this thread and I'm pretty fucked right now.

I was the guy who was the nail in the coffin to a 3 year polygamous relationship. I think it really came out at this party I was sleeping with this girl, her boyfriend knew and had his thing on the side too but was super jealous. The whole night he kept smoking me out but would not  speak a word to me or look me in the eye, after like an hour I snuck off with her to the roof and fooled around. I left and the next day they had a huge fight and called an end to it all. I tried to be her support but she needed to be alone and pushed me away and  cut off contact. I think she is married now

I know I kind of contradicted myself in that last post. I do think poly can work... for the right couples. I think you'd really have to be in the mindset of being okay thinking about your sig other having sex with someone else.

No real experience personally, but I have seen some people succeed/fail at poly relationships.

Generally speaking, I think when people try to go poly because things aren't going well in their relationship, it's a complete trainwreck. 

If you find yourself talking about it when things are good, then it's more likely to be successful.

And then of course, if you're in a position where you are a possible addee to an existing relationship, it's really going to come down to exactly what the parameters of that relationship are and whether you are comfortable with them.

These things vary from out-of-sight-out-of-mind to hardcore dogs-and-cats-living-together shit.

So funny story..crushed on this girl I worked with at a previous store. She had a boyfriend. I move to new store. Randomly see her on okcupid. We chat and make it known that we know each other and secretly had a crush on each other. We decide to hang out. I ask her where she lives and I'll pick her up...we live in the same apartment complex. It's a very funny situation. But we hung out last night over a few beers and had a great time. The end.

So funny story..crushed on this girl I worked with at a previous store. She had a boyfriend. I move to new store. Randomly see her on okcupid. We chat and make it known that we know each other and secretly had a crush on each other. We decide to hang out. I ask her where she lives and I'll pick her up...we live in the same apartment complex. It's a very funny situation. But we hung out last night over a few beers and had a great time. The end.

way to go hope it works out for you

My wife is out for drinks with her friends and I gave our daughter a bath and put her to sleep for the night.

I cracked a beer and began folding the pile of laundry on the bed, trying to clean up because we are showing the house tomorrow. Buried in the pile I found some kind of tiger or lion stuffed animal, something my wife must have bought for the girl. As I set it aside I notice it has buckles and I get confused. On closer inspection I think it is some kind of harness. Like you buckle it your kid and then you are tethered. You are the parent with a child on a leash.

We aren't leash parents. At least I'm not. I would have rather found a dick pic on her phone. I feel so betrayed.

I like this story :)

My wife is out for drinks with her friends and I gave our daughter a bath and put her to sleep for the night.

I cracked a beer and began folding the pile of laundry on the bed, trying to clean up because we are showing the house tomorrow. Buried in the pile I found some kind of tiger or lion stuffed animal, something my wife must have bought for the girl. As I set it aside I notice it has buckles and I get confused. On closer inspection I think it is some kind of harness. Like you buckle it your kid and then you are tethered. You are the parent with a child on a leash.

We aren't leash parents. At least I'm not. I would have rather found a dick pic on her phone. I feel so betrayed.

uuuummmmm. pics.

might have a matching gag ball.

On closer inspection I think it is some kind of harness. Like you buckle it your kid and then you are tethered. You are the parent with a child on a leash.

i tell you what, ever since that 50 shades of grey. roll with it.

worst case scenario you can now take your kid for a walk. or tie them to a chair if they misbehave.

I saw a leashed kid at the airport. Exactly like what you're describing, it was a stuffed animal harness that the child wore, attached to a retractable leash. At one point the mom was so flustered she yanked her child forward and the kid face planted. For the love of god dispose of that leash and never speak of it again.

I have a crush on a gay girl.

Your life is well on its way to being the plot to a bad sit-com.   Wasn't it an a foreign exchange student last week?

Tune in next week to find out what happens when record_junkie accidentally schedules a dinner date with two different girls on the same night! 

Your life is well on its way to being the plot to a bad sit-com.   Wasn't it an a foreign exchange student last week?

Tune in next week to find out what happens when record_junkie accidentally schedules a dinner date with two different girls on the same night! 

You know what's funny is that exact situation has happened, but it wasn't a dinner date.  The story behind that isn't as funny as it could have been - but still, I was in too deep for a while there and I had to rein back my enthusiasm for the single life.  

Before the exchange student, I wasn't really looking for "love" or even a girlfriend.  But then I met her and she opened up a longing that I didn't know I had anymore.  I knew it was doomed from the get-go, so I chose not to pursue it.  Which was good, because she's also the one that's gay.

When we first met in our group, we touched on a plethora of topics - one of which was sexuality, numbers, and orientation.  She had said that she was a 5 on the Kinsey scale (which means she's "Predominantly homosexual, only incidentally heterosexual") and that she had 14 female partners and 1 male partner.  In my rose-tinted eagerness to be with her, I ignored this statement and hung out with her.  And this wasn't as ignorant as it sounds, because she is very friendly (read: flirty) and doesn't ascribe to traditional American values of intimacy and what entails a friendship.  

For instance, she'd snapchat me in the morning - her in bed, nude with covers on, looking supremely beautiful and saying something like "I miss waking up to cuddles".  This right here confuses the fuck out of me.  And to be honest, I just like spending time with her as a friend, so it's not really a loss on my part... only my heart's.  ;)

poon_junkie

lel, noooooooooooooo

Though I think I may have a problem with female codependency, no joke.  And a problem with attracting women who are less than stable (though it makes for good times, good sex, and good stories).  But outside of that, I think I'm more of a "companionship_junkie" or "love_junkie".

That is, until I get my heart broken and use my penis to go on a warpath again.